16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Help on 16GA Sterlingworth
jig
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Hello-Ive been lurking here a while and really enjoy this site.
I stumbled upon a great sterlingworth today and would like some input.
The gun is a Utica model and in mechanically the best condition I have yet to find in a 16GA sterly. Bores are mirror action locks up tight with top lever well right of center. The wood is as good as Ive seen only with honest wear for a gun this age. The exterior of the bores are a bit rough with no rust or pitting but almost look as though something was spilled on them and messed up the blueing. That is, the blue is there and normal in some places and rough or not glossy in others. Not normal looking wear per say where you would see some silver showing. Rather, it looks as though a glass of milk or juice was spilled on them and not wiped off. The price for the gun is $1300.00. I could have the bbls re-blued for about $300.00 bucks.The receiver is a bit rough in that it needs to be polished. But again, it doesnt seem corroded-more kind of gummed up a bit. Could be that someone attempted to reblue the bbls at some point and that is why they appear as I've explained. Should I buy this gun? Also, should I polish the receiver or what? I don't want to pay the money to have it case hardened. There is still pretty decent case color on the bottom side of the receiver. Its just the sides that are marginal (and even they arent too bad). The triggeres are great. Please sum up what I should do to the receiver. I am not a collector and I just want a serviceable shooter. How do I protect the receiver once its polished? Should I have the receiver blued? Thanks.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

For $1300.00 for a Utica gun as described I would pass. If you can get it for $750.00 it would be worth your time and money to have the barrels re-blued. As far as the receiver goes I would leave it alone. The case hardening remains even though the color is gone providing corrosion resistance.
jig
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

What is it about this gun that makes you suggest i pass it up for 1300.00?
All the other sterlys I have seen were in way worse condition than this one especially the one I have seen in the 600-1,000 price range. What is it about Utica guns that make them bad? This gun felt so great-fit me like a glove and very light too. Other than completely redone' sterlys this is the best original condition gun Ive seen. But I'm all ears if you think I shoulkd pass. I can always make a counter offer too.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not bashing Fox guns good lord I own and shoot 3 Stelingworths and an AE grade 16s and have two 12s.

From a economic stand point if you look around you should be able to find a much better gun at the same price as it will cost to purchase and re-blue a disfigured old girl. For the $1,600.00 to $1,700.00 you will end up spending there are a whole bunch of nice Foxes. Look at GunsAmerica, they have a bunch of Fox 16s listed, and remember the price listed is their starting price. Most of these folks will entertain offers. Case in point I recently purcased a 1939 Sterlingworth in 95+% (flawless blue on barrrel and trigger guard, strong case colors on action and forend iron, wood flaking some finish) condition for 70% of the original asking price.

It's your money spend it anyway you see fit but from my experience spending $1,600.00 to $1,700.00 to end up with a $1,000.00 gun does not make good sense.
Big Redhead
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:00 pm  Reply with quote

jig,

My sterly was in about the same condition as the one you are describing, and I paid $589 (or was it $689). Granted, one does not find sterlies every day for $589, but $1300 sounds like a lot unless it is close to pristine condition. But if you want it and you think it is worth the price, then get it. You are the only one that you must please. If the barrels look half-way decent, I'd hunt with it as-is rather than spending the money for blueing. You won't get it back on resale. My sterly was the finest shotgun I ever carried afield and I'm a fool for ever parting with it. Crying or Very sad

jig
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:32 am  Reply with quote

After reading some of these replies I went and did a little research on varrious gun sale sites. Where are you guys buying these good condition sterlys for so cheap - I didnt find one of them in those price ranges. In fact, after researching the one I found started looking better all the time. I saw 12, 16 & 20 GA sterlys from 800-3200 bucks. I'd say the average was about 1850 or so. Even some of the 12 GA's were above 1800 bucks in good condition. And I looked at pix too and wasnt impressed. Yeah, theres a pawn shop down the street with a couple junker sterlys for 650-850 or so but they are pretty rough. So where do you guys find these cheap and good condition sterlys? So far I havent seen any under 1,000 bucks that I'd even bother with. I would buy an older 16GA citori for that price range before I'd grab one of the 800 buck sterlys I've seen. I want something in good shape mechanically and not shot out and unsafe, or needing total rehab.
At least this one for 1300 I would be comfortable taking out to hunt with right now. Its a lightweight 26"bbl upland gun. And thats what I'm really looking for. Something to tote all day in chukar country instead of my Citori XS Skeet at 7 3/4 Lbs. Hell, I saw a fantastic condition Miroku yesterday in 20 GA that looked just like an older superposed for 650.00. But I'm stuck on getting a 16GA -so stuck in fact that I just ordered a new Lee reloading press tonight on cheaper than dirt.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:50 am  Reply with quote

jig-sounds like you're searching for a 'shooter'-wear from honest use (but no abuse) but mechanically excellent. That's what all my guns are and I'd not re-blue the brls and for sure NOT blue the receiver. I suspect what you're describing on the brls is somebody's attempt at cold blue (which BTW would all come off with WD-40 and OOO steel wool) The corrosion on both the brls and receiver would come off using a copper penny and Kleen Bore Formula 3 Gun Conditioner which is sold for about $3 in a 2 oz bottle. Since most of the case colors are gone, I'd then clean up the receiver with Flitz metal polish then keep it protected with some Johnson's paste wax or Renaissance wax. I would definitely confirm the chokes are as described and that the brl have not been cut. Utica guns should have 2 3/4" chambers and would be so stamped on the brls.
It's terribly difficult to assess a gun not in hand, even with internet pics. Certainly rough exteriors suggest equally, if not worse, insides. How's the trigger plate screw? Buggered screws suggest someone was in the gun who had no idea what they were doing. Be sure you have the right of a 3 day return.
I'd certainly offer less than the asking price, but for a 16, I don't think the price is out of line, esp. if it fits you well and is, again, mechanically very good. Don't worry about externals if this will be your primary hunting gun-it will soon have more dings and scratches and that's OK Very Happy
Let us know what you decide.

3DocPop
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:59 am  Reply with quote

jig

I am sure the more knowledgeable members of the board can help with this, but price seems to be related to seasons. Last winter, when I started looking at Sterly's (thanks Rev), prices seemed to be starting at $1,500 and only going up. Over the summer, prices on the gun sites went down, in some cases into the $750 - $800 range, for some pretty good looking guns, at least in the pictures.

I bought my 16ga over the summer with good bluing, little case coloring left, and one ding in the stock, that looks like it can be steamed, for $1,100 on Gunbroker. The original asking price was quite a bit higher, and the gun did not move for a couple of months. We think it did not move because one picture appeared to show a pretty ugly repair to the stock where it joined the action, happily not the case. I called and made an offer that was accepted.

Good luck on your hunt!
Silvers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:16 am  Reply with quote

I'm with RDD. 1300 is a bit high for the gun in the condition you described but before I passed I'd take a good look at the screws on the trigger plate, under the lever and on the tail of the trigger guard. Are they pristine, indicating a gun that hasn't been messed with? I could live with the barrels if the gun had no signs of being apart. Also, check out the chokes. Have they been messed with by let's say a inexperienced guy in his basement with an adjustable reamer? In other words, are they true with the axis of the bores or have they been cut at a tangent or eccentric? Most SW's have tighter chokes so a gun that has something like skeet or even IC is suspect from the get-go. If the gun shows signs of being worked on, I would pass. But if everything checks out, then I'd try to negotiate a better price considering the barrels aren't the best. If you could get the gun for 1000 that would be great. Even if the guy won't budge from 1300 that is still okay for a 16 Utica SW like you describe, that is otherwise original (IMO). In today's world 1300 isn't that much; far too much consideration is given to getting the very best price possible on guns or similar items that aren't going to break the bank so to speak. If you want the gun and you think it's worth it, that's all that matters.

If the barrels really bug you, then have a craftsman like Mike Orlen do a re-blue. I would not use someone who doesn't really know what they are doing; the extra cost will be worth it in the long run. Of course they will look nice and new, and will not match the rest of the gun. You could artifically age the new barrel blue to make it look older if so desired. Lastly, I would not do a single thing to the receiver such as polishing, etc. Too many memories of past hunts on its surface!

I hope these thoughts help. I've been down this road before. Silvers

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
Case in point I recently purcased a 1939 Sterlingworth in 95+% (flawless blue on barrrel and trigger guard, strong case colors on action and forend iron, wood flaking some finish) condition for 70% of the original asking price.

TB,

Just curious: 12ga?

Jig, I'll give you my standard $.02, which is about all it's worth: Life is short. If you really like the gun I sure wouldn't walk away over a few hundred bucks. Get it for the best price you can, use some of the Rev's suggestions to bring it back to as good as possible condition, shoot it and love it. It's a gut/heart thing. JMHO.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Nope Fin it's a 16 gauge with 28 inch barrels choked Modified and full.

The guys down in Texas let this one get away from them.

jig why don't you pose your question on http://www.foxcoletors.com and see what response you recieve over there as we are pretty well split on this forum.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jig
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:47 am  Reply with quote

Well, thank evryone for your replies. I have agreed to buy the gun for $1,000.00 and so did seller. looks like I will have a sterly soon in 16GA/26"bbls. I will use the 3 day inspection period wisely and check chokes/screws etc. Couldve used that gun yesterday.