16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  SXS Configuration
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

The net? Wasn't that a Little River Band song?

Today's internet wisdom: "I see", said the blind man to the deaf man, who heard it from his mute friend. None of the three were available for comment, but one was blonde, one was brunette, and one was a redhead...each of them looking for a woman that was blonde, brunette, or red headed.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

I like to handle a slim brunette straight grip with red and blonde highlights and two lovely hammers. Cool

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

Had to think about those blonde and red highlights for a moment. Pictures? Cool
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Had to think about those blonde and red highlights for a moment. Pictures? Cool

Yes. Cool

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Chukar60
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

PCD,
“Now to address this garbage of an untrained bird dog in your post. It is all foolishness, if you actually mean it, you know nothing about well trained gun dogs or DT guns.”
This is not disagreement. Couch it however you want to, but what you wrote was an open, obvious and blatant insult to another member’s intelligence and credibility. There was not one element of respect within that statement.
I don’t know how it is done in intellectual circles or back east, but for the rest of the civilized world, you respectfully state that you disagree with the OP’s premise, then you offer some factual evidence to support your opinion. That is the normal process of civil discourse.
The snark and arrogance of your replies to others who called you on your manners is telling.
I realize that carrying this disagreement further is not good form. However, seeing this behavior repeated regularly, it has become very clear to me why active participation on this forum is so tepid.
Why the moderators allow it is a mystery. You will all continue to deal with this until more people or the right people stand up to it.
To the rest of the members here, I bid a fond farewell. I have no interest in a forum that tolerates this kind of boorish behavior.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Chukar60 wrote:
PCD,
“Now to address this garbage of an untrained bird dog in your post. It is all foolishness, if you actually mean it, you know nothing about well trained gun dogs or DT guns.”
This is not disagreement. Couch it however you want to, but what you wrote was an open, obvious and blatant insult to another member’s intelligence and credibility. There was not one element of respect within that statement.
I don’t know how it is done in intellectual circles or back east, but for the rest of the civilized world, you respectfully state that you disagree with the OP’s premise, then you offer some factual evidence to support your opinion. That is the normal process of civil discourse.
The snark and arrogance of your replies to others who called you on your manners is telling.
I realize that carrying this disagreement further is not good form. However, seeing this behavior repeated regularly, it has become very clear to me why active participation on this forum is so tepid.
Why the moderators allow it is a mystery. You will all continue to deal with this until more people or the right people stand up to it.
To the rest of the members here, I bid a fond farewell. I have no interest in a forum that tolerates this kind of boorish behavior.

I wish you wouldn't take that post as the reason to leave this forum. It was directed at me, and although PCD could have worded it much more kindly, I chose not to escalate the tenor of the exchange and simply provided evidence that his assessment was unwarranted. I'm a big boy with 33 years of military service where I was often in situations where the enemy was seriously trying to kill me. That never deterred me from doing what I was charged with doing in a professional manner. I think dodging real bullets for a living is great experience for putting the rest of your life in perspective, and PCD was not firing real bullets. Bottom line is I admire your integrity and would really like to know men of your character are on this forum.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

It really is amazing that a simple disagreement with a post is actually causing this kind of hard feelings among men. My wording to riflemeister was not really harsh, it was simply a way to disagree. If I wanted it to be harsh, it would have been worded quite differently. I was simply trying to make a point. We are men here on this form not snow flakes. Both riflemsister and I have dodged bullets for a living, my words may seem harsh to some, they are not meant be. I am neither arrogant or unethical.

Disagreeing with someone is not unethical or a character flaw. Men do these things as an every day part of life.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
gunsrus
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:21 am  Reply with quote

Agree with Chukar60 , it was a blatant insult . However if Riflemeister has accepted and moved on , i believe we all should . I'm sure PCD will choose his wording more careful down the road .
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:06 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:

Double triggers are fine, but overblown as a "must-have." IMO they have more value in the wide open spaces where you just might have that long poke. I hunt a lot of spooky wild pheasants in marginal areas and I do best with either my SS triggered O/U choked SK/Mod, or my auto running a straight mod, so go figure.

Agree with this totally Dave. In the grouse woods I've never felt the need for more .008 choke and usually run .004\.008 when I have a choice and truth be told doesn't matter a whole lot which barrel goes off first. Even after the leaves drop. Couple of years ago I breasted a grouse in the air while hunting with fourtrax using .004 but I do like some choke. Come November hunting SD after the crops have been cut it is a different story with phez and sharpies.

