16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Winchester Model 370-Summer Project
DiamondHunts
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:10 am  Reply with quote

My most recent 16ga addition....Winchester Model 370 30” 16ga

This is my summer project gun, I will attempt to fully restore both wood and metal surfaces. Once completed I’ll add a kickeeze pad and hunt opening weekend of dove season with it.

All in all it’s in good shape. The bore is spotless, no pitting at all. The barrel is marked full choke and measures the same. All the outer metal surfaces show some patina and light scale, but nothing deep. I intend to cold blue all metal surfaces after a complete strip and polish. The receiver internally needs a lot of cleaning, but functions well. The wood has been refinished and leaves a lot to be desired. Immediately I see no cracks or chips in the wood. After a quick strip I’ll determine if I will use this stock or look for something different.

For an initial investment of $75 I will have fun restoring and hunting this gun.

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:36 am  Reply with quote

What fun, What fun
Looking forward to updates

May the work flow easily Smile

Mike

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

Add the recoil pad now so that you can sand it to a perfect seamless fit with the wood before refinishing it. Wink

16'er
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Not sure where I saw it, but came across a guy who was advocating barrel browning followed by a cold blue treatment. Claimed more durable/resistant and darker blue result. Something to consider any way. I haven’t played around with the technique yet myself.

Have fun with your project!
DiamondHunts
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Skeettx I do intend to try and document each step of the way on this page.

WyoChukar. Good idea I’ll get a pad and spacer coming sooner than later.

16’er I too saw that video. My plan is to use BirchwoodCasey Plum Brown then their Super Blue. There are so many different options, brands and options when it comes to cold blueing. I’ve done a little research and gonna try these products, if I don’t like it I’ll start over.

6/27 Update
Miscellaneous parts have been ordered from Numrich and supplies from Brownells. Gun has completely been disassembled for through cleaning. Once cleaned I’ll reassemble and test fire. At that point I’ll install new Kick-EEZ pad to proper length.
DiamondHunts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

7/4 Update
Well I’ve completely disassembled the gun, throughly cleaned, lubed and reassembled. Upon test firing the breach opened immediately without assistance from me in anyway. I’ve ordered a new locking lug spring and will replace upon delivery.

If anyone here has had a similar experience please let me know what was the issue and how it was resolved.

In the mean time I’ve plugged the screw holes in the buttstock and ordered a Kick-EEZ pad and spacers.

DiamondHunts
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

8/1 Update

Bluing has been completed. I used multiple different products with varying success. Birchwood-Casey Super Blue, Brownells Oxpho-Blue liquid & Oxpho-Blue creame were the winners. Each worked better than others on certain pieces. Each piece was treated with Birchwood-Casey Blue & Rust Remover which works great. After the BC Blue & Rust Remover all metal surfaces were polished to a minimum of 320 grit with some as far as 2000 grit then cleaned with hot water and Dawn dish soap to degrease. I followed the directions on each bluing chemical as directed. After the barrel and receiver were blued and cured I applied a few coats of paste wax. The trigger guard and top latch are cast aluminum. I filed the casting lines off of each and polished to 800 grit. I originally planned on using Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black, but was not happy with the outcome. These parts were washed and degreased, dried with compressed air then placed in the sun. After about an hour in the sun I wiped with alcohol then spayed heavy duty enamel over them. The enamel cures to a hard durable finish. All springs have been replaced, everything has been lubed and reassembled. I will have to wait to function test once the wood re-finish is complete.

As far as the wood goes I’m still applying a thin coat of modified Boiled Linseed Oil every other day. I am hoping to wrap up the stock re-finish next week and let it cure for a week or two before final assembly.

Overall it’s been a fun project. I’ve learned that cold bluing is not even close to a replacement for hot bluing or rust bluing, but can definitely work in a pinch or as a touch up.

16'er
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:44 am  Reply with quote

Looks good! Thanks for the update...
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:55 am  Reply with quote

I have never been able to get cold bluing to work very well. You did a nice job with that Winchester.

Please show the wood when you get a chance.

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:09 am  Reply with quote

Awesome project. My dad had two shotguns, a Stevens pump 12, and a Winchester 37 in 16 gauge. He was fortunate enough to hunt the fabulous 40's and 50's here in WI and he said on the noon opener if you didn't have your pheasants by 1:00 you were a poor shooter. He always said the 37 was a "wing-shooter's gun."
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

That's a VERY nice job! I love a single shot.
It should be a great, light gun to carry. Are you leaving it full, I suppose? Very Happy
I've an old FIE import, my mother bought me in about 6th or seventh grade. I'd fill a pickup truck bed, if I put in all the ducks, tree rats and bunnies it brought to our table. I've been looking for many years, for a fore arm, hinge assembly. Every one I've seen (rare) the plastic is broken in the same spot. Seems old plastics tend to brittle up.
You keep us updated please, it's like doing it with ya!
DiamondHunts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

PRONGHORNSOUTH wrote:
That's a VERY nice job! I love a single shot.
It should be a great, light gun to carry. Are you leaving it full, I suppose? Very Happy
I've an old FIE import, my mother bought me in about 6th or seventh grade. I'd fill a pickup truck bed, if I put in all the ducks, tree rats and bunnies it brought to our table. I've been looking for many years, for a fore arm, hinge assembly. Every one I've seen (rare) the plastic is broken in the same spot. Seems old plastics tend to brittle up.
You keep us updated please, it's like doing it with ya!

Thanks for the compliment, yes I do plan on leaving it choked full. My plan is to dove hunt opening weekend with it for the challenge. The areas we hunt (South Texas) are usually good.
DiamondHunts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
I have never been able to get cold bluing to work very well. You did a nice job with that Winchester.

Please show the wood when you get a chance.

Thanks for the compliment, I assure you I’m no pro at cold blueing, almost every part was blued and stripped multiple times because I wasn’t happy with the outcome. My recommendation is be absolutely sure everything is clean, I mean really clean and try multiple products.

Today I was able to complete the assembly of the fore end. The fore end iron and all parts were blued and the aluminum hinge joint was painted with enamel. The actual hinge joint surface was purposely not painted and polished to 2000 grit. The hinge joint was originally hard plastic and was cracking, so it was replaced with an aluminum version from Nuline Gun Parts. I decided against a high gloss finish and opted for a soft matte finish that is easily maintained and repaired. I’ll get pictures of the butt stock in a few days.

ford4wd08
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:05 am  Reply with quote

This looks good! Awesome Work!

I have my granddad's H&R Topper 12 ga I would like to make into a turkey getter.

It has spent much of it life behind a truck seat and has the rust to prove it!

This give me inspiration to get back to it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

ford4wd08 wrote:
This looks good! Awesome Work!

I have my granddad's H&R Topper 12 ga I would like to make into a turkey getter.

It has spent much of it life behind a truck seat and has the rust to prove it!

This give me inspiration to get back to it.

It is fun, I’m enjoying it. I was looking for a gun that would present a different challenge for hunting season, but also a project. I’ve learned a lot along the way and already have my eye out for the next project.

If I can answer any questions I’d be more than happy to assist.