16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Here We Go Again
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:29 am  Reply with quote

My Rebel dog turned 5 years old last month and my 10 year old Bode is experiencing right rear leg issues, so I contacted John Prince https://princesqualitygundogs.com/ to see about a new pup. He said I was #2 on the list for a male GSP in a litter from a repeat breeding that has proven very successful. The previous litter, every pup was pointing and retrieving at 4 months and completely finished at 6 months. I went over there this morning and selected two pups, just incase the #1 pick guy from Kansas City chooses one of my picks. One of these two little full bellied sleepy heads will be my new pup, Rowdy. Pick him up right at my birthday in August.

Let the good times roll.

Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:50 am  Reply with quote

Ah,puppy breath. Nothing better. Cuties for sure. Congrats,whichever you end up with

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

reiflemeister,

Good luck with your new pup and I hope your Bode is going to be ok. Puppies are fantastic!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Shadow our new Gordon Setter pup, with our Ryman Setter 8 year old Male.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
gunsrus
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Had a few shorthairs early on , got me back into the Uplands . Moved to Setters but looks like another shorthair is in the future . love em ! Good luck .
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Puppies are the best and I hope he brings you many years of enjoyment in the Uplands.

If the issue with Bode is his joints ask your Vet about Adequon. It is an injection I give my older dog once a month. I have used it on three older dogs with success and it doesn’t have any side effects.

Good Hunting,
Mike
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Congratulations! They look and sound like nice pups. I've been hunting continentals for the last 25 years, and they fit my upland/waterfowls needs quite well.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
Puppies are the best and I hope he brings you many years of enjoyment in the Uplands.

If the issue with Bode is his joints ask your Vet about Adequon. It is an injection I give my older dog once a month. I have used it on three older dogs with success and it doesn’t have any side effects.

Good Hunting,
Mike

Mike,
Sounds like you've been talking to my vet. When he started limping after the February Alabama hunt, she did a very thorough evaluation including X-Rays and detected considerable arthritis damage to the hip joint. She could not detect any cruciate ligament damage such as he had that led to a TPLO on the left leg. He's been getting Adequon injection for several months with little improvement, but no further deterioration. Last week we got his injection and had a long "what if" discussion and she got me an appointment for him with the University Of Missouri Vet School Clinic. They have the latest diagnostic tools and hopefully we can determine if there is more damage than an X-Ray can see and if so what can be done. He has been such a great dog for so many years, I'd like to see him live out his life without pain and limping. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I also uploaded a picture of the new pup's sire from John Prince's kennel. He has a great track record of producing fantastic litters that hunt at an early age. You always hope for an exceptional dog when you get a puppy, but I really think this one could be a great dog.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:45 am  Reply with quote

Congrats! My setter turns 10 in a few days, so I'll be looking at a new setter pup soon also.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
wahoo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:19 am  Reply with quote

Exciting waiting on bringing a new pup home. Best of luck! Here’s our “Rowdy”
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57314_600x400/] [/URL]

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:55 am  Reply with quote

wahoo wrote:
Exciting waiting on bringing a new pup home. Best of luck! Here’s our “Rowdy”
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57314_600x400/] [/URL]

That's an interesting looking pup. I bet he must really cover some ground in a hurry. Cool

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
wahoo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:15 am  Reply with quote

Careful what you name a new member of the family...sometime they live up to it. This guy surely does and he was 23 years old when I took that pic. Wonder if any of you guys that are fortunate to run these dogs ever named one “Birdy”?

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

If you already have a great bird dog, do not wait to long to purchase a new pup. A pup can learn a lot in the field from a great bird dog, they emulate and learn quickly in this manner. I made this mistake myself and my Gordon Setter pup now starts from scratch as she learns the Grouse woods and how to handle the birds. I have not had this happen for many many generations of fine Grouse dogs.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Penny is no longer alive to help train the new Gordon pup, she was so healthy and acted so young, for so long that I misread the situation. The end came very quickly.

Penny sleeping on the game room floor the day before her passing. She showed no signs of illness what so ever. Age finally caught up with her and she was gone.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:07 am  Reply with quote

Thankfully, I've got the 5 year old Rebel who is just rounding into being a great dog. His pedigree has a lot of Voms and Fritz's and the like showing a strong German heritage with the results being a dog that took a bit longer to really become a strong performer. These last two years he has come on strong and my patience has been rewarded with a dog that's doing it all and is very pleasant to hunt behind. I look for another strong performance from him this year as he will likely have to carry most of the load. He is an exceptionally strong, durable dog who comes as close to that all day, every day dog as any I've seen. Hopefully the pup can learn a lot from him.

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:53 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Riflemeister"][quote="Chicago"]Puppies are the best and I hope he brings you many years of enjoyment in the Uplands.

Mike,
Sounds like you've been talking to my vet. When he started limping after the February Alabama hunt, she did a very thorough evaluation including X-Rays and detected considerable arthritis damage to the hip joint. She could not detect any cruciate ligament damage such as he had that led to a TPLO on the left leg. He's been getting Adequon injection for several months with little improvement, but no further deterioration. Last week we got his injection and had a long "what if" discussion and she got me an appointment for him with the University Of Missouri Vet School Clinic. They have the latest diagnostic tools and hopefully we can determine if there is more damage than an X-Ray can see and if so what can be done. He has been such a great dog for so many years, I'd like to see him live out his life without pain and limping. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Response:
I hope Bode gets some relief from the pain. My recollection is Adequon is not going to make a situation better but it may help delay further deterioration. I noticed some periodic stiffness with my then 8 year old setter and I started him on Adequon to see if I could get ahead of the curve. I think it has been successful with no incidents since I began the Adequon shots about 10 months ago. Something to keep in mind for Rebel. As long as you don’t mind the $35 p/mo it can’t do any harm and I am going to start all future pups on it about age 7 or 8. It seems if you wait until the symptoms develop you are too far behind the curve.

We have at least one Vet on this site and maybe they can give us some insight.

Wahoo,
Is that a Walker? It looks exactly like a Walker I looked at about 20 years ago in Richmond, IL. We had purchased my wife a Walker and the same folks had another fine looking one they were selling. I ended up deciding that while horses were a way of life for my wife I already had dogs, hunting, cycling and XC skiing and I probably was not going to do a horse justice.

Good Hunting,
Mike
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

Puppies are the only good thing that ever comes from the inevitable of another dog getting old. Starting anew with a young enthusiastic bundle of potential is a journey into hope and the unknown. The rewards are many and joys great, even if a few trials lay along the path. May your journey be blessed and your autumns together be many.