Dave Erickson wrote:

I'm not a historian, but I think a lot of this proper gun stuff came over the pond in the early 1900's and took root with the grouse hunters looking for light and trim bird guns. The gun writers starting with Foster set the parameters, and it's been a prevailing opinion of many and often comes off as snobbiness, and sometimes that's just what it is.

Agree with this too, yesterday morning the same thought hit me. I think, and could be wrong, that it started to come about in the early to mid 80's when there was a surge of interest in double guns in the US.

Not to knock Orvis and I own an Orvis Man's Best Friend Hat, but the Orvis crowd does have an English bent to them. Barbour instead of Filson for example.

Read an article not long ago about the American Classic shotguns. The author did mention straight grip and DT however the caption picture didn't show a single straight grip American classic in the bunch LOL.

Not sure if those in America really cared so much how they did things in the British Isles back then.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:11 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

You are absolutely correct, the American Classic Double Gun builders, especially L.C. Smith and Fox along with LeFever never payed much attention to the British or German made guns, they engineered for the American market. These gun builders would make most any stock configuration the American public ordered.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:20 am  Reply with quote

I shot a lot of Dt's when I was young Then i bought O/U's with single triggers semi's with singles. I gravitate back to straight grip Dt's easier for me to carry single handed in front of me when parting brush. I also naturally lay my index finger pointing down the barrel with my thumb gripping the top of the left barrel. I could not do that with a beaver tail.I do use the back trigger first on many shots in the field and on the sporting clays course I don't even think about my finger movements it is all muscle memory. I think the raised rib is for cooling purposes for target shooters. I also think that guys that look at the barrel and aim a shotgun prefer the raised rib. I shoot with 2 guy's that shoot skeet and sporting clays with an eye closed and aiming the bead at the bird. Not sure how they do it but they regularly hand me my ass. As stated before there's an ass for every saddle shoot what you like. My dogs are well trained and very accomplished bird finders. They screw up just like I do on occasion. Tell me your grouse dogs never bump or flush a grouse and I'll tell you your memory is deceiving you. Birds, dogs, wind all change nothing goes perfect all the time. Don't be offended someone else's opinion should not matter to you. Especially someone on the internet why would you care? People win and people lose get back up dust yourself off and move on. Everyone in the world doesn't have to agree with you and doesn't have to do what you do. I tell folks hey if you don't want to own guns and hunt then don't but give me the same consideration.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:44 am  Reply with quote

PP,

Good post!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

English grips and splinter forearms are designed to work together by placing the hands in alignment. Couple that with a hard focus on the target; your brain uses your eyes to tell those hands what to do. These days I’m picturing the size of my pattern as a large or small circle, depending upon the choke, in front of the target and pulling the trigger when the target approaches the break point on the rear of the circle. Master this and live targets get easier and more instinctive.

I’m a two trigger kind of guy due to the flexibility they afford me. Two barrels can mean two choke sizes and two shot sizes and moving between triggers in any rotation works for me but a SST does not unless I’m shooting clays with known paths and distances. On pheasant I like 9’s in an open choke and fives in a tighter choke; I choose the shot size/pattern/trigger based upon range at focus. 9’s are great for head shots and fives for body shots.

I have pulled many a tear trigger on birds approaching me which leaves me a more open choke for a closer shot if I miss with the tight barrel. I don’t waste an open barrel on a bird over 25 yards as I’d rather take one good relaxed shot with a tighter barrel at 35. As a kid hunting deer that were scarce those days, I hunted with buckshot in the right/open barrel and a slug in the left tighter barrel. I like options and two triggers gives me plenty.

Reno

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

English grips and splinter forearms are designed to work together by placing the hands in alignment. Couple that with a hard focus on the target; your brain uses your eyes to tell those hands what to do. These days I’m picturing the size of my pattern as a large or small circle, depending upon the choke, in front of the target and pulling the trigger when the target approaches the break point on the rear of the circle. Master this and live targets get easier and more instinctive.

I’m a two trigger kind of guy due to the flexibility they afford me. Two barrels can mean two choke sizes and two shot sizes and moving between triggers in any rotation works for me but a SST does not unless I’m shooting clays with known paths and distances. On pheasant I like 9’s in an open choke and fives in a tighter choke; I choose the shot size/pattern/trigger based upon range at focus. 9’s are great for head shots and fives for body shots.

I have pulled many a tear trigger on birds approaching me which leaves me a more open choke for a closer shot if I miss with the tight barrel. I don’t waste an open barrel on a bird over 25 yards as I’d rather take one good relaxed shot with a tighter barrel at 35. As a kid hunting deer that were scarce those days, I hunted with buckshot in the right/open barrel and a slug in the left tighter barrel. I like options and two triggers gives me plenty.

Reno

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Reno