16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington Sportsman Skeet
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

There's a model 11 Sportman Skeet on Gunbroker,Two barrels (solid ribs) skeet and full. This gun deserves to be rescued by a 16 gauge fan. If I could shoot the darn things it would be mine. Item number 841909907. Two days left.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/841909907

Researcher
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

That one does need a lot of "saving." The receiver with serial number 207733 was put in work in the January/February 1936 time frame. It is not a "Sportsman" Skeet Gun. It is a 16-gauge "Sportsman" with an extra Skeet barrel, Just the same as my 20-gauge "Sportsman".

A true "Sportsman" Skeet Gun would have a middle bead on the rib, a fatter forearm and a grip cap.

The Full choke barrel has the later style roll stamping which includes the chamber length which they started using after 1938. The pictures are just a bit too blurry to read the date codes on either barrel, but I do believe they both have a 3 after them which would indicate a repair at Ilion, which leads me to suspect that both of those barrels were added to the gun.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Polite way to say it-----I'm thinking more in the $350 price range
PheasantHunter16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
Polite way to say it-----I'm thinking more in the $350 price range

I'd agree shooter, $350 max bid and if you could stomach shipping and transfer that'd be up to you. I bought one of these last year. I'd say overall in better shape than this one and I believe "all-in" I paid $420.

Hey researcher, without casting the chamber do you know if all these sportsman came 2-3/4" chambers?? I've heard a lot of conflicting info and haven't even shot mine yet because of it.

Whippet HSB&CO
Winchester 1897
Remington Model 11 Sportsman
DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:12 am  Reply with quote

PheasantHunter16 wrote:

Hey researcher, without casting the chamber do you know if all these sportsman came 2-3/4" chambers?? I've heard a lot of conflicting info and haven't even shot mine yet because of it.

The advertisement says 2-3/4" chambers. Yours should say on the barrel.
Researcher
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

The Remington Autoloading Shotgun, later Model 11, was made for 2 3/4 inch 12-gauge shells from its introduction in 1905. When the 20-gauge Model 11 was introduced in 1930, it was also made for 2 3/4 inch shells, as was the three-shot version the "Sportsman" also introduced in 1930. Same thing in 1931 when Remington introduced the 16-gauge Model 11 and the "Sportsman" both for 2 3/4 inch shells. While Remington's progressive burning powder, high velocity, loads, NITRO EXPRESS, had been put up in 2 3/4 inch shells from their introduction in the mid-1920s, in 12- and 20-gauge, the 16-gauge NITRO EXPRESS was put up in a 2 9/16 inch shell. With the introduction of the Model 11 and "Sportsman" in 16-gauge made for 2 3/4 inch shells, they added a new 16-gauge 2 3/4 inch shell called the AUTO EXPRESS, which carried a 3 1/4 dram equiv. 1 1/8 ounce load while the 2 9/16 inch NITRO EXPRESS carried a 3 dram equiv. 1 1/8 ounce load.

The SAAMI meeting where it was suggested that our manufacturers start marking the chamber length on their guns was in 1937. Remington didn't seem to really start doing this until 1939/40.

1935 "Sportsman" --

1945 "Sportsman" --

PheasantHunter16
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for the info! Can't wait to get her out. Anyone have any leads on recoil spring kit? Found one kit from a company named midwest arms I believe but they are back ordered. Would like to have a spare kit around just in case.

Whippet HSB&CO
Winchester 1897
Remington Model 11 Sportsman
tdnathens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:59 am  Reply with quote

(PheasantHunter16) The cheapest and fasted way to obtain springs is to purchase them direct from Browning. Order the 16ga A5 recoil spring. The action spring is the same for all gauges. Be sure to replace it also. Browning has parts breakdown and price list on line. Their prices are lower than I can find anywhere. Just look up the correct part numbers and give their parts department a call. They take credit cards. I usually receive my orders within a week.
Tom
Flues16
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:29 am  Reply with quote

I called Browning earlier this year and was told they no longer have springs and other parts for the old A5s. I was able to find what I needed on Ebay from an independent seller. Rumor has it that Browning sold all their leftover A5 parts to Art's Gun Shop.

tdnathens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Browning may have sold their A5 parts. The last A5 parts I received from Browning was in March of this year. I didn't ask for A5 parts, I just ordered the correct part numbers. I just checked Art's web site. It shows most of the 16ga A5 parts were first listed in May of this year. They may have purchased all of Browning's parts. Art's prices are much higher than Browning but lower than Midwest. Art's shows all the popular 16ga A5 parts in stock. It may be the best place at the present time to obtain the springs needed for Remington Model 11's.
Tom
bobski
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

just a quick reminder that im selling off my 3 REAL sportsman skeet guns in all 3 gauges. they aint gonna be a steal, but if anyone wants to poke at them, no need to go to gunbroken..com to see them. just ask a fellow 16ga member for pics. they need a good home. you guys get dibbs. Wink

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:41 am  Reply with quote

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmNvSvJqj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pofKZ3fwj] [/URL]

Here's my very early 16 ga. Model 11. The very first guns were evidently made on