16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lets talk WADS
3DocPop
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

Bruce - Are you on a waiting list, while Recob gets an order together, or are they in stock.

Either way, that is working towards the third order from Recob this year, with the minimum 100K that Remingtion insists on to make a run. So, that is getting close to 400K in this year alone.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Actually, there have been three orders delivered and distributed. The count is nearly at 1/2 million and still accelorating. This from a very small faction of reloaders, avid as we are. Is there a market for a domestic 16 ga wad for light loads? You'd better believe it. Someone is going to do it. I've no doubt here.
claymanxs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Kevin,

As a new 16 ga owner and brand new to 16 ga reloading, I can tell you without a doubt you would corner the 16 reloading market by developing WAA16 replacement.

I don't understand the "recobs" posting and subsequent replys. Is there a different r16 wad? Can you or anyone enlighten me?

I plan on reloading the Remi black hull with sp16 wad in 1ounce load.

Thanks for your interest.

Doug
RWG
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Kevin:

Let me toss my hat in by first thanking you for your interest in our opinion. No doubt you will get an ear full from the members of this board. Here are my thoughts on the present 16 ga. wad situation.

Absent a revival of 16 ga. compression formed hulls, I would not revive the WAA 16 wad. However, it might be a good basis for a new wad. Most new 16 ga. reloaders are using straight walled, multi piece hulls. So the idea of a redesigned wad for 3/4-7/8 oz makes a lot of sense. One with a flexible gas seal for use in today's hulls. From as tight as the Rem promo hulls to the widest Federal hull. That's a tall task. But it would fit a niche. As you have seen, most target shooters (those who buy wads in bulk) prefer light for bore loadings in 2 3/4" hulls. 3/4-15/16 oz are very popular. Many of us settle for 7/8 oz by using 20 ga. wads in the Rem hull. The Gualandi and Orange duster (WAA 20 clone) are the preferred wads. That means longer soft crush sections than the european wads we presently have available to us. The shotcup should hold a full 7/8 oz of #8s (allowing sligtly heavier loads to ride naked). Your 1 oz PC 12 ga. wad would make a nice starting point for such a wad. So too might a 7/8 oz. windjammer wad. (I am presently experimenting with the Windjammer 20 ga. 1 oz wad in the 16. This wad has great potential, but too would be better with a wider gas seal.) Just a few thoughts. Russ
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

RWG wrote:

Absent a revival of 16 ga. compression formed hulls, I would not revive the WAA 16 wad. However, it might be a good basis for a new wad. Most new 16 ga. reloaders are using straight walled, multi piece hulls. So the idea of a redesigned wad for 3/4-7/8 oz makes a lot of sense. Russ

I FULLY agree with this line of thought.
Ellis450
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

Hi,
I am new to this forum and this thread, but I have been shooting 16 bore sxs doubles for over 25 years. I am just getting ready to start reloading for 16 bore, as the cost and availability of target ammo is just getting rediculous. I load for so much rifle stuff that I have avoided the shotgun loading. Anyway, from the research I have done so far, it looks like there is a serious need for wads that are available for 7/8 and 1 oz. loads. I don't shoot as much shotgun as rifle, but would still probably be interested in over 2000 wads a year. I know it's not a lot like most of the folks that have posted here, but still something I need.

Ellis

RWG
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Ellis450 wrote:
Hi,
I am new to this forum and this thread, but I have been shooting 16 bore sxs doubles for over 25 years. I am just getting ready to start reloading for 16 bore, as the cost and availability of target ammo is just getting rediculous. I load for so much rifle stuff that I have avoided the shotgun loading. Anyway, from the research I have done so far, it looks like there is a serious need for wads that are available for 7/8 and 1 oz. loads. I don't shoot as much shotgun as rifle, but would still probably be interested in over 2000 wads a year. I know it's not a lot like most of the folks that have posted here, but still something I need.

Ellis

Ellis:

What hull do you plan to use? This will dictate your best choice in available wads. Russ
Equismith
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

Kevin,

I thought I'd revive this old thread and see if you had an update or what your plans were.

Thanks for your PM sent from the shotgunworld website.

To all other 16ga.com reloading folks; Are you still interested in a domestic 16ga wad?

Raw plastic prices will certainly cause price increases for us whatever we use, as long as it ain't fiber or card.

Thanks

Bud

Miss Libby
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:29 am  Reply with quote

Kevin--Just a bit more 'grist' for your mill.

