16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Looking to buy a Belgium made sweet 16 buck barrel
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Looking to buy a Belgium made sweet 16 buck barrel.Also, does anybody know if the buck barrels where full choke or not?
tdnathens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

What is a buck barrel?
Tom
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

I’m thinking he means the barrels with the front and rear sights. I was always under the impression they had little to no choke for slugs? Factory barrels are still smooth bore, at least the few I’ve seen...
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Like this one

https://www.gunsamerica.com/944796064/BROWNING-SWEET-16-SLUG-BARREL.htm

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, like that one but Belgium made, not japane. From what I know the buck barrels came with the "buck special" version on the browing a5. This particular version of the a5 came with the buck barrel, a recoil pad and a leather sling. I am only looking for the barrel, as I just bought a Belgium made sweet 16 and would like it for the upcoming deer season. (By the way, I just joined and this is my first post, so let me know if I am doing anything wrong) thanks

Last edited by SweetAndNot16 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:55 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
I’m thinking he means the barrels with the front and rear sights. I was always under the impression they had little to no choke for slugs? Factory barrels are still smooth bore, at least the few I’ve seen...

Last edited by SweetAndNot16 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:00 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:

Yes, that's the barrel. As for the choke, the sweet 16s came with a series of markings on the barrel that indicate what fixed choke it was. My gun came with the original manual, inside it says how to read these markings. (I'm not sure if all sweets had this system or not. If memory serves me correctly, which normally it does not, the old school sweets did not have fixed choke barrels, just plain ol smooth bore like you said. I just know mine does. (By the way if I'm wrong about anything OR everything, please let me know, I'm the furthest thing from a expert on these guns.)

Last edited by SweetAndNot16 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:42 am  Reply with quote

FYI, the Barrel in in the ad link does not have the three lightening holes in the mag tube ring. A true sweet sixteen barrel will have three holes in the ring below the barrel. If a true sweet sixteen buck barrel was made, I don’t know. Of course the standard weight barrel is the same in all other aspects and will function fine on a sweet sixteen.

As far as the smooth bore, that is opposed to a rifled bore designed for sabot type slugs. Smoothed bored shotgun barrels for slugs that have the twist effect on the slugs for stability are usually fitted with only a slight choke, or a cylinder ‘choke’. It is not advisable to shoot slugs from a full choked gun.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
FYI, the Barrel in in the ad link does not have the three lightening holes in the mag tube ring. A true sweet sixteen barrel will have three holes in the ring below the barrel. If a true sweet sixteen buck barrel was made, I don’t know. Of course the standard weight barrel is the same in all other aspects and will function fine on a sweet sixteen.

As far as the smooth bore, that is opposed to a rifled bore designed for sabot type slugs. Smoothed bored shotgun barrels for slugs that have the twist effect on the slugs for stability are usually fitted with only a slight choke, or a cylinder ‘choke’. It is not advisable to shoot slugs from a full choked gun.

I was aware about the difference between rifled and smooth bore barrels, though I was not sure about shooting slugs through a full choke. Thanks for that tidbit.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

Does anybody here HAVE a a5 16 gauge buck barrel?

This is the type im talking about.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/902319342/Browning-Auto-5-Sweet-Sixteen-Buck-Special-16-Gauge-Semi-Auto-Shotgun-Use.htm
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

Take a DEEP breath and look at this site Sad
They have one ... BUT!!!

https://www.corsonsbarrels.com/

Mike

Browning A-5 Shotgun Barrels 16ga

24” Slug Smooth Belguim Rifle sights 95%+ $750 1

Veryoldman
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Give Art a try. Always has several barrels. Good people