16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wad for Fiocchi 16 ga 2 1/2 in
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:55 am  Reply with quote

Can these hulls be loaded with the 072sg 16 wad or do u need the 072sg16s version. 7/8 or 1 oz both would be ok. Any recipes to share?

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

For 2 1/2" Fio hulls the SG16S (short) wad is almost mandatory.
I use 1 oz #7 1/2, 20.5 gr 800X, SG16S (short) wad, Ched Primer in 2 1/2” Ched hull, 1236 FPS 9520 PSI, but it is a very stout load and backing off 0.5 gr might make it more comfortable in lightweight guns.

HOWEVER, I am finding dislodged base wads in my Fio hulls after a couple firings, at a rate of about FIFTY PERCENT. It takes careful inspection to detect them, and a hard push on the primer tool to reseat the base wad if I don't immediately discard them.

According the the late shotgun reloading expert and author Robert Matunas, loose base wads are THE cardinal sin of shotgun reloading and can be an extremely dangerous hazard if they lodge in the barrel. WATCH OUT FOR THEM.

I have ZERO trouble with loose base wads in Cheddite, Rem, Win, or Rio hulls, only Fio.

So I can no longer recommend reloading Fio hulls, which is unfortunate because they crimp very nicely and I have buckets of them.

Take Care,

B.
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:14 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Brewster. I thought it might work for 7/8 oz since hodgdon lists that wad for 2 1/2 in cheddites. They don't specify the short version of the wad either. Are the fiocchis a lot different than the 2 1/2 in cheddites that RST uses? I probably have the same amount of those,once fired

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

The Fio dimensions are very close the Cheddites but not identical. Wad fit, capacity, and stack height are the same for all practical purposes. You May have to fiddle a bit with the hull trimmer setting, but I use them interchangeably after trimming to 2 1/2”.
Once fired RSTs might be my most preferred 2 1/2” hulls.
B.