A wad dedicated for 7/8 oz. in the roomy Federal hull would be useful and, I suspect. popular--we currently have available several wads for the one ounce loading and at least one for the 1 1/8 oz. payload. Wads developed for the slightly larger Federal hull would fill a rather large 'gap' IMHO.

I currently shoot Federal hulled one ounce reloads using the Guilandi wads and some cobbled together 7/8 ounce loads with the R-16 in old fiber based Remington hulls. About 5000 per year but that number would be higher if a 7/8 oz. wad for the Fed hull were available.

Thank you for your inquiry.
Ron
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Kevin, Russ has pretty much mirrored my initial input to you via the phone over a year ago. The concept of a 3/4 to 7/8 ounce 16 ga wad that would work in all available cases makes the most practical sense.

However, since we last spoke, it has become increasingly obvious that Remington is going offshore for their sport and hunting ammo production. I believe they will soon start using a Cheddite type case for their 16 ga ammo. This could mean they will either modify their existing two wads or drop them all together and start using the European models.

If this happens, your company will have an opportunity to offer domestic wads for several different capacities. You could also have the only domestic made 16 ga wad available. The next year or so will tell what Remington will do. I advise keeping an eye on things.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Equismith wrote:
Kevin,

I thought I'd revive this old thread and see if you had an update or what your plans were.

To all other 16ga.com reloading folks; Are you still interested in a domestic 16ga wad?

Raw plastic prices will certainly cause price increases for us whatever we use, as long as it ain't fiber or card.

Thanks

Bud

I seem to vaguely recall a thread over on Shotgunworld.com from someone who had talked to Kevin about the 16 wad who reported that Downrange didn't feel the market was there to support developing a new wad. Do not accept this as gospel as my memory ain't what it used to be!

Down Range has been giving away samples of cloned 12S3, TGT12, and Fig8 wads so they have been busy developing the popular target wads. (BTW, they are giving away samples of the cloned TGT12 and Fig8 now. If you want them go to their web site.)
Equismith
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

clayflingythingy wrote:
Equismith wrote:
Kevin,

Thanks

Bud

I seem to vaguely recall a thread over on Shotgunworld.com from someone who had talked to Kevin about the 16 wad who reported that Downrange didn't feel the market was there to support developing a new wad. Do not accept this as gospel as my memory ain't what it used to be!

Down Range has been giving away samples of cloned 12S3, TGT12, and Fig8 wads so they have been busy developing the popular target wads. (BTW, they are giving away samples of the cloned TGT12 and Fig8 now. If you want them go to their web site.)

If we rollover and give up, we'll never get a domestic 16ga wad, unless Charles is successful.

Miss Libby
jig
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:01 am  Reply with quote

1. Mostly reload the old Federal Plasticpaper base wad hull cuz I have a bunch of them. But they don't last too long especially if they get wet.
Usually use either the R-16, SG16 or Z16 BP wad. Though I just ordered some BP MM wads & nitro cards for heavier loadings. I also would love an STS type hull in 16GA, I love those hulls.

My preference is the black Rem hull and the R-16 wad. I also have been loading up 3/4 oz loads for clays. I echo what everybody else says here:
give us a wad that we can go light with without having to use fillers.

I would gladly buy 2 different style wads if they were available. That is, one wad for 7/8 and down to 3/4oz (no fillers) and maybe another wad for 1oz to 1 1/8 being the max i ever go with the 16GA.
Equismith
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=124876

Miss Libby
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

I will bring you folks up to speed on what is going on .

This has been established for some time , AA PRECISION ( Myself ) and Downrange MFG. have establised a Joint Venture , I will provide the 3/4 - 7/8OZ Mold , with Downrange to Run , Distribute and Market the wad .

Ballistics testing is to commence at the first of the year with wad availability to be announced at a later date ( Arnie will have the prototype mold done in Dec. ) with testing to follow and once I am satisfied with the wad then the work to the production mold will start.

I know everyone is excited as I am and cannot wait untill we can have wads in hand , but I ask you to be patient and it will happen , please be considerate when showing your support for the wad and respect Kevin's time when emailing him .

Also I have a Joint Venture with Bill Hanus Bird Guns that has been established for some time now . I will not discuss the extent of this venture at this time , just wanted to let you know things are moving just not as fast as we all would wish .

Also I will say that Joint Ventures with other Companies are in the works with some real interesting stuff going on , lets all hope that about 10% of it comes true , we will all enjoy the efforts .

Regards Charles