16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Herter's is coming back
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

That's right. I just viewed photos of actual Herter's ammunition in 12 ga. Allegedly there will be 16 ga. again as well and the entire line of ammunition is supposed to be stocked by late August. So hopefully...

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Never used much of the Herters shells, glad to see any shells back on the market again. The more competition & availability the better.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Yeeee Hawww
Hopefully will come to pass

Mike

case 1775
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

I saw some herters ammo at cabelas, asked one of the sales guys about it. he said federal will be making herters from now on, and that herters shotshells will be back.

16'er
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:10 am  Reply with quote

Production by Federal would be good news indeed. Especially if the price is close to the previous Italian offering.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:24 am  Reply with quote

Love those purple shells, and just in time for bird season.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:33 am  Reply with quote

I'm betting Federal will have better QC, and if they are using their own hulls you will get better hull life unless the new Fed hulls have went downhill.
ShowMeSon
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:46 am  Reply with quote

Yes, I’ll be interested to see if the hulls are Cheddite or Federals.
df
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Good news, if it happens.
But I probably have enough of the Herters loads and thus empties to last many years.
bobski
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:49 am  Reply with quote

I was told and have seen first hnd that old federal and new federal hulls are not the same. I saw that newer fed's have bigger euro primer pockets compared to say '10 and older ones.
if herters just joins the newer federal tooling, I dont see much improvement for reloaders.

this is happening all over the nation. one product with 20 names on it.
lawnmowers
tools
guns
food
ammo
powders

its weird. on top of being saturated with imported multicultural markets, (globalization) we are being fed a very thin line of commercial choices (communism) disguised as many.

why don't you see Remington or Winchester making numerous brands of shells? why is it always federal? im stumped.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:53 am  Reply with quote

bobski,

I have wondered the same thing, why do they not just label them all Federal and be done with it. It maybe something to due with the other countries laws and where the shells are being made.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

I'd really like to buy the Peters brand again -- I'm "old school" for sure. Wink

Peter's had a great reputation as a premier developer and supplier of ammo, especially shotshells, even way before Winchester-Western, which didn't happen until the '30's under John Olin's push. Peters did a lot of work to measure and quantify shot cloud behavior, recognized the desirability of the short shot string, and worked to provide that as well as they could. Peters was purchased and combined with Remington in 1934 after DuPont had purchased and rescued Remington in the early '30's. Remington had already been in the same group as UMC (Union Metallic Cartridge Company), which was founded by Marcellus Hartley after the US Civil War as breech loading weapons became the norm. Hartley had partnered with Winchester Repeating Arms Co. to purchase the failed Remington in 1888 (they got it at auction!). Hartley was the prototypical arms supplier to the world, big supplier and procurer of weapons for the Union in the Civil War, and after the war, he and his partners had hardware stores for retail distribution (Hartley and Graham).

DuPont combined UMC with Remington and then purchased Peters Cartridge Co. and combined them with UMC and Remington. From that point, the UMC/Remington branded ammo gradually combined with the Peters product to be nothing more than a branding difference. Anyway, I like the blue or deep red colors of Peters shotshells, and the art on their shell-boxes is second to none. That's why they are so collectible. Peters were the premium shell and Remington, in the the early days of their era under the same corporation, was positioned as cheaper brand -- not at the end, though.

Olin Chemical Corp. started out as a gunpowder manufacturer, named Equitable Powder Company, and they started Western Cartridge Co. (WCC). WCC was totally vertically oriented, making every component of ammunition, shotshell and brass rifle cartridges. Olin purchased the failing Winchester Repeating Arms Co. in 1931, combining WCC (Super-X and Xpert, etc) and Winchester's ammo manufacturing (e.g. Super-Speed and Ranger, etc.) into a dual branding scheme of identical ammo called Winchester-Western (W-W).

Certainly Federal ammo was sold under a number of different brands, mostly different hardware store brands: Gambles Ace, and the Hiawatha Ace brands both from Gambles Hardware, and Sears Sportloads as well as Sears J.C. Higgins, and later Sears Ted Williams branded Federals.

Anyway, the point is the US companies have long been "badge branding" the same shotshells and other products to tap into brand loyalties that were at first independent in most cases. Nothing new. I can only hope if Federal makes the Herter's brand, they keep it as an economical choice and somehow differentiate it from the Estate brand. I hope they use a Cheddite hull, and of a different color than Federal purple. I like the Cheddite hull more than the Federal hull -- more capacity and a better looking re-load, and they last just as long as a Federal. I associate the purple color of Federals with the wound paper basewad, which I do not prefer. YMMV, of course.

Cheers!
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo,
Thank you for that very welcome news for all of us, and I tremble to ask, I don’t suppose you saw anything that hinted at a 2 1/2” load? If not, that’s quite alright, it wouldn’t be the first, or last, time our 16ga short shooters’ hopes were dashed yet again.

Cheers
B.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11,

Good point it would be nice to have anther company making 2 1/2" shells for my pre 1913 L.C. Smith double guns!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

bobski
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:47 am  Reply with quote

but, badge branding today is the same product.
the way I see it, older mergers absorbed different design shells into one name.

i/e: today....a top of the line AA hull and a win universal is a totally different design and its identified and sold as such.

in the case of federal, they call their middle of the road shell a sport and field, and if you take say an estate and open it up....its the same hull with just a different color.

milk is milk. comes from the same dairy. gets processed the same for quality and safety. sorta like saaami is suppose to do. then it gets labeled in different containers.
but,if you have free range cows eating grass, milk tastes different.
and it gets labeled differently and is sold as something different.

not the case with federal.
im hope my point is making sense.

i/e: go to lowes and look at a john deer 42" mower. its the same tractor as a craftsman 42" today.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo