16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Question on new A5 Sweet Sixteen
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:01 am  Reply with quote

All,

Has anyone been able to successfully fire & cycle 2 1/2” shells through the new A5 Sweet Sixteen? Not that we’re actively looking to add another 16 to the stable, but we might be slowly inching closer to it.

TIA
B.
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Don't think the 2 1/2 inch would be an issue,more about payload and speed. Some have reported problems with the 1 oz light loads such as Herters but they work fine in mine.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Some have reported problems with the 1 oz light loads such as Herters

Seems like a 16ga that won't cycle a 1 oz load might be problematic. Is there a way to control the cycling setting like other autoloaders, i.e., gas valves, springs, friction rings, etc.?
Black Belt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

The cycling problems with the Herters have nothing to do with being 1oz but with the inconsistency of the Herters shells. My Belgian Sweet did not like them either, if I recall correctly. The New Sweet Sixteen will cycle 1oz without a problem.
Beagleman
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

You recall absolutely correct. Herters and a certain 1952 swt 16 were a poor match.
My 1961and 1965 sweets have issues also. I do have an 11/48 with a polychoke that will cycle Herters and anthing thing else you care to feed eat. Bass Pro has arranged for us to not have to worry about Herters anymore.

PablosDryFliesAndBirdshot
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

Mine cycled a box of RST 2.5 hulls. My A5 was clean and lubed.
wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:22 am  Reply with quote

Op asked about friction ring setup on the new SW16. I can’t answer about the new model, but yes the traditional models were adjusted for light or heavy loads via friction ring placements. Also mag tube degree of lubrication, and eventually recoil spring and friction rings replacement as wear reduces performance. Ha, I almost sounded like I knew what I was talking about! Still new with the A5 my self overall.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:49 am  Reply with quote

8 July 19

The new A5 16ga guns are Inertial Driven like the Benells. There is nothing one can adjust. I suspect the factory could adjust the return spring and the inertia spring in the bolt but the only thing the end used can do is change ammunition.

If you reload that isn't a problem. If you are limited to factory ammunition, I've never had issues with the Remington 1oz or the Winchester 1 oz. Herters have not been completely reliable.

It probably doesn't make sense to reload 12 and 20ga any more. Promotional shells cost the same as reloading them. However if you shoot a 16ga, 28ga or .410, you can save a lot of money by reloading. In addition, you can adjust the load to the requirements of your specific gun.

Bill
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:35 am  Reply with quote

What Bill above said.

Mine will eject Federals with reliability but not Herter's. It will vary based on the gun, the spring will not always have the same compression load. The spring is in the buttstock and is called the recoil spring or by some manufactures the action spring. There is a company that has been out there for more than a decade named Sure Cycle that makes replacement springs and tubes for most of the guns that use Action Springs. They are made out of stainless steel and allow pretty much any load to cycle. They have them for the new A5

but they do not make them for the Sweet 16.

I have known some people to cut a quarter turn off the spring at a time on inertial guns until it will cycle lighter loads but I would not do it. They are set stiff to help prevent the bolt from slamming the receiver too hard and causing damage. On a light weight alloy receiver gun that protection is even more important.

I only reload for the 16 ga. anymore, and 7/8 oz. at that for my light weight fixed breech guns. Not going to change every thing out for 1 oz. reloads and then have to change it back again for 7/8 oz. So my Sweet 16 gets a diet of Federal shells and all is good. Have a couple thousand purple empties and building every year.