16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddite hulls
Skeeve
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:46 am  Reply with quote

First let me say I was very happy to find this group have a brand new old bread and 16 gauge models the 409 built in 1949 . I’ve always reloaded like the flexibility and living in Canada sometimes hard to find 16 gauge ammo. Anyway problem is I’ve always use once fired calls at this time I bought some cheddite hulls , And regardless of adjustment I can’t seem to get a proper crimp , they they always seem to come out caved in at the top or with hole in the middle these hoes seem to be longer then the Remington halls that always crimp perfectly I assume that either need to cut the holes down or add some kind of wad , To make a decent 1 ounce load for grouse hunting. Has anyone found a solution or had experience like this.

Thanks for the help, Skeeve
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Welcome and congrats on your first post. Please tell us what your "recipe"is for the cheddites. They load great if you have the right components

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:44 am  Reply with quote

Hello Skeeve

Welcome on your first posting Smile

Quick easy fix, put a Cheerio (yes breakfast cereal)
in the bottom of the wad cup before dumping the shot, or place one on top of the shot, then crimp.

Proper fix, use the correct wad for the Cheddite hulls and your loading

Have you looked at the Yahoo 16ga site for loads?

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/reloading16gauge/

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Skeeve
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

Wow thanks for the quick response and then I’m gonna love this group all the loads I got were from either Hodgdon or bpi they are the following

Universal 22.2/ched 209/waa16/1oz #8
Green dot /ched 209/z16/1oz #8
Universal 19.9 Ched 209 /WAA16/1oz #8

Think I might try to cheerio track tonight Very Happy
And I already joined the Yahoo group on your recommendation

Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Don't use the aa16 wad in a Federal or herters hull with universal powder even though Hodgdon lists it;youll get terrible bloopers because of powder migration especially if you carry them around. Use the bpi #072sg16 wad. Also know that Universal will be fairly dirty in this application. Using 20gr of universal and a Win 209 primer in a 1oz load I'm getting 1185fps in a Herters hull. Have you considered reloading any 7/8 oz? Great for target loads.

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:23 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

Wasn't absolutely clear in your first post so dumb question; are the Ched hulls once fired or new?

If new unfired I find setting the first pre crimp a little deeper/stonger to help and if they are particularly stubborn I'll preheat the mouths a little with a hair dryer to set the first crimps and then they usually load well afterwards.

Yes the Ched are usually longer than the Rem's so the press usually needs an adjustment OR what I do is set my press for the longer Ched length and use washers/spacers when loading Rem's in the (MEC) pre and final crimp stations.

Good luck with it, again welcome...

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:04 am  Reply with quote

The issue is wad column height.

When completely assembled before the crimp is started the top of the shot needs to be 5/16" from the mouth of the hull. Anymore than that and you will begin to get a concave crimp.

In the Cheddite hull, which is an actual 2 3/4" long (most other hulls are not) you need a load that uses bulkier powders and a full dose of shot. Usually that means that a MEC bar which will not drop a full amount of shot should be altered.

The 1 oz. loads that have always worked for me are, Unique loads between 19 and 21 grains using a B & P wad or the longer Gualandi SG16 wad.

OR

Universal loads between 20 and 22 grains using a B & P wad or the longer Gualandi SG16 wad.

I do not touch any adjustments on my machines and I do reload new Cheddite hulls on both a 9000G and a Sizemaster.

The Precision Reloading part numbers are TUWG1816 for the Gualandi. TUWZ2M16GA for the B & P wad.

The BPI part numbers are 072SG16 for the Gualandi. 020Z16 for the B & P wad.(Field Commander)

No offense to any other poster but I do not add anything to raise the wad column height. I do use just enough wad pressure to make the indicator just bump, but not enough to collapse the wad.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:41 am  Reply with quote

I find the Cheddites work great with 1 oz loads using the SG-16 wad and Universal powder at 1200 fps. It doesn't seem to matter whether they are new hulls or reloaded factory hulls. No fillers needed.

oldog
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:54 am  Reply with quote

are the new hulls youare using skived ? I finf that the case mouth crimps very well if the plastic has been beveled at the mouth. I use a 15deg router bit in a cordless drill.

Skeeve
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:58 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Welcome aboard.

Wasn't absolutely clear in your first post so dumb question; are the Ched hulls once fired or new?

If new unfired I find setting the first pre crimp a little deeper/stonger to help and if they are particularly stubborn I'll preheat the mouths a little with a hair dryer to set the first crimps and then they usually load well afterwards.

Yes the Ched are usually longer than the Rem's so the press usually needs an adjustment OR what I do is set my press for the longer Ched length and use washers/spacers when loading Rem's in the (MEC) pre and final crimp stations.

Yes they are new cheddite hulls, and thanks for the tip.

sneem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Cheerio. Just finished loading 50 Cheddite with SG 16 wad. 7/8 oz shot. One Cheerio in the bottom of the shot cup. 17.7 gr Clays. Perfect crimps.

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Smile
Skeeve
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
Don't use the aa16 wad in a Federal or herters hull with universal powder even though Hodgdon lists it;youll get terrible bloopers because of powder migration especially if you carry them around. Use the bpi #072sg16 wad. Also know that Universal will be fairly dirty in this application. Using 20gr of universal and a Win 209 primer in a 1oz load I'm getting 1185fps in a Herters hull. Have you considered reloading any 7/8 oz? Great for target loads.

Trying to work up some grouse hunting loads first target Loads will come later.

Last edited by Skeeve on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Skeeve
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Welcome aboard.

Yes the cheddite hulls are new I reset the starting crimp and the shells look much better

Kmcd
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

I've also had problems with getting a decent crimp and have had to use a filler inside the wad .

I've used both of these wads with the same result with new pre-primed shells. Without using a filler, the crimp falls inside.

1 oz. Universal 19.9 Ched 209 WAA16 1165 7,100 Hodgdons
1 oz. Universal 20.5 Ched 209 BPI SG 16 1165 7,500 Hodgdons

I'm using Mec Jr reloader. I've tried making adjustments to the cam, but haven't gotten great results.

Any advice would be appreciated!