16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington Field and Game Loads
rkittine
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Anyone having any mis-fire issues with the Remington Black Hull Field and Game 16 gauge shells?

I was having mis-fires on the bottom barrel, though not on the top, which did not change when I changed firing pins, though I did not change the hammer springs, which are now on order. This is in a 525 Sporting and my friend tried some in his 525 Sporting and had the same issue.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:25 am  Reply with quote

Yes, it is a known issue with citori's and RGL's. Plenty of older threads. I've noticed many of the FTF shells are dished in at the base. Alot of my RGL's are older production. I've heard newer production has a bit of a softer primer material and not as much an issue?
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:31 am  Reply with quote

I get pierced primers in in my Ithaca 37's about 10% of the time.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

For quite a few years I heard that the lower bbl. FTF issue in Brownings was caused by cheddite primers being too hard and piercing primers. Which causes chips in the firing pin which escalates the issue by the firing pin eroding away and become shorter.

And then a lot of people started to say the lower firing pin is just too short. And others that the metal too soft so it wears fast. Couple of years ago Browning did change the shape of the head of the firing pin to a more rounded design.

Not sure that anyone knows the real issue. I don't own a Browning Citori or newer Browning O\U but have been held up on squads MANY times from others that do and have had lower bbl. FTF issues. Last time was 3 weeks ago shooting 5 stand and had 2 of them on the squad and both were having FTF issues with the lower bbl. They were not 16 ga. and not shooting RGL.

J&P Products makes replacement firing pins and springs for Brownings because of the issue. Including 16 ga. Brownings

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/BROWNING-PARTS-c20975296

It seems to resolve the issue for those that have had them. So does a brand new Browning firing pin, at least for awhile.

Seems gun dependent and you always hear- well my Browning has no issues with any shell in the lower barrel. Then you can have 2 of them shooting in the same squad as you and both having lower bbl. FTF issues.
DiamondHunts
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:24 am  Reply with quote

I too have intermittent pierced primers on the Remington Game Loads with my Rizzini BR550 16ga. This is the only load I’ve shot that has given me any issues. The gun is brand new with less than 1000 rounds. I’m not concerned that it’s an issue with the gun, but will likely not purchase anymore Remington Game Loads in 16ga.
rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:41 am  Reply with quote

My smith ordered a new fireing pin and it did not look like the old one, nor would it fit. He thinks they sent the wrong one so it has been reordered along with new hammer springs. Will just have to see. Some of the Game loads were bought from a guy who had them for a while, so I will have to try some of the ones that I bought that are much newer.

Thanks for all the responses. Bob

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

I am going to second Cold Iron's suggestion of the JP Products Springs.

My Citori had a chipped bottom firing pin. I ordered the springs and pins from JP Products, it only took a few days for me to receive parts. Good looking quality.

I have fired about 250 rounds of Remington ammo, no FTF's at all. I also shot a 100 clay target event yesterday with no problems, shooting reloaded RGI's using Winchester 209's.

rkittine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:17 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys, the spring replacement is next.

Bob

MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Bob,

That lower pin made by Browning can also be an issue. The J & P firing pins are made just a bit different. I think the pins, especially the lower firing pin, is/are the other part of this equation.

J & P sells the springs and firing pins in one package.

Food for thought.

Blue Goose
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:25 am  Reply with quote

My Model 12 started piercing primers with these loads. I’ve recently read a post on another site where there were quite a few responders complaining about the same issue.

I contacted Remington and the representative said they have changed primers and that is the problem. Saddest news is there are no plans change back to what usedto work.