16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Nice looking Simson
16'er
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:38 am  Reply with quote

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/VINTAGE-SIMSON-CO-16-GA-SHOTGUN_EE54287B03/

The less common double hook hinge. No personal connection to auction. As per usual with these, fees are high, so if bidding best to call the auction house direct.
wahoo
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:39 am  Reply with quote

Nice looking gun, and the bidding is still reasonable, but I don't know what to think of that double hook action receiver. That looks kinda flimsy to me, which is ironic given that the German guns are generally very robust. Would like to have it in hand to get a better sense of things. Wonder how much it weighs...

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
steve f
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

I can see the 'Nitro' stamp on the breech end of the barrels, but no date stamp on the barrel flats. That would mean a proof date circa 1912-1922 (again, assuming I'm seeing things correctly).
gjw
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:03 am  Reply with quote

Hi all, I checked into this one. They know nothing about the gun. Here's what I asked:

Hi, couple questions on this gun: 1) What are the chokes? 2) Does this gun have ejectors or extractors? 3) What is the chamber length? Thanks! Greg

And here's the response:

Greg - quite sure you know way more about this gun then I do. We are not gun experts or dealers but sell them when requested to by a consignor. Hers the info I have: Vintage Simson & Co 16 Gauge Side x Side Double Barrel Shotgun. Engraved receiver. Blue Coin Finish Nitro Barrels, Walnut Stock. European Swing Swivels and Cheek Piece, Color Case hardened steel butt plate. Simson Jaeger. Serial 8457. Shiny bores. Barrel 28 1/8". Overall length 45 1/2". Very good condition

So.............looks like this maybe a crap shoot, depending on what your looking for.

Still, nice looking gun.

Best,

Greg

steve f
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:41 am  Reply with quote

As far as chokes, there's a 'W' for the left barrel (on the left flat), meaning it has significant choke, at least IC and probably a lot more than that. The right barrel doesn't have the 'W' stamp, it could be a true cylinder or have a few thou of choke, something like Skt1 (from what I understand they didn't mark a barrel as choked if it only had a very slight constriction). This is assuming the bores haven't been screwed with, jug choked, etc. I've had a couple of German guns that did not have the 'W' stamp on the right barrel, and they still had a small amount of choke. It's common for vintage guns to have tight chokes in both barrels, but you can find older guns with more open chokes that are original.

From looking at the pics of the breech end of the barrels, it looks like an extractor gun, no ejectors.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:02 am  Reply with quote

I like the looks of it. There is a pretty good crack low behind the action that will need attention, could be others, but that's the only red flag I see.
gjw
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Boy, do I feel like an idiot!! I didn't see the other pictures! Guess I'm getting old. The other ones I've seen noe have answered some of the details on this on.

Cheesy
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:25 am  Reply with quote

23% buyers premium, plus $25 to their FFL guy, plus shipping, plus your local FFL guys fee.