16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Going to Step into Reloading for my Garbi 101
GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:52 am  Reply with quote

All,

I'm interested in reloading for my 16 and have never reloaded anything before. With that said, Also, I don't know a lot about primers, wads, shells, powder, and shot. I have been doing some research and my ultimate goal is this:
1) Take my Fiocchi 1oz Low Brass (dark blue hull color) 1165 fps, Game and Target 1 oz load and be able to reload this to a 3/4 or 7/8 oz of 1150-1250. I have 250 of these hulls already from shooting this case or shells. I'm open to ordering more of these and shooting these for additional quantity on hand to reload (also open to other options of hulls as well if better). I'm looking for a correct primer, powder, wads, and do like 7.5 - 8 for shooting sporting clays.

2) Looking at a Lee Loadall II as I don't have a big spot for setup and don't mind the additional time it takes with this reloader. Outside of this, I'm open to place to purchase online possibly that would have all the pieces I need to get started. Moreso, I just want to make sure I get the right hulls, primer, wads, and powder.

Pics of what I have:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/181/rNKGH7.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/6733/NlHgrX.jpg

Much Thanks,

Russ

Last edited by GrizzlyAdams on Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

ole_270
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't loaded those hulls so will only comment on the press. I bought one in 12 ga years ago and fully regretted it. If you can possibly swing it get a Mec Sizemaster, or at least a 600 jr used.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

As ole-270 said, get a MEC 600 Jr. or a MEC Sizemaster. My choice would be the Sizemaster. It is a single stage machine and it comes with a primer feed and a collet resizer. It fits into approximately the same size space as the Lee. Where the Lee is wide the Sizemaster base is rectangular, it will not take up too much room.

Yes you can reload the Fiocchi hulls you have. Before you buy any components, sit down and look at the Hodgdon website. Find the load with the payload and velocity that you want and work from there or ask here and someone can help. Also a big help will be the Lyman 5th Edition Shotshell Manual, it explains a lot of things. You should also purchase a powder scale.

16'er
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22596
Emtymag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Lee load all 2. Just started loading last year. I use it mostly for crimping steel and bismuth shot loads. I have loaded some lead field loads and everything went fine. Don’t expect to make many rounds per hour. I believe fiocchi hulls can only take fiocchi primers. I’ve had my best luck with the sg16 wad from ballistic products. Also it’s hard to beat Hodgdon universal powder.

GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:01 am  Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the information here. I've been to the Hogdons site and put in 16 GA. The drop down list only has 2 Fiocchi shells to choose from, one being Bismuth and the other being Target. This is called a Dove Load. Maybe these are Cheddite hulls? If so, they do have a 2 3/4" Cheddite option.

Russ

MSM2019 wrote:
As ole-270 said, get a MEC 600 Jr. or a MEC Sizemaster. My choice would be the Sizemaster. It is a single stage machine and it comes with a primer feed and a collet resizer. It fits into approximately the same size space as the Lee. Where the Lee is wide the Sizemaster base is rectangular, it will not take up too much room.

Yes you can reload the Fiocchi hulls you have. Before you buy any components, sit down and look at the Hodgdon website. Find the load with the payload and velocity that you want and work from there or ask here and someone can help. Also a big help will be the Lyman 5th Edition Shotshell Manual, it explains a lot of things. You should also purchase a powder scale.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:57 am  Reply with quote

Russ,

The Fiocchi hulls are a little different than the Cheddite hulls. As far as I know the Cheddites have a lower basewad that would possibly require a different wad in the Fiocchi, depending on the load.

However the loads you want to put together would be easiest to build with the DR-16 wad, which is very forgiving and accommodates different hulls very well.

The snag here is the availability of the DR-16. The company had a bit of trouble with their roof being blown off. Not sure when that company will be up and running again.

I could send you a bag of these wads to get you going if you decide that is direction you want to go in.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Get the men. You can't hurt it. In the long run you'll be money ahead.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:01 am  Reply with quote

Yes, skip the Lee loader, it's junk compared to a MEC, and you'll end up with a MEC anyway.
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Grizz, Are you saying the factory ammo you are shooting is labeled as a Dove load?(Or dove & quail?) Someone else here that knows Fiocchis better may correct me, but I'm thinking their hull for dove &quail is the same as their one labeled target.possibly same hull in their Golden pheasant 1 1/8 oz line too. This practice is common with other manufacturers too.
PLUS One on getting a MEC Sizemaster. It has a primer feed which to me is huge. Manually placing a primer in the priming station is tedious and really slows things down. Good luck

GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Hi Savage,

They are a game and target load and have low brass and dark blue hull. It’s 8 shot. See pics below.

Russ

Savage16 wrote:
Grizz, Are you saying the factory ammo you are shooting is labeled as a Dove load?(Or dove & quail?) Someone else here that knows Fiocchis better may correct me, but I'm thinking their hull for dove &quail is the same as their one labeled target.possibly same hull in their Golden pheasant 1 1/8 oz line too. This practice is common with other manufacturers too.
PLUS One on getting a MEC Sizemaster. It has a primer feed which to me is huge. Manually placing a primer in the priming station is tedious and really slows things down. Good luck

Last edited by GrizzlyAdams on Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to shot shell reloading, great questions.

Pile on, ditto on the MEC (gear) SM, have a few of them and they work great. If price point is an issue then if you're only loading a few boxes a week then a 600 will do you fine. Double ditto on finding the load you desire then filling in the blanks regarding components. I'm reasonably certain all the Fio 16ga hulls are the same, IMO, they're nice durable hulls that you should get bunch of reloads with. I'd suggest staying away from any recipe that uses the CB or Rem wads, they will be too small to powder seal well.

GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

This is what I have:

MSM2019 wrote:
Russ,

The Fiocchi hulls are a little different than the Cheddite hulls. As far as I know the Cheddites have a lower basewad that would possibly require a different wad in the Fiocchi, depending on the load.

However the loads you want to put together would be easiest to build with the DR-16 wad, which is very forgiving and accommodates different hulls very well.

The snag here is the availability of the DR-16. The company had a bit of trouble with their roof being blown off. Not sure when that company will be up and running again.

I could send you a bag of these wads to get you going if you decide that is direction you want to go in.

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Posted for Griz

GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:35 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for posting skeettx. I have ImageShack and can't find a way to post these pics without just the link.

skeettx wrote:
Posted for Griz