16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  How fast the ideal 1oz?
kgb
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know if this has been addressed before, but here goes. In the 12ga world the traditional "Pigeon Load" of 1 1/4oz of shot at 3 1/4DE (or 1220fps) is often considered a load very likely to perform well in a variety of barrels and chokes, particularly tight chokes for longer ranges. There's an even chance, I suppose, that this has simply been repeated through the years and has no real foundation in fact. To be fair that potential doesn't make it a bad thing, since the image of square loads carries enough of its own weight with fans of 28ga and 16ga guns and there's little reason to argue too hard against them.

If we're going to be excited about a 1oz charge in our 16's, what's the ideal speed to send it out? The commercial standard seems to be 2.5DE or 1165fps and those work well for me. I've seen 2.75DE listed with 1oz for 1220fps.

If in fact the 1 1/8oz loads are optimal the range goes from 2.75DE or 1185fps to 3.25DE or 1295fps. I've only got a handful of the difference splitter, 3DE for 1240fps, and haven't used any of them that I can recall. It's probably not fair to compare factory shells of the past against themselves unless we can determine they contain equal quality shot, but as handloaders we can use the same bag of shot to load the same round to a variety of velocities and maybe with a single powder to keep that variable down to simply pressure rather than burn rate characteristics.

Has anybody here done the patterning to find an optimal 1oz velocity in their particular gun, or for any other shot charge for that matter?

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

I like 1250 to 1300 FPS for hunting.......1200 to 1250 for clays.

This is 6 inches between the ears stuff.

Anything between 1150 and 1300 works just fine.

Whether a person can handle the recoil is another conversation.

Emtymag
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting concept. I’m fairly new to the 16ga but have patterned a lot of 12ga steel shot loads I’ve the years as I primarily duck hunt. The hand full of loads that I have patterned from my 16ga have all done quite well.
They are,
1oz lead from approx. 1100-1250fps.
7/8-15/16 oz of steel from approx. 1300-1500fps.
1oz of bismuth from approx. 1250-1480fps.

putz463
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:07 am  Reply with quote

I view speed as a factor or component of the end game/desired terminal ballistics. No different than deciding which choke or pellet or gauge or whatever is going to help get the job done.

1200-1250 lead, 1500-1600 steel, bismuth TBD

Regarding speed and the 6" between the ears stuff, I'm finding it interesting learning/thinking about Time In Flight stuff or following the exploits of a member of this forum who is playing with jacking the speed of small amounts of small shot up to blistering speeds and being successful with it.

Last edited by putz463 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:36 am  Reply with quote

1200 fps
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Ooooo . . . . I see the mention of the hallowed and magical square load concept, KGB. Careful there . . . .
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:57 am  Reply with quote

I don't load any hunting loads to less than 1300fps (lead)
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:10 am  Reply with quote

818.1818 mph
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
Ooooo . . . . I see the mention of the hallowed and magical square load concept, KGB. Careful there . . . .

Just to make ourselves feel better about not carrying 12ga guns, Tony. Smile

The two rounds I've settled on for hunting are on the lighter side, they pattern well out of tight chokes with my belief in hard shot as the main cause. My stash of the old WW CF loadings are 1 1/8oz, the patterning I've done with them indicates softer shot as they pattern more open. I doubt the 1 1/8oz charge is a mismatch, whether 2 3/4 or 3 1/4 DE, but they're plenty effective for the hunting done with them.

I certainly like loading to 1200fps down to 1150fps for 12's and 16's, will try for that with 20ga if I ever load them just to keep things simple.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:31 am  Reply with quote

Putzie , the afforementioned speed freak guy is purported to be using 12ga , 1/2oz bizz loads of 9's at 1750 fps . Quite happy with this as a duck load ! I guess I've always been a 7.5 guy at everything from 1150 to 1450 in the day - didn't seem to matter to critters - even fox !

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
818.1818 mph

For the record: 818.1818 mph = 1200 fps
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Smiling 😀 , just finished loading 10#'s of #9 Bismuth .

Yep been buying so many SXS in 12 GA and a few 16's from Simpson's that it's not funny .

😀🤗🤗🤗😀 I love my Lachmiller that Skeetex was so nice to turn me into, one of the best pieces of equipment that I have come across for reloading.

Using aforementioned piece of equipment been loading and shooting thousands of 1/2 oz loads in 12 GA and quite a few in 16 GA , used the 1/2 oz loads at 1400 fps to shoot my 15 doves on opening day and several since then , low gun Skeet with 1/2 oz loads proves the loads effectiveness to me that I have started loading them by the thousands , provided one shoots some choke ( 3/4 ) oz is for cylinder bore guns , I thought 5/8 oz was the lower limit , I changed my mind it's not.

I have an SD card full of game pictures that I have not posted , I kind feel like it will serve little to no purpose any more , those that want to try something different already have , the other's well ??? MMA cage fighters respond to more force than I care to experience.

My throw away hulls for duck hunting are loaded with 1/2 oz #9 Bismuth shot @ 1625 fps shouldn't have to load any for a couple of years now.

I bet I can post a whole lot of pictures that these loads have taken and will take .

I am lucky to live on the farm where I shoot something everyday with horsebow , air rifles , shotguns , center-fire rifles and even the Ole catapult.

If it doesn't kill it , dear ole Mom doesn't get dinner , now it's not nice to make Mom mad.

Regards , Nick