16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Going to Step into Reloading for my Garbi 101
GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:39 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input on the MEC Sizemaster. It seems to be the consensus here as a favorite. I've tried the Hogdon site for 16 gauge. It only comes up with a 1 1/8 oz load. I'd like to stick to 1 oz for targets. I don't mind buying factory ammo when I step up to pheasant and such. Good to also know these shells reload well!

putz463 wrote:
Welcome to shot shell reloading, great questions.

Pile on, ditto on the MEC (gear) SM, have a few of them and they work great. If price point is an issue then if you're only loading a few boxes a week then a 600 will do you fine. Double ditto on finding the load you desire then filling in the blanks regarding components. I'm reasonably certain all the Fio 16ga hulls are the same, IMO, they're nice durable hulls that you should get bunch of reloads with. I'd suggest staying away from any recipe that uses the CB or Rem wads, they will be too small to powder seal well.

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:54 am  Reply with quote

Have you looked into joining oldhunters yahoo group? He maintains a fantastic library of 16ga recipes. Unfortunately it looks like yahoo will no longer be supporting things like this and will take them down in Dec. I'd suggest joining and downloading the spreadsheets for future reference.

A bunch of Fio recipes to choose from.

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/reloading16gauge/info

GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Hi putz463,

Thanks for the information. I have asked to join this group and appreciate the help here.

Grizz

putz463 wrote:
Have you looked into joining oldhunters yahoo group? He maintains a fantastic library of 16ga recipes. Unfortunately it looks like yahoo will no longer be supporting things like this and will take them down in Dec. I'd suggest joining and downloading the spreadsheets for future reference.

A bunch of Fio recipes to choose from.

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/reloading16gauge/info

GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

16 Gauge
2 3/4-in. Fiocchi Plastic Shells
1 1/8 shot wt.
Fio 616 Primer
SP 16 Wads
20.5 Unique
Velocity 1185
PSI 9900

Good Recipe for my 2 3/4 Fiocchi Hulls? Found on Alliant-Unique website.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Not really Grizz. The SP-16 wad will allow the Unique powder to migrate.

If you handle them gently you might be OK. Any amount of jostling and you will get off sounding loads.

About the only powder that won't sneek past the SP-16 wad in the Fiocchi hulls is 800-X, but even that isn't 100% fool proof.

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:15 am  Reply with quote

You're most welcome, hope it helps the learning curve.

Sorry if known but you mention you're new to this hobby... several wads available for the 16ga are for hulls that have a smaller inside diameter compared to others. The most common are the Rem SP16 and discontinued but still find some R16, Win AA and Cb 100 or 78 they are/were designed for the Rem (Rem Game Load = RGL) and Win Compression Formed hulls that have a smaller inner diameter when compared to modern hulls made by Chedite or built to similar spec which has a larger inside diameter. Your Fio's fall in this category. Fed hulls are much more similar to Cheds than the thinner RGL & WCF.

My GUESS as to why there are many recipes available for what I consider mismatched wad/powder is that when created they used wads most commonly available at that time. Thankfully there are a bunch more to choose from today.

Also, some powders are bigger flake or bulkier than others that are smaller grained and if you have a smaller grained powder with a wad that doesn't seal the powder charge well enough then you'll possibly get migration past the seal at the bottom of the wad (obturatiing cup) and that equates to a loss in power and messes everything up.

Take a look at this study on current 16ga wads compiled by another knowledgeable member of this forum https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/16-ga-wads/

I strongly agree with following the suggestion of getting a Lymans reloading "bible" I have the 5th not sure if there is a more current edition. Tough to beat as a toe in the water arms length reference for this hobby.

Sorry for all the words, you mention new to the hobby so there ya go, a lot to learn and a lot of reloading experience hanging around this site, keep the questions coming.

GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:48 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for the input here Mark.

Russ "Grizz"

MSM2019 wrote:
Not really Grizz. The SP-16 wad will allow the Unique powder to migrate.

If you handle them gently you might be OK. Any amount of jostling and you will get off sounding loads.

About the only powder that won't sneek past the SP-16 wad in the Fiocchi hulls is 800-X, but even that isn't 100% fool proof.

GrizzlyAdams
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks putz463. Great information provided. I'll look at Lyman's and order the most recent edition. And yes, I'm brand new to reloading.

Thanks,

Russ "Grizz"

putz463 wrote:
You're most welcome, hope it helps the learning curve.

Sorry if known but you mention you're new to this hobby... several wads available for the 16ga are for hulls that have a smaller inside diameter compared to others. The most common are the Rem SP16 and discontinued but still find some R16, Win AA and Cb 100 or 78 they are/were designed for the Rem (Rem Game Load = RGL) and Win Compression Formed hulls that have a smaller inner diameter when compared to modern hulls made by Chedite or built to similar spec which has a larger inside diameter. Your Fio's fall in this category. Fed hulls are much more similar to Cheds than the thinner RGL & WCF.

My GUESS as to why there are many recipes available for what I consider mismatched wad/powder is that when created they used wads most commonly available at that time. Thankfully there are a bunch more to choose from today.

Also, some powders are bigger flake or bulkier than others that are smaller grained and if you have a smaller grained powder with a wad that doesn't seal the powder charge well enough then you'll possibly get migration past the seal at the bottom of the wad (obturatiing cup) and that equates to a loss in power and messes everything up.

Take a look at this study on current 16ga wads compiled by another knowledgeable member of this forum https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/16-ga-wads/

I strongly agree with following the suggestion of getting a Lymans reloading "bible" I have the 5th not sure if there is a more current edition. Tough to beat as a toe in the water arms length reference for this hobby.

Sorry for all the words, you mention new to the hobby so there ya go, a lot to learn and a lot of reloading experience hanging around this site, keep the questions coming.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:39 am  Reply with quote

there's a lot of possibilities when it comes to loading !! My old Lyman 2 mostly uses rem sp's . Many many successful shots taken with these ... however , what Mark is correctly alluding to is the potential for trouble ! You may shoot a thousand targets and they are flawless . The next registered shoot may be fraught with bad loads . The potential was/is there . Bites you at the wrong time ... 1st trip to Standing Rock , had a load jump right up out of now where and was bloopers ville . Fortunately , had a 2nd option with me and things went better . 3 miles from the car is a bad time for stuff to happen . Or a shoot off for a club championship . Stick with SG's for chedds !!