16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  I lost a hunting buddy
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:32 am  Reply with quote

My wife's brother has been suffering with a terrible disease called Total System Atrophy (akin to Parkinson's or Lou Gehrig's); he's been wheel chair bound for the past few years. We lost him Wednesday. He was about 14-15 years old when I first showed up as a long haired freaky art student for my first date with his big sister; he's almost more brother to me than my own two, both somewhat older than I. We've stomped many a bird cover together and even though I always toted a double gun and he shot one of those auto thingies (and shot them well) we navigated these old prairies pretty well. In a way it's a blessing I suppose; he had nothing but suffering ahead. But still. Here he is in happier times with his three granddaughters. Stanley Merlin Critchfield - rest well, brother. I love ya. I'm reminded of the ending of a John Hewitt story where John's father was asked if an old friend had been a good hunting partner. His reply: "As good as there was. As good as there was."

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:12 am  Reply with quote

I am saddened by your loss. It's odd how memories hover along with us. I woke up this morning and something I did reminded me of Jimmy, my outdoor buddy from childhood, who passed last September.

The more time we all spend together, especially doing the meaningful and triumphant things that nature permits us in the great outdoors, the stronger the bond and more compelling the memories are. The absences become powerfully difficult but the reminiscences are so much sweeter... and that's what makes us smile, giggle, or cry at most unexpected moments. These are the reminders that let us know that our friend was truly a loved and cherished part of our family and who we are. I pray for your comfort and that your recollections bring tears of joy at the times when you need them most.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:08 am  Reply with quote

f2f,

WyoChukar put it into words that I never could, I only add this, be grateful that the Lord let you have such a trusted friend and hunting partner, cherish his memory always.

Very sorry for your loss.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:30 am  Reply with quote

I am sorry for you loss!!
Losing a friend and hunting buddy is particularly troubling.

Mike

hayseed
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:31 am  Reply with quote

May we all be so lucky to be blessed with good friends, good dogs, good hunting and great memories.

God Bless
1stgun
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

I, too, am saddened by your loss and pain.

In April, after suffering the debilitation of Parkinson's, my longtime hunting, fishing, and hunt test partner passed. A man of few words but great emotions who truly cherished his time in the field and on the water.

My condolences,
Chuck

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:21 am  Reply with quote

I have always been scared that when I lost someone close I would forget them. Time does heal the sharp pain of a loss, but the silver lining is that their memory lives on as bright as bright can be.

All my best.....

double vision
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:36 am  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this, Phil. I've been hunting with the same "best friend" since we where in high school, and I can't imagine the loss you are feeling. Take comfort in knowing you had a good run doing what you love to do with a terrific member of the family.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you, my friends, for your kind words. Stan would be humbled that so many good folks took the time to wish him Godspeed. It is much appreciated.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Purple16
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:08 am  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about loosing your friend Phil. I'm sure he is in happier hunting grounds. Condolences to you and your family.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."