16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Garmin Alpha 100 TT15 Collar System
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:08 am  Reply with quote

I have a Garmin Alpha that I always use when hunting my GSP. I was getting ready for grouse season albeit late and plugged the transmitter in but it is not charging. I've had it probably 4 years anyway but would like to fix it if possible rather than buy a new one. Anyone have the same issue? Hoping I can just change the battery out. Joe
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:46 am  Reply with quote

I use the same setup for my dogs, but never encountered that problem. Garmin has always been very helpful when I've called them on other issues though. Thanks for the reminder to get my collars out and check everything before heading out west next month. Around home I use the Garmin Pro 70 as locating the dogs is generally not an issue, you don't have to switch the controller between dogs, has a light function for locating the dogs at night, and it has a great bark collar incorporated which I'm sure the neighbors appreciate.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

Rifle- I plan on calling them Monday AM. I'll be heading west the 16th so I've gotta have a fix for it before that I guess even if it means a new one. I have the Sport Pro with the light feature on it as well. I run that one all summer and even double up in the fall. Wish me luck with the collar and good luck on your trip west.
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

I have had the Alpha since it was first introduced. Garmin has a program I don’t think they advertise but if you send them your broken transmitter they will send you a rebuilt one for around $150 to $200 and that sure beats purchasing a new one for $600. They do the same things with their collars for around a $100. I have replaced one of my collars and the transmitter and you can’t tell the rebuilt one from a new one.

They stand behind their products or at least they have for me.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:30 am  Reply with quote

I bought one from Gun Dog supply, called him, he sent me a new one, mine had trouble right out of the box.

Works now, but haven't used it.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

I called Lion country supply and left a message regarding mine. Its between 4 and 5 years old. Anyway got in from hunting this morning and the phone rang it was a rep from Lion country, told him what was going on and he said "you need a new battery" So I got one for the collar too as well as the transmitter. Be here Wednesday plug and play. Lion country's service is the best. I've got to tell you hunting without that GPS around him in the country I hunt where right now 50 yards is out of sight, here was unnerving. That unit was a game changer for me the first time I put it on a dog. Maybe I'm just a nervous nelly!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Soggy Socks,

Hay buddy you are not a nervous nelly, many of my clients are just like you and ask me to develop a training program for our Dogtra T&B collars centering on the beeper as a command tool. Many have added the Garmin GPS units on top of the Dogtra T&B because they want to know exactly where their dog is located in the big Grouse woods.
As you indicated the habitat can be so thick that it can become unnerving for most gun dog owner.
I am currently looking at the Garmin 550 Pro Plus Mini, to add to our Dogtra T&B Collars.

Lion Country - Great Pa business!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

Soggy socks wrote:
I called Lion country supply and left a message regarding mine. Its between 4 and 5 years old. Anyway got in from hunting this morning and the phone rang it was a rep from Lion country, told him what was going on and he said "you need a new battery" So I got one for the collar too as well as the transmitter. Be here Wednesday plug and play. Lion country's service is the best. I've got to tell you hunting without that GPS around him in the country I hunt where right now 50 yards is out of sight, here was unnerving. That unit was a game changer for me the first time I put it on a dog. Maybe I'm just a nervous nelly!

Glad the solution was easy and if the units have problems in the future Garmin will replace them for the modest fees I mentioned. My issues were not battery related, it ended up being the compass feature, or that seemed to be the issue.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:31 am  Reply with quote

Here's hoping that's all it is, it is nice knowing the unit can be replaced for a modest cost though. I'll let you know Joe
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:47 am  Reply with quote

Rifle and PC Dave Well that was easy! Batteries came today I ordered one for the collar itself too since they are both same age and I figured it might go too. Anyway I thought I would have to take the whole back off the transmitter which I was dreading. All you have to do is turn the lanyard clip 90 degrees the back pops off and the new battery goes in just like a digital camera battery no wires to hook up. It's charging now, they even sent Cooper dog biscuits again. The one for the collar is in my dog bag. That looks a bit more complicated. Cant beat Lion country. Joe
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Soggy Socks,

Joe I agree Lion Country is a great company to deal with, hope your transmitter is back on line now.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers