16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington nitro steel
Emtymag
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Has anyone shot remington nitro steel? I bought 2 boxes of new stock lately and have fired 5 rounds. All 5 did not eject. Didn’t even try, next to zero recoil. Supposed to be 15/16 oz payload. I Cut one open and it was 7/8oz. Nice was similar to a vp80/pt1680 with 5 slits. Most confusing part is a powder charge of only 16.7gr. To get that payload moving with that little powder would mean a fast burning powder, which is incorrect for steel shot.

My new A5 has given me zero issues, minus some failures to eject some light hand loads.

Any ideas? Call/email Remington?

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:13 am  Reply with quote

7/8 oz. isn't much of a payload and might not function some autoloaders.

You can't assume anything about the powder charge, because you don't really know what it is.

Will your shotgun function on 7/8 oz. of lead? If not, I wouldn't be surprised that it wouldn't function the steel load.

4setters
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:17 am  Reply with quote

Emag,

I've never had any problems with Rem Nitro Steel 16 gauge shells in the past. Good waterproof load. However, my remaining shells are several years old, so I'm not sure they compare to newly manufactured loads. Don't duck hunt much anymore.

I cut one of my older Rem steel 4 Nitro Steel loads up and found that it contained 23 grains of a large, flakey powder, that at least looks similar to STEEL (I didn't do a side by side comparison, however). It also contained about 414 grains of #4 shot, while 15/16 oz. should have been about 410 ozs.

While I was at it I cut up a rusty Federal load. It contained 23.5 grains of what looked to be the same powder. It also contained 375 grains of shot, similar to the 382 for a 7/8 oz load.

Both loads appeared to have the same wad, just different colors. Looked to be a VP80/1620 BP wad to me. Both contained shot that was very light in color and looked more like aluminum than steel, but a magnet readily sucked the shot right up.

If you only had 16.7 grains of powder in a shell you cut open, I'd cut another, and, if about the same, contact Remington. Shells do get recalled occasionally, due to improper loading at the factory.

Pics below.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hwrcZ1] [/url]rem by Michael Widner, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hwnsTt] [/url]20191017_113213 by Michael Widner, on Flickr

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Emtymag
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:43 am  Reply with quote

The gun has cycled 7/8oz lead at 1165fps and all factory 15/16oz federal steel loads. Also runs my hand loads well other than the the first small batch of lower velocity steel.

I cut 2 remingtons open. One had 16.5gr the other 16.7gr of large flake powder similar to the Alliant steel powder I have.

Both had around 387gr of shot. When you shake a shell, anyone of the 43 or so I have left, you can hear the shot shaking in the wad.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:48 am  Reply with quote

In this case since there is nothing you can do about it, you will have to find a load that will function the shotgun.....not much you can do with factory loads either they work of they don't.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

A couple ideas:
1. Chrono a few rounds, look at avg vel and SD
2. Weigh each of the unfired rounds intact, look for outliers

Ammo makers will replace product if you can document a flaw. I've done it.

Good luck
B.