16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Winchester 24 SxS?
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:07 am  Reply with quote

Curious to understand these guns a little better. They seem as though they are; no nonsense, practical, affordable, field pieces. Of the folks here that own or have owned or shot them; what are your opinions of them? Idiosyncrasies? Durability? Design/MFG issues?

Any info appreciated, thanks in advance....

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

Model 24's were a price point gun. Design-wise they are cousins of the Winchester Model 37. They are in no way connected, design-wise, to the Model 21. They are a decent gun, but very different shape-wise, and aesthetically. For me it's sort of a toss-up between Model 24 Winchesters and Stevens 311's and the like. Both have their uglinesses and both have their charms. I think Model 24's are way overpriced now -- it's the "Winchester name effect", I guess. I would not shy away from one on a quality and utility basis. The Model 24 will do the job.
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

The main issue seems to be the extractors are undersized. I suspect if you keep the chambers spiffy, it's not an issue.

Personally, I'd rather have a Fulton, Nitro Special, or Savage Fox Model B (early) than a Win24. Heck for the prices 24's seem to list at you can just about get a decent NID..
Hootch
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

My first 16ga, Shoot it Ok, have had trouble with extractors, doesn't fit me as well as my other doubles, but they are ok field guns, utilitarian I guess I would label them.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:40 am  Reply with quote

Many thanks, truly appreciate the input. Although an O/U guy, one caught my eye (as anything w/DT's tends to) and seems like it wants to spend some time in a Duck blind or layout boat. Seemed like a durable utilitarian shotgun, these responses confirm, which is my wheel house.

Understand the "Win price skew factor" but I appreciate clean no-BS design/lines and this platform is pretty darn sleek.

Concern would be week extractors in late season when things are freezing (like a gun waiting for an hour or more in wet freezing temps) but some silicone or teflon or graphite sprayed in the chambers might help alleviate that.

thanks again!

Beagleman
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

A fence post that shoots

scraggley
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:10 am  Reply with quote

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Mine (a 16ga, with 28" barrels) serves as my go to waterfowl gun. The extractors are spring driven and a well worn gun will have deep grooves worn into the standing breech. The shallow grooves in my gun do not effect functioning of the extractors. I do keep a little heavy lube on the groove. My gun with original full/ modified chokes and bores patterns well with my nontoxic (ITX) hand loads.

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

A friend has one in 12ga with Cylinder and Modified chokes. Pretty darn useful shotgun.

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:59 am  Reply with quote

Good stuff, "fenchpost..." understood, I've referred to certain guns in this same way before. Although I do value function a bit over form. "beauty in the..." too true.

On the positive side, spring activated extractors might alleviate or attenuate any headspace issues. Wonder if the breech face gouges show up in the spent hull head metal?

scraggley
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

There is no problem identifying the once fires hulls from my model 24. The grooves in the standing breech are firmly imprinted in the base. Especially the bases of my waterfowl loads. I only use new hulls for these loads.
Art

Beagleman
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

My model 24 is 26", ic/mod. I plan to give it to a friend who likes it way more than i do. It is similar to my Stevens 5100 and my Fox model BSE. None of these will be confused with an Ansley Fox or a L. C. Smith. Just like a metal fence post- DURABLE ! Buy it and let us know what you think of it.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Beagleman wrote:
A fence post that shoots

+1 My only experience with one was underwhelming.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
old colonel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Yes a price point gun, but as others have pointed out a solid gun capable of good service.

Not my cup of tea as I like leaner, lighter, more sculpted actions, but acceptable compared to some worse options.

I have often thought of a heavy 16ga Model 21 as a waterfowl gun candidate, but as pointed out the Model 24 is a gun to consider too, especially considering how beat up a waterfowl gun can get.