16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Support your local gun store
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

It should go without saying. Heaven knows, we've had enough back and forth here about the merits and demerits of the various "Big Box" stores that sell guns and ammo. But the one thing we should remember is that they are Corporate America and will help us, support us and sell to us only when they make a buck on it. Beyond making a buck and covering their nut, we really can't count on them to care much about us. The people behind the counter are getting paid … not that much, really. And it's just a job for them. Spend time chatting with you about hunting areas, prospects, you name it? Their supervisor will yell at them (or worse) for not selling you something.

On the other hand, your local gun store is, and has, something more than the Big Box can or will ever have. They're local. The owner is likely working behind the counter. If he's smart, he'll make his place welcoming. Share hunting and fishing tips with you. Take the time to chew the fat about all the different things that go into the hunting and shooting sports. If he doesn't do all the things we know good retailers do, he will fail. And he knows that.

This doesn't mean he's not interested in selling you stuff. His livelihood depends on it. The future of his store does, too.

So, go in there and support him.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Amen,brother!!
wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

I like one near me because I can depend on them to know who I am, and trust me as much as I trust them to look out for each other. I've not bought too many guns from them, but am always looking through their inventory for a gem, and always have my "shipped in" purchases transferred through them. I also have made them some money by selling guns I need to move to them, and they in turn can resale at a profit.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Wahoo,

I agree and use our local gun shop here in Gaines, Pa as much as I can, even the FFL work is done thru them. Unfortunately they do not stock many good SXS American Classic double guns any more, which is mostly what I am interested in purchasing. I do the same with the Rt 66 Gun Shop, I regard them as another local independent gun shop also.

Support your local gun shop.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

Going to the local store is pretty easy here, we don't have big box stores! I too, like local shops and the staff that works at them. Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that aren't even available here. The only items available for shotshell reloading are primers and powder. But these stores do have some great footwear, apparel, and a few of those little necessities for bird hunting. This is big time big game country, so finding a nice old double is exceedingly rare, but the stores do have ammunition, even some 16 ga. fodder and there is a lot of good chatter to partake in.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Got to admit I miss the old time Gun Shop/Hardware stores, especially the ones here in Galeton, Pa. Lots of memories of the old men telling Grouse hunting & Deer hunting stories around the Ben Franklin stove. The talk of the new shotguns and the incredible Ryman Setters, especially those under foot.

The store has an Antique Shop in it now, when I visit the store with my wife I always go to the 2nd floor where all the men met, the Game Commission decal is still on the old glass window of the room where the guns were housed, the memories come flooding back each time I visit. Especially those of my Grandfather and Father purchasing their hunting licenses, showing me all the sporting items little boys dream of and purchasing some peppermint candy.

The place has changed all the chairs are gone, mostly girly stuff in the building now
however the memories the old building provides for me are just incredible. My only regret is I have no boys to pass them on to.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

One of those new L.C. Smith Deluxe guns, little boys dreamed of in my era.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

Well, ime, "local" is no guarantee of anything but, perhaps, a savings on gasoline...my hometown gun store was run by a person who married into the store ownership and carried an attitude that he was owed....customers.
My first purchase there was a 20 gauge Model 37 pump in '68'...it was my last purchase there and I have lived within 20 minutes of that town for the next 51 years.
I was not alone in that opinion and his sour attitude and society's progress eventually and thankfully locked his doors.
I suspect he blamed big box stores.
Now, that experience does not define anymore than the claim of local = good.
Support the stores that deserve it, regardless of address....is a sound idea and that may well be, an option other than local.
"Smart" simply ain't a given.

I will say that growing up around several true country stores where the odd shotgun or .22 could be purchased along with shotshells, hunks of cheese, a frog gig or one bolt while on a trip to pick up the mail(over in the corner) allows me to understand the appeal when local can indeed instill a feeling of trust and of one's own place.
Where a story can be both heard and shared just after the screen door's closing makes that wonderful sound.
df
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

I left Minnesota a year ago. While living there, I was five miles from a gun store called The a GunStop. It’s actually two stores in one, half is reloading, mostly metallic cartridges, and half gun store.
They have a good selection of used and new guns, and will order for you if they don’t have it in stock.
And friendly owners and employees.
I was in there at least weekly for many years.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, the boys don't have to be your own. I have no progeny myself, but fully intend to pass along my memories and knowledge to youngsters who will show an interest and can benefit from it.

wahoo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:30 am  Reply with quote

Those old fashioned hardware stores are sorely missed in my area. I remember as a boy, going into Baxster’s Hardware, and always hovering around the side counter where they had a decent variety of long guns lined up down the wall behind the counter. Most I could afford then, was a box of 22 shorts if I was lucky, but I got plenty of fodder for my imagination there too.

Pop bought my first shotgun from one of those hardware stores and give it to me for Christmas when I was 14.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
T-Bone
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 am  Reply with quote

I much prefer shopping local; for me, it's the White Elephant in Spokane Valley,WA or the Black Sheep In CDA, Idaho.

A number of years ago the first version of Sportsman's Warehouse opened stores near both of these stores and promptly their ownership reps. physically came into both of these long time family owner stores to deliver this message:

"We're pointing you guys out of business!"

A few years later, that version of Sportsman's Warehouse went bankrupt and in fitting justice, the owner of the Black Sheep bought the Sportsman's Warehouse CDA building and relocated his business into it.

Sportsman's Warehouse has reappeared under new ownership with new stores in the Spokane, but not CDA areas. I still stay away.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:00 am  Reply with quote

T-Bone,

There are definitely businesses that I do not support and these kind and the one's who donate to gun control organizations I do not support with my business.

However there are good and bad aspects to the larger sports shops, they usually do have the inventory a smaller shop does not have, however I do support a good local guns shop as much as I can. Ziggies here in Gaines, Pa and the Rt 66 Sports Shop both get a lot of my business. I also purchased my good Browning guns from Anthony Arms just outside of Pittsburgh, Pa All these individually owned guns shops I try to support as often as I can.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

airmedic1
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:04 am  Reply with quote

My LGD doesn't stock things that I like, he's into what sells for him, assault rifles and lower priced handguns. I use him for my FFL transfers and buy a few odds and ends. He gets a lot of used reloading stuff in and it's priced right. I bought a set of reloading dies for a 220 Swift that look like brand new for cheap. I don't have one but I may and it was to pay him for being there. I bought all of his .338 bullets a while back too and haven't shot my 338-06 in over 30 years.
I asked him once if he could order a shotgun I was looking for and he told me that Scheel's was selling them for less than he could buy them. He's an honest guy and I give him a few hundred in transfer fees each year and buy something once in awhile. I hope he stays in business for a long time!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:55 am  Reply with quote

airmedic1,

Here in our mountains we have Ziggys Gun Shop and even when they can not match the price of the bigger box stores like Walmart, I will have them order guns for me. The cost difference to me means very little, having the gun shop there and a man who makes custom Barrels, means more to me than the few extra bucks I have to pay.

I did this with a Ruger Semi Auto 9MM pistol this last year and even had them put the Laser Red Dot sight on it for me. They have always been real nice to us about their FFL costs, when having double guns shipped in from out of state.

They are honest people with a nice small business, and I am glad they are still in business.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

I went to my local gun shop today to buy some powder for loading my new 28ga(and everything else) and when I commented on the good price for the keg(8lb) of Universal I was told that they will be selling everything at reduced prices since the store was closing at the end of the year.
This was a shock to me but I know that JD, the owner, had been having health problems and that was most likely the reason for closing. I will make it a point to stock up on loading supplies there and he is offering guns for sale at lower prices than what he paid for them to get rid of them.

Anybody in Southeast Kansas or NE Oklahoma can go to JD's Gun shop in Parsons , Kansas for some good deals and help him out. Sad Sad

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235