16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Recommendations for a Setter breeder in WI?
Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Sugar Creek,
Lovely dogs.
If you ever want to touch back to River’s bloodline, my male is a proven sire and he is out of River x Spice. You can see his webpage at Rymansetters.com. I am really not sure how Lisa set it up but his name is October River Birch. Not being a member of the site I can’t view his webpage. He spends every September/October in Michigan’s U.P. hunting grouse and woodcock and the balance of the fall/winter on pheasant (some wild, but mostly game farm birds - about all we have around here).

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

8mmfan,

If you are still looking for an English Setter pup, Wyssfiresidesetters in WI has 2 litters of Ryman Setter pups on the Ground right now. Give Mike a call at Wyssfiresidesetter, Phone number 608-562-5105

I just contracted for one of the Ryman female pups myself.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

8mmFan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Guys,

THANK YOU, to all of you, for your responses over the last several weeks. I really do appreciate it.

I haven’t checked into 16ga.com for several weeks, simply due to the end-of-year crunch with work/family schedule.

You will see that, about a month ago or so, by complete serendipity my wife ran into a Fireside Setters dog at one of my boys’ sports events. That led us to Mike and, after a long conversation with him on the phone, I put a deposit down through paypal “on the spot” for the first pick of the litter.

We were able as a family to drive up today and pick out our pup. Having now met Mike, a humble, knowledgeable, experienced breeder of of English Setters with a truckload of happy past owners of his pups, I couldn’t be happier. I’m looking forward to many great years of hunting and family time with this pup and my family.

THANK YOU, again, sincerely, to each of you. Sorry I was out of the loop there for a while. I wasn’t ignoring the knowledge you generously shared. Best wishes to each of you in this year’s bird-hunting season!

Sincerely,

8mmFan
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

Glad you got a pup you liked. There must be two fireside kennels near Oconomowoc, because the one I am familiar with is run by Mary-Beth Esser and Brian Lengling and they run Lewellin type setters.

http://www.firesidesetters.com

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

8mmfan,

Glad you got the pup you wanted, hope you picked a fine Ryman Grouse dog pup to make your dreams come true in hunting Grouse and as a family member.

When ever you get the pup home take some pictures and post them, interested to see if you picked a blue or orange Belton pup.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Ryman Daisy - Hoping for a Wyssfiresidesetter that is her equal, hope you picked one also.

8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the good wishes on our new pup, guys. I am just tickled pink, and my 8- and 10-year old sons have already read (just to p. 59, for now) Richard Wolters’ “Gun Dog,” so that we’re all on the same page with pup’s basics. (I tell ya, it’s a lot easier to get boys to read a non-fiction book when they know that a puppy coming home on Saturday is dependent on it! ;-) ).

I would gladly post some pictures but I can’t seem to “save” any pics to this iPad. I’ll try and post one from another PC.

This particular male has quite a bit of all three “colors,” black, brown and white. Honestly, all of the pups were quite remarkable in appearance, even for setters, which I have always thought are good-looking dogs.

You’ve forgotten more than I’ll learn in the next ten years, Dave, with respect to setters. Judging from meeting Mike in person, however, and also getting to meet his older dogs including the mother of this one, I think you’ll really like your pup. Mike’s older setters are perfect conformationally-speaking. They’re also really friendly without being overly excitable. ALL of them, to a dog, were absolutely great with my kids. They move very gracefully, and exhibit an intelligent manner. He takes care of his animals, for sure: the dogs were neither fat nor thin, and their coats were, well, in my wife’s words, “luxurious”.

Mike’s a terrific guy. If you asked him to pick a good one for you, you can bet that he did. The thing is...they ALL exhibited similer mannerisms. In the end, we pretty much picked the one that had coloring that we liked, and seemed bold and friendly. That was pretty much the science behind us picking our pup. I didn’t feel that we could make a mistake, with his pups. There weren’t any that didn’t “walk right,” or were lethargic, or scared, or anything like that.

With your lifetime of training dogs behind you, and with what I’m betting you’re going to get from Mike Wyss, I think you’re going to be really, really happy. Here’s wishing that to you and this pup.

GOOD LUCK!

8mmFan
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

I just realized that I have to post pictures to a website to post here, guys. I haven't done that yet.

Here's a link to a page with Fireside Setters's on it though, Chicago. At least the one that Dave and I got our pup's from. I don't know about the other one--I'm sure they're also good.

https://www.voofla.com/US/New-Lisbon/336763829739127/Wyss-Fireside-English-Setters

Have a great week, guys, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of yours!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:54 pm  Reply with quote

8mmfan,

No doubt about it Mike at Wyssfiresidesetters has some beautiful Ryman dogs. Even more important is he actually hunts his dogs on Grouse and test them in the woods before he breeds his females. Great genetics is super important, knowing how the dog handles Grouse is super important to me, and having a good health record that is documented, is just as important.

You picked yourself a fine Ryman pup, make sure you get his hips tested as he grows. I use Penn Hip testing and have all my dogs chipped, I also like to have my dogs Bare hearing tested as they get older. Mike has a good breeding program and has his dogs tested before breeding, so you should not have any real problems.

Unfortunately HD can happen even with the best of testing and breeding, in any breed line. Just something to think about as you take care of your dog. All of my Ryman dogs have lived to be very old, and had no HD, hearing or eye sight problems, and they hunted till almost the end of their lives, and were extremely talented Grouse dogs.

Make sure you spend as much time with your new pup as you can, bonding with a Ryman pup is very important. Get him into the field and forest even as you play train. Use a baby wading pool to introduce him to water and swimming, when he is young. Play train to retrieve on both land and in the water, go slow and be gentle and you will not have any problems. I use a new paint roller with a Grouse wing stuffed inside and duct taped at both ends as a play retrieving tool. Put a little Grouse scent on the roller for the pup to get hooked on the scent right away. Grouse scent is like a drug to a Ryman dog, a little goes a long way, especially with a fresh wing inside the roller.

All the best buddy, and have fun with your new Ryman pup!

Thanks for the nice comments.

Pine Creek/Dave

A good book to invest in for your boys and even for the experienced Grouse hunters.

8mmFan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:11 am  Reply with quote

No doubt about it, we’re excited to bring Pup home.

Regarding hip displaysia, I hear you loud and clear. One of the biggest mistakes that I am THANKFUL to have made in my life, is not paying attention to the issue when I got my old Shorthair, Jake, back in May, 2001. I wanted another Shorthair at the time, and drove down to Gridley, IL from Chicago to pick out a pup from a litter out of two very large German Shorthairs. The sire was absolutely enormous—never forget him. Beautiful shorthair, just huge.

Fast forward 9 months, and we were on the beach at Lake Michigan, running and playing, and my dog gives a little squeak of pain. I didn’t think anything of it, but about two days later, coming down the stairs in my house, he made the same sound.

I knew something had to be wrong. Took him in, got him checked out, and sure enough, I found out everything I didn’t want to know about HD, including that my pup had it BAD, in BOTH hips.

I grew up on the farm back in Idaho and I’m no stranger to putting down animals. As a kid, we’d have just let a dog get along on his own for a while, castrated him, and when he got pretty bad he’d have got “taken up to the pasture.”

But with this dog, it was the first dog that I’d ever had live in my house, sit on the couch with me, sleep in my bed, drink beer and watch football together. We were FAST friends, by this time. Not to mention that my then-girlfriend (today, my wife and mother of my kids) had made the drive to Gridley with me and we’d picked up the pup together. This dog wasn’t getting a bullet in the head, so...

I found Tom Turner at Vet Clinics of America in Berwyn, IL, and Jake got his first hip replaced at about a year old. Cost me $5,500 when it was all said and done. We treated the other hip with Rimadyl until about 2007, and then we did the other one, too—yep, another $5,500. Those hips were worth every single penny to me. Jake lived to be 16 years old. We hunted in Idaho, SoDak, NoDak, and Wisconsin. He was a boon companion, hell of a bird dog, tough as nails, baby sitter to my youngsters, drinking buddy, protector of my wife. I doubt I’ll ever know another like him.

But, YOU CAN BET YOUR LAST DOLLAR that the FIRST thing I asked Mike was if he guarantees his dogs’ hips!! LOL.

Best to you wih your pup as well, and maybe we can hook up some day and compare pups.

8mmFan

P.S. Thanks for the great advice on bringing him along with the kids. And yes, I’ve got Walrod’s book, along with many others that I enjoy. Have a great day!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:45 am  Reply with quote

8mm,

You are definitely heading down the right path, hope to see you in the Grouse woods some time with your Ryman Grouse Dog.

You are a very lucky man to have the boys and the wife that you do, God's speed sir.

Pine Creek/Dave

There is nothing like the magic of a Ryman Grouse Dog!

8mmFan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Now THAT’S a great picture!! Looks like you’ve got it as good on your end as I do on mine. We are indeed blessed many times.

Happy Thanksgiving, Dave!

8mmFan
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

8MM Happy Thanksgiving!

Please drop me some private e-mail at Pine-Creek@live.com I would like to know your real name, it has been a pleasure talking with you.

Pine Creek/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

hayseed
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

8mmFan wrote:
No doubt about it, we’re excited to bring Pup home.

Regarding hip displaysia, I hear you loud and clear. One of the biggest mistakes that I am THANKFUL to have made in my life, is not paying attention to the issue when I got my old Shorthair, Jake, back in May, 2001. I wanted another Shorthair at the time, and drove down to Gridley, IL from Chicago to pick out a pup from a litter out of two very large German Shorthairs. The sire was absolutely enormous—never forget him. Beautiful shorthair, just huge.

Fast forward 9 months, and we were on the beach at Lake Michigan, running and playing, and my dog gives a little squeak of pain. I didn’t think anything of it, but about two days later, coming down the stairs in my house, he made the same sound.

I knew something had to be wrong. Took him in, got him checked out, and sure enough, I found out everything I didn’t want to know about HD, including that my pup had it BAD, in BOTH hips.

I grew up on the farm back in Idaho and I’m no stranger to putting down animals. As a kid, we’d have just let a dog get along on his own for a while, castrated him, and when he got pretty bad he’d have got “taken up to the pasture.”

But with this dog, it was the first dog that I’d ever had live in my house, sit on the couch with me, sleep in my bed, drink beer and watch football together. We were FAST friends, by this time. Not to mention that my then-girlfriend (today, my wife and mother of my kids) had made the drive to Gridley with me and we’d picked up the pup together. This dog wasn’t getting a bullet in the head, so...

I found Tom Turner at Vet Clinics of America in Berwyn, IL, and Jake got his first hip replaced at about a year old. Cost me $5,500 when it was all said and done. We treated the other hip with Rimadyl until about 2007, and then we did the other one, too—yep, another $5,500. Those hips were worth every single penny to me. Jake lived to be 16 years old. We hunted in Idaho, SoDak, NoDak, and Wisconsin. He was a boon companion, hell of a bird dog, tough as nails, baby sitter to my youngsters, drinking buddy, protector of my wife. I doubt I’ll ever know another like him.

But, YOU CAN BET YOUR LAST DOLLAR that the FIRST thing I asked Mike was if he guarantees his dogs’ hips!! LOL.

Best to you wih your pup as well, and maybe we can hook up some day and compare pups.

8mmFan

P.S. Thanks for the great advice on bringing him along with the kids. And yes, I’ve got Walrod’s book, along with many others that I enjoy. Have a great day!

Been there, done that. Said I would never spend that kind of money on a dog. Except ours was a back issue. We had just put our lab down and now our 1 yr old was possibly next. Just couldn’t do it. Money well spent. Would do it all again. We just put her down 2 weeks ago. What a wonderful 15 years she gave us. ( Can’t hardly see to type for the tears).
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

Hayseed, Sorry for your loss. Its so so hard to go through.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed,

Very sorry about your dog, looks like you need a serious Ryman Setter pup from Wyssfiresidesetter to heal your broken heart, and restore happiness to your family!

The Grouse hunting is exceptional having these dogs in your home also, and they are incredibly beautiful animals, with laid back dispositions in the home.

Time for a new pup!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man