16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Recommendation on 16 ga side by side
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

canvasback wrote:
Well, this is just me but if my budget was $5K, I'd buy a Fox Sterlingworth in 16 gauge that was in good mechanical condition with good to excellent bores. I'd have the barrels reblued and as a left hander, I'd restock it for a custom fit. Ideally you'd be looking for one with a problematic stock.....broken or cut too short for most people so the value of the gun is reduced.

I just did the same (including CCH) on a Remington 1894 12 gauge that came out beautifully. I plan to use the Remington mainly for clays. By the time I have the chokes opened I will have sunk $3300 into the Remington. I may not get my money out if I try to sell it but i have essentially a new gun for $3300......not my plan to sell it. And I like it better than any new gun I might buy for $3300.

I am assuming the 16 required in this case would be more for actual hunting. I would probably not CCH it. Admittedly, the Fox SW 16 will cost more than a Rem 1894 BE but I'm pretty sure on a $5K budget I could come up with a pretty spectacular hunting 16!

[URL=http://s267.photobucket.com/user/JAMESROBLIN/media/guns/Remington%201894%20BE%20136009/Rem%201894%20BE%20Book%20Gun%20Case_zps7ahdcwsz.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s267.photobucket.com/user/JAMESROBLIN/media/guns/Remington%201894%20BE%20136009/Rem%201894%20BE%20Left%20Stock%20amp%20Action_zpslb1l9pwg.jpg.html] [/URL]

The cost of a decent 16ga Sterlingworth and restocking it with a blank such as the one on your 1894 and to the same level of work that Mr. Dawe does would probably put the OP over his 5K budget down here. We're not all blessed to have access to his quality of work at such reasonable prices. Sad

It's a shame the cost is prohibitive and it's such a hassle to get a "modern" gun in to Canada. I have an 1894 BE 10ga with 32" C grade barrels (Etoile 3BP) I'd love to have him restock.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:06 am  Reply with quote

With a $5K budget, I'd poke around a little before committing. Another consideration would be a Merkel. And for heavens sake, don't contact a dealer and say "I've got $5000 to spend, whatcha got?" Wink Gil

PS: here's one with left handed wood.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/merkel-shotguns/merkel-model-1620e-16ga-serial-386105-as-new-with-5-000-wenig-left-hand-wood.cfm?gun_id=101164018
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:37 am  Reply with quote

Don't forget the Spanish sidelocks... You should be able to pick up a high AYA #2 with enough budget left for bending the stock cast on.

One thing to consider is how important is weight in the equation. The RBL, and say an AYA #2 will come in mid sixes or so. For a field gun some prefer a few ounces less.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:10 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
Don't forget the Spanish sidelocks... You should be able to pick up a high AYA #2 with enough budget left for bending the stock cast on.

One thing to consider is how important is weight in the equation. The RBL, and say an AYA #2 will come in mid sixes or so. For a field gun some prefer a few ounces less.

I agree with this.

New AyA #2's are up around 8K, at least they are at Fieldsport. A good used one should be half of that or less.
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:57 am  Reply with quote

If your can push the budget... Fieldsport happens to have a "Bournbrook" round body boxlock, cast on straight stock.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/aya-aguirre-y-aranzabal-shotguns/aya-boxlock-round-action-16-gauge-29-quot-bbls-cast-on-for-left-handed-shooter.cfm?gun_id=101242078

"It's just 'a little bit' more".....
Griffon
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:46 am  Reply with quote

RBL 16 Good quality, great service. Seems like it gets harder and harder to find a good gunsmith with fast turn around to work on the older guns.

Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:

90% of listed 16's that don't mention weight will be closer to 7 than 6 lbs.
GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:13 am  Reply with quote

All,

I appreciate the great ideas and responses. Yeah, the AYA #2 is certainly an option. I do like the single trigger side by sides though. I know, I know, blasphemy!!! I may go used or new. I just can't decide.

And I agree, I should not go in to a gun store and say, "hey, I have $5k to spend!"

nutcase
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

GrizzlyAdams

If you like this gun and you're not in a hurry, wait a few months and if its still for sale(and there's a decent chance it will be,) walk into Fieldsport and say...

"Hey I kinda like this gun, but I ONLY have $5k to spend!" Wink

Last edited by nutcase on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:50 am  Reply with quote

nutcase wrote:

GrizzlyAdams

If you like this gun and you're not in a hurry, wait a few months and if its still for sale(and there's a decent chance it will be,) walk into Fieldsport and say...

"Hey I kinda like this gun, but I ONLY have $5k to spend!" Wink

Ha! It's a beauty for sure. Too bad I live in Georgia I'm liking the AyA shotgun more and more.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:04 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, the AYA #2 is certainly an option.

Yes, it should be but see my post on maintaining it. However unless you are a confirmed sidelock fan (which I am) I would strongly recommend a modern boxlock design, meaning double underbites and no crossbolts or rib extensions. Modern metallurgy and manufacturing technology coupled with a strong and light compact action make the boxlock a superior alternative, and there are many outstanding choices on the market.

And there is really nothing wrong at all with single selectable triggers, although I prefer double triggers, I find the single trigger to be ideal for clays. And note that many experts recommend either straight stock with splinter forend, or pistol grip with beavertail forend, and not to mix the two.

Finally, if you are spending something north of $5K please don't get choke tubes, there will either be an unsightly bulge or the barrel walls will be needlessly thickened to conceal them.

Good Luck
B.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, the AYA #2 is certainly an option.

Yes, it should be but see my post on maintaining it. However unless you are a confirmed sidelock fan (which I am) I would strongly recommend a modern boxlock design, meaning double underbites and no crossbolts or rib extensions. Modern metallurgy and manufacturing technology coupled with a strong and light compact action make the boxlock a superior alternative, and there are many outstanding choices on the market.

And there is really nothing wrong at all with single selectable triggers, although I prefer double triggers, I find the single trigger to be ideal for clays. And note that many experts recommend either straight stock with splinter forend, or pistol grip with beavertail forend, and not to mix the two.

Finally, if you are spending something north of $5K please don't get choke tubes, there will either be an unsightly bulge or the barrel walls will be needlessly thickened to conceal them.

Good Luck
B.

Really good advice in this post.

16'er
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:16 am  Reply with quote

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/shotguns-spanish-double/aya-4-53-16-gauge.cfm?gun_id=101191486

Pitting/marks on left side of receiver, but 0” cast. Bet there’s some haggle room on this one.
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Straight grip Winchester model 21’s in 16 ga not much off 5k these days and mostly single trigger guns.

CanoeMan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

It may be worth a call to John Boyd at Quality Arms in Houston (281)870-8377. Ask if a FAIR Iside in 16 gauge can be had with a left handed cast. They can be had simple and plain and decorated. I have a right hand cast in 16. I requested 6.0 pounds and a 15+ inch lop. I had to wait for a couple months but one arrived. It fits perfectly. Both barrels shoot to the same place. Its the best regulated double I have ever had. The screw in choke tubes pattern well also. The safety comes off much easier than other guns. I have previously owned Merkels and AYA 453s, and hefted quite a few Faustis. This gun beats them hands down. Pay attention to weight and balance.