16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Thoughts On Who To Leave Guns
wahoo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:12 am  Reply with quote

So it’s not looking like I’ll have any kids or grandkids who would appreciate inheriting any of my firearms. There’s some time left where that could change, but I’m not expecting it to. Therefore I Should probably think about alternative plans. Don’t really know any younger folks who I would be close enough to consider leaving them too. It’s a bit of a quandary. Some are worth a little more than others and some have sentimental value. Hate to think they might all simply go to the highest bidder some day.

Well actually now that I think about it, I have a cousin who’s son is an enthusiast and a darn fine fella as well....

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Chukar60
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Tough situation. I have two daughters. One is an avid target shooter and the other is a hunter.
Neither have much if any appreciation for Guns that interest me.
I don’t own any target type guns and the daughter who hunts has little interest in bird hunting.
All of my meager collection centers around older S&W revolvers and double barreled shotguns.
I intend to let all of my collection go to them. They can keep anything that is of interest and liquidate the rest and use the funds to acquire guns that interest them.
While I respect and honor the tradition of passing our guns to family as heirlooms, I do not understand the need for them to hang on to them into eternity.
We all have different tastes and interests in guns. Mine are not like everyone else’s including my children. I see no value in saddling anyone with guns that are of little interest to them.
Just my two cents and probably worth less than the asking price.
canvasback
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:10 am  Reply with quote

I'm intending to leave a few to my son, provided his interest continues as it has but most I intend to give away while I'm alive to young people who will appreciate them .

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Wahoo,

I fully understand your predicament, mine is similar. Having a Deaf Epileptic daughter who has no interest in hunting, or fine double guns, and with the loss of my boys at child birth, I have no one in my immediate family to inherit my guns. I do have a nephew, my brothers son, however he really has not shown the interest in Grouse hunting or our fine guns, the rest of our family has shown down thru history. The good guns I have given him so far have hardly ever been used. My other nephew on my wife's side of the family is an avid hunter, a good man and I am decently close to him.

I have to make some kind of decision as to what is going to happen with my good L.C. Smith and Best German guns, in the very near future. Now around 70 years old and have had an Agent Orange heart attack, anything could happen. These guns have been handed down thru many generations in our family, and some of them are worth serious money. I do not want to see them sold, if neither of my nephew's would like to inherit our families small gun collection I have a serious problem.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:26 am  Reply with quote

I have been selling off some guns and buying more suitable guns to the
local Boy Scout camp 4-H Shooting program, and Boy's Ranch, and Girl's Ranch.

Mike

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 am  Reply with quote

Wahoo, how old are you? You say you're running out of time but kids are still a possibility. If that's the case, it seems to me your concern over who to leave your firearms to is a bit premature.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
df
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 am  Reply with quote

I have a pretty large collection.
Will leave a few to son. Maybe a couple to daughter. And one a piece to several nephews.
The rest will get sold.
wahoo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
Wahoo, how old are you? You say you're running out of time but kids are still a possibility. If that's the case, it seems to me your concern over who to leave your firearms to is a bit premature.

I’m old enough nearly to start collecting that social security check. One daughter is married and not likely to have kids. Neither her or hubby are interested in shooting sports. Second daughter is not yet married and kids are still in the running possibly with her, so it’s not sll doom and gloom. I just feel a little remorseful that no one is on the immediate horizon who can appreciate what I have put together and understand some the special nature of some of this stuff. Plus, I haven’t stopped adding to it all! I do think though that the majority wil be sold and proceeds dolled out to family.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Wahoo,

A sad situation for sure.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

I always figured I would give them to people who really appreciate them when that time gets close. It will just be a case of handing the gun to that person and smiling. One in particular goes to my nephew. And if I fall off a cliff while chasing chukars, oh well, it's not like those guns are going to be much concern anymore.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

I would hope I have more to leave than simple walnut and steel so, I think most on leaving a part of myself behind in the form of memories centered around dogs, birds, people, days and places.
Each of which would define who I was much more clearly than any gun I preferred during a moment in Time.
My daughter may one day make more of those bequeaths than that which has a trigger and a market.
I certainly hope so.

I reckon that I don't really care what happens to my firearms....much the same perhaps, as the previous owners of a few of the scatterguns I now own.
Trusting they will be used is enough, for me.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

wahoo wrote:
Upland Carpenter wrote:

I’m old enough nearly to start collecting that social security check. One daughter is married and not likely to have kids. Neither her or hubby are interested in shooting sports. Second daughter is not yet married and kids are still in the running possibly with her, so it’s not sll doom and gloom. I just feel a little remorseful that no one is on the immediate horizon who can appreciate what I have put together and understand some the special nature of some of this stuff. Plus, I haven’t stopped adding to it all! I do think though that the majority wil be sold and proceeds dolled out to family.

That adds a bit more context.

You could always leave direction to sell all or some of your guns and donate the proceeds to a conservation organization of your choice.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Zrexxer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

I've been agonizing over the same thing for awhile now, and I'm about to finally get my will finalized next week.

I don't have any children directly. However, I've been with a woman for 13 years whose children have just had given her 4 grandkids in the last two years. There's a granddaughter and three grandsons. Their biological grandfather was deceased before they were born and they are growing up knowing me as their grandfather, so I'm hoping there should be an interest in my guns when I pass. I've named the four as my heirs, with the instruction that upon my death they are each to have the choice of whatever personal possessions may interest them, then the rest is to be liquidated and the proceeds to be distributed evenly among them.

Since all of them are under two years old now, I figure the rest is on me, should I live long enough (and I hope I do, since I'm only 59 now). I've got all of their formative years to teach them about wildlife, about firearms, about hunting, and about personal freedom. If I've done my job well by then, the problem should be solved.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Many fine suggestions given above, and may I add one more note: I believe a young person's first firearm should be their own, presented with all due dignity, and not a legacy gift or hand me down, i.e., not someone else's gun, if my meaning is clear. The latter can come later. Our family has done this over the generations, and I believe it has borne abundant good fruit.

Cheers,
B.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

Brewester11,

I was just thinking the same thing, although we had a lot of good guns in our family already, my Grandfather and my Father made sure I was given my own gun on a Christmas morning I will never forget.

My Grandfather knew I was into Turkey hunting big time as a youngster and I also shot Fox for the bounty. My Grandfather and my Father gave me a Savage DL, O/U 22 Mag over and 20 gauge Mag under, and I have used that gun for Turkey and Fox hunting ever sense, I still have the gun and it gets used even today.

You are absolutely right a young man should have his own new gun, there is something special about the gift when it comes from the people you most admire.
Although the gun is not one of my Classic American or German Best guns, it means a great deal to me that my Grandfather and Father thought so highly of me, and presented me with the gift. I will treasure it always, and the memories that come with it, every time I pick it up.

If a boys parents can afford it, a boy should be given his own gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man