16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1-1/4 & 1-3/8 ounce 16 GA loads
Bill K
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:51 am  Reply with quote

On this subject reloading has progressed from ‘a scoop of this and a scoop of that recipes’ to mathematical calculations - and that’s the no fun part.

Another consideration brings Sir Isaac Newton’s Second Law of Physics into consideration, and that is for every action there is an equal an opposite reaction - other wise known as recoil.

As a matter of note a friend of mine who came up with a box of factory loaded 1-1/4 ounce loads, gave them to me because they generated too much recoil through his vintage Sweet 16

I’ve experimented with some 1-1/4 and 1-3/8 ounce loads, but I did so with trepidation.

What I’m looking for are realizable safe recipes preferably with low pressure - so I’m open to suggestion.
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
megasupermagnum wrote:
I've always been curious about a 1 3/8 oz load myself, and may get around to developing one now that I have the Pressure Trace II system.

Still working on my 1.375 load and now that Waterfowl has closed can get back to the project. I've read some about the PT II system but it isn't clear how it's calibrated to know it's accurate. Have you played with it enough to share how it's calibrated?

Putz463 were you ever able to complete your 1 1/4oz bismuth loads with satisfactory results? I have been thinking of making my old beat up Remington sportsman 48 a duck gun and have been looking at the possibilities of 1 1/4oz bismuth loads.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:12 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Airmedic,

I am with you. There are times when a larger gauge just makes things easier.

Pushing a 16 to 1 3/8 oz., I guess you can, but a 12 does it with ease.

Kinda like 1/2 & 3/4 oz. loads in a 12 gauge. There are other gauges that work better for the lighter payloads.

No offense to anyone, just my opinion.

I even developed a 3/4 oz. load for the 16. I loaded about 300 of them but IMHO it was time wasted. To me the sweet spot for the 16 is 7/8 oz. to 1 1/8 oz. loads.

I do use 1 1/4 oz. loads for turkey hunting.

Never really found a need for 1 3/8 oz. loads to be honest.

I'm with you on the sweet spot. I prefer over oz over 7/8's but I use 7/8's almost as much as 7/8's.

Although the 16 handles the 1-1/8 & 1-1/4 really well on the big birds.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

"Putz463 were you ever able to ....."

To a degree, the 1 3/8oz (modified Bill's) Bis load is working but haven't had it tested, yet, RE; PR testing facility is working but on a very limited schedule since the beginning of C19 so haven't sent it in for final testing. Will share when vetted.

Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Much appreciated!
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
It is the one arena where a long shot string, an efficiency destroyer on crossing targets,…

Long shot string is a two way street. Tiresome to read over and over how long shot string has negligible impact, when in fact as Wyo correctly points out, effectiveness against crossing targets can be greatly enhanced by long shot string. But depending on circumstances long shot string can also reduce effectiveness.
B.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Here is my 2 cents on shot string on long crossing birds/targets.......I wouldn't bet on consistently hitting anything with the shot string.

How many folks here can consistently break known flight path targets at over 40 yards?

That is the problem, shot string does not start to become an issue, with a good solid load, until 40 yards plus.

Now add to that a live bird, that you don't know the exact flight path.......you better hit it with more than a couple of pellets, because that bad boy will be giving you the finger and waving goodbye.

The first part about using the shotstring to kill, you have to over lead the bird. Where do most people miss? Behind.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:08 am  Reply with quote

To take shot string a bit further. Go on Facebook and search Jimmy Muller. He has some ShotKam footage of killing waterfowl at 40, 50, 60 and 70 yards and just look at the lead. Obviously he is a great shooter (he is I have shot Sporting with him a number of times) but most of us, this includes me, would never even attempt some of the shots he is making. The point is look at his leads and now tell me that most of us could ever over lead and hit a bird with the shot string.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:15 am  Reply with quote

As trapshooter wants told me. You may get lucky and break the target with some over lead but you'll never break the target lead behind the target.
DanLee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:11 am  Reply with quote

I have my doubts that the shot string makes any difference at all at the target. Keeping it simple, a target at 60 mph and a shot string 10 feet long at 1,000 fps means the target moves less than a foot in the time it takes the whole string to pass the target's path. The pattern is hopefully wider than 12 inches. Much more important is getting the shot to the point where it intersects with the target, and that means aiming at a point well ahead of the target.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:27 am  Reply with quote

After several failed attempts trying get this 6lbs of potatoes in a 5lb bag load going, goal being to replicate 16gaDavis' BD load w/Asteel powder. Tried a different route and saw progress, still some room for improvement but exited about the full petal protected shot column. PR tested...

Fio, Ched209, 23grn Asteel, CB0100-16 flared cup cut the crush legs at the knees turn 90* and clip together, 1 3/8oz Bismuth #BB, 2 OSC, roll.

1102, SD5, EV13
7405, SD471, EV1060

Even at this speed should hammer the Geese in the dekes. I'll try adding some more mustard and see what shakes out.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:48 am  Reply with quote

For you folks looking 1 3/8 oz. loads, why not try a Cheddite/RIO hull, Federal 209A, 21 or so grains of Steel powder, a plastic gas seal, a mylar wrap, a felt wad under the shot of whatever thickness needed to get a good crimp. You might even be able to buffer this load.

I have been successful using the above for 1 1/8 oz. buffered bismuth, 1 1/4 oz. buffered lead and a steel shot load. I have posted the results of the bismuth and lead loads before.

It makes things easier than trying to use a 1 piece wad......just sayin'.......and with the gas seal there is no chance of powder migration.