16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Replacement arrives
rdja
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Some of you may remember that the stock cracked on my new A5 16ga and I sent it to Browning. Stocks were on such a back order they sent me a replacement gun. Brand new A5 16 ga arives at my house yesterday early evening. This thing is spanking new still covers with cosmoline. So before I even assembled the gun, I tore it apart, incudes the bolt, magazine tube, everything. Took about 90 minutes, that stuff was everywhere. RE-assembled the gun and the bolt will not lock back. The button in front of the trigger does not do anything. I even put a snap cap in it, fired the gun, when I pulled the bolt back it would not lock back. Called Browning and in less than 24 hours in my hands it is headed back to Browning. Something wrong in the trigger group I suspect. The tech at Browning got me a shipping label fast and promised me I would not go to the back of the line for service. Hope its a quick easy fix, dove season is around the corner. Too bad I don't have ANY OTHER shotgun I could use for that, (ha,ha,ha). With the last 2 years I have had with issues, think I better buy a lottery ticket because my luck HAS to change at some point.
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

WHEW!!
Thank you for the report
Mike

oldog
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:56 am  Reply with quote

did it lock back before you took it apart ?

rdja
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:25 am  Reply with quote

oldog wrote:
did it lock back before you took it apart ?

Did not try, just removed the forearm and then the bolt for cleaning, so I don't know.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

Just be a little more patient like you have been and this will all turn out well for you. Kudos to Browning for handling it.

Today I took my customized A5 SW16 "Sweetie Pie" to a sporting clays range for the first time with member Black Belt. He shot his SW16 and another 12 ga. A5 with engraving. Utterly amazing how I shot 100 founds of 1 oz. factory ammo with absolutely no recoil discomfort in this 5 1/2 pound 16 ga. inertia auto. The other amazing thing was the ease of hitting was no worse than with my 28" barrel with this shorty barrel. I thought it shot even better. Grouse, you have been warned. (roosters too!)

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/porme9bsj] [/URL]
rdja
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:19 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:

Utterly amazing how I shot 100 founds of 1 oz. factory ammo with absolutely no recoil discomfort in this 5 1/2 pound 16 ga. inertia auto. The other amazing thing was the ease of hitting was no worse than with my 28" barrel with this shorty barrel. I thought it shot even better. Grouse, you have been warned. (roosters too!)

I had the same feeling when I shot a few rounds of clays with the first gun. I even shot Fiocchi's 1 oz at 1300 fps, for a breaking. Shot 50 clays and no ill effects.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:36 am  Reply with quote

These are addictive guns to shoot and hunt. They have no real soul, but they make up for it in handling and shooting. Must be the "Erikon Bar" effect kicking in because this shorty seems just as stable as my long 28" barrel. Browning would sell even more by offering a shorter 'upland' model with some carry-friendly grip choices. Either way they are quick to the target and fun to shoot.
rdja
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:46 am  Reply with quote

I am considering changing the grip on my gun, but wonder if that would effect perceived recoil, from what Dave is saying it sounds like no it would not. There may be a "make over" in the future of my gun. Maybe next summer if all goes well.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Didn't change mine a bit, but "Slim" left a very nice palm-swell for me. Smile
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
These are addictive guns to shoot and hunt. They have no real soul, but they make up for it in handling and shooting. Must be the "Erikon Bar" effect kicking in because this shorty seems just as stable as my long 28" barrel. Browning would sell even more by offering a shorter 'upland' model with some carry-friendly grip choices. Either way they are quick to the target and fun to shoot.

I emailed browning earlier this year suggesting a shotshow special upland sweet sixteen. I encourage others here to do the same..

16’er
Bret
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:29 am  Reply with quote

You are having a rough go of it with this gun. I am certain Browning will make it right. Mine has shot flawlessly. I'm hoping once you get it back yours will too.

I just bought the 525 in 16. I love it!

https://bretwonnacott.com/
A Millionaire's Dream - a novel
rdja
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:53 am  Reply with quote

Bret wrote:
You are having a rough go of it with this gun. I am certain Browning will make it right. Mine has shot flawlessly. I'm hoping once you get it back yours will too.

I just bought the 525 in 16. I love it!

I really enjoyed mine before the first stock cracked, especially after I added a spacer for more LOP. Even considered getting one to have Duracoated to use more extensively in the duck blind and nasty briar laced upland. But decided to wait till I give this one a good year's workout. Still hard to leave the 16 ga DT SxS in the safe, did not miss a pheasant in the 17-18 season with it. Preserve pheasants so not a huge challenge.
But I have shot autos for most of my shooting life, they just feel good to me.
rdja
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Happy to report my Sweet should be back in my hand by tomorrow afternoon. Tracking has it in the local UPS office, so should arrive tomorrow.
Hope it get it out this weekend and shoot some clays, maybe a few doves butthey have not been cooperating in my area. Can't wait to fling some lead with it.
yippee!!!!!
Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

You've put up with a lot. Hope you have smooth sailing from here.

rdja
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Got my A5 16 back on Friday. Put it together and it seemed to be working fine. Shot clays with it Sunday, after shooting my 8lb gas operated, semi-auto on Wednesday, the first clay I shot at was very funny, I was all over the place with the light barrel. Then I settled down and focused better and did not let the light weight bother me. Shot pretty well, gun functioned well. Had some trouble getting the speed load to work then realized I was not doing it right. Once I increased my speed of shoving the shell it worked every time. After two boxes of Fiocchi #8s at 1300fps, I tried some 7/8oz reloads and they cycled just fine, broke the target as well too. Since I shot the heavy gun(with a Kickoff) just a few days before I did notice some recoil this time. I did go home and changed to the longer spacer as it still felt too short and that might increase felt recoil, if the gun is not mounted tight.
Very pleased, it is going to be a pheasant killer. Now lets just hope I get to be able to go hunting this year. Having some issues with a bad hip replacement, but that's a story for another day.
Nate