16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Stevens 311C
GrizzLeeBear
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Ohio, thanks for the tip on the stain.

Well I did finally get out to shoot some sporting clays with it. Shot 50 one ounce Winchester Super-X and 5 Federal shells. The auto safety got me a few times and I had 4 failures to fire in the left barrel. Primers dented but not enough to fire. 3 out of the 4 fired when retried in the right barrel.
I am hoping it just need to have some dried gunk cleaned out of the guts. I will take the stock off and clean it out real good. and measure the firing pin protrusion. While I have it off I will shorten the bar that activates the safety as well.
Otherwise it shot real well. The mod/full chokes were challenging on the closer crossing targets, but I do like how well they hit longer targets. I might just leave it as is for now and load up some spreaders for close targets.
wahoo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Bet it’s just in need of a good internal clean as you hope. Likely didn’t get used much and the old stuff tightened it up. You are ahead of me though. I picked up an early Stevens 16ga too, since you bought yours, but I haven’t shot it at anytime but paper yet. Getting anxious to shoot some clays with it. You should post up some pics of your 16, here.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
GrizzLeeBear
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Finally got around to taking the stock off and cleaning and relubing the inside of the action. There actually wasn't much gunk in it. Measured the firing pin protrusion. Best I can measure with the end of the dial calipers I got .040 on the right barrel and .035 on the left. No wonder I had some light strikes.
After doing some research and being able to see the insides, I see that the pin retaining screws also act as a stop for the hammers. I have found several references to filing a little off the head of the retaining screw is a common fix for this issue in the 311. In my case it looks like about .015 should get me to .050 - .055 protrusion.
GrizzLeeBear
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:42 am  Reply with quote

This morning it dawned on me that with the hammers cocked, the back of the firing pins are exposed. So before heading out for work, I took a small screwdriver and pushed on the back of the pins to push them all the way forward in the seat. The right pin protruded .100 and the left .085. So the pins have plenty of room to go far enough forward and it's definitely the retaining screws that are limiting the hammers and pin protrusion. Tonight I will try to take out the screws and file a little off the heads.