16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Here We Go Again
old colonel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

My father once told me Dogs and Wives were the only relatives we get to chose. God and fate issues us the rest. So chose wisely. Especially since only the dogs will always love you.

Give them a good reason to love you. Hunting is in the soul of a good dog, let it hunt as much as you can.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:13 am  Reply with quote

I need to tell y'all I won't be getting a pup after all. Yesterday I got an excited phone call from my friend Dennis who works for John Prince telling me to get over there, my dog was there and available for a short time. A man from Texas had a litter of 3 1/2 month old pups sired by John's super stud male and the male pup he'd sent up for training was available. While the male dog was being trained, the man's wife and kids fell in love with one of the females from the litter and he said John should sell the male. Dennis said this dog was a miniature of his sire in every way, and pointing birds and retrieving to hand at 3 1/2 months old. I went over there and watched a performance that was hard to believe, but when it was over, I couldn't get my checkbook out fast enough. Meet the "real" Ozark Prince Rowdy. He will get his finishing training in September and be with my for the whole bird season.

In the kennel looking a lot calmer than he is.

Pointing birds in the fencerow behind my property.

Rowdy and his normal mode of travel. Flat out.

gunsrus
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like a winner to me . Good luck .
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

gunsrus wrote:
Looks like a winner to me . Good luck .

I'll need luck on this pup. He's collar trained, but doesn't have a good "here" yet. I put my third collar on him this morning. pushed the tone button and the green light lit up... good to go. Halfway through the workout, he came on a nesting killdeer that immediately went into her broken wing just out of grasp routine and the chase was on. I called and called, and hit him with the collar starting on 1 and going all the way to 6. He was not to be deterred on catching that killdeer. 20 minutes later I finally got a lead on him. Afterwards found that third (blue) collar was not paired with the controller and the green light just happened to do it's periodic flash just as I looked. That sort of mistake would probably have killed most 78 year olds. Can't be making those dumb mistakes with this pup.

Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Nice looking pup (I call them all pups young and old) and I hope the training comes along well.

You probably know this but I will say it anyway. Sometimes it helps with a pup trained by another to leave him on a 30’+ lead until you are certain he follows the commands for you and then let him drag the lead for a few more days to make sure he still follows them.

Enjoy your time with the pup and I hope he brings you all the joy pups can bring.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
Nice looking pup (I call them all pups young and old) and I hope the training comes along well.

You probably know this but I will say it anyway. Sometimes it helps with a pup trained by another to leave him on a 30’+ lead until you are certain he follows the commands for you and then let him drag the lead for a few more days to make sure he still follows them.

Enjoy your time with the pup and I hope he brings you all the joy pups can bring.

Good Hunting,
Mike

Thanks for the advice. I decided to run the collar and a retractable lead on him. John said he was responding to a 1 stimulation while slapping your leg and calling here. I don't think John had nesting killdeers fluttering under his nose while doing that. I've been working on here while having him on that long lead and rewarding him with a little treat and petting when he responds. He's staying on that lead till he's flawless on here. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
Chicago wrote:

Good Hunting,
Mike

Thanks for the advice. I decided to run the collar and a retractable lead on him. John said he was responding to a 1 stimulation while slapping your leg and calling here. I don't think John had nesting killdeers fluttering under his nose while doing that. I've been working on here while having him on that long lead and rewarding him with a little treat and petting when he responds. He's staying on that lead till he's flawless on here. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Sounds like you have it under control.

Good Hunting,
Mike
wahoo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, what good fortune! I'm happy for ya! Please keep us informed of Rowdy's progress and exploits along the way, with periodic sitreps and pics.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Oldhunter: Wise words.

Riflemeister: Congratulations!

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:41 am  Reply with quote

Stylish! Been thinking about a new pup. Abby will turn 9 in January and Willa is a solid 5. As for Abby being 9, I thought it'd take her longer for her to get to be that age. Same as for me. Gil
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 am  Reply with quote

Gil S,

Unfortunately time flies! I wish I could slow it down especially for our Dogs.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:38 am  Reply with quote

Just got back in from cleaning the kennels (how does a 4 month old pup poop so much), exercising the dogs and doing fetching drills with the 5 year old Rebel. 7 AM and I'm soaked in sweat, wore out and just getting my first cup of coffee. I was just coasting along on cruise control with the two older dogs, and can't believe how much more work a little pup can be. I had forgotten the hard work involved in that first year of getting a pup to being a reliable hunter and a good citizen dog. It sure makes me appreciate how well trained and reliable those two older dogs are. Everything considered, there are no regrets on the decision to get a pup, just venting and don't want to let the wife know that it's more work than I remembered. I hate those "I told you so" replies.

wahoo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:27 am  Reply with quote

Boy do I know what you mean about forgetting all the work of bringing up another pup, and really appreciating those older dogs. Going through the exact same thing now with a female Australian Shepherd that came to us at 7 months old, not properly brought up. She was left alone all day shut up in a cage inside an apartment, and the previous owner was perplexed at why the puppy was too rambunctious when let out in the evening. Well she’s living the dream now, has my six year old lab taking her under the wing, and helping me teach this puppy how to behave. Like not digging basketball size holes at the bottom of the back steps, or pooping wherever she gets the urge, and not jumping on everyone. Have her setting on command now, and staying, and learning to heel. Thank goodness for the labs help and patience with this pup! Well looks like there’s another tree limb drug into the car port being chewd to pieces around my wife’s car, better go clean that up, AGAIN.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:33 am  Reply with quote

I always seem to forget how much work pups are until the next one comes along.
Square Load
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister,

Do you know if John has any females left in this litter?

I called him and left a message but he never returned my call Sad

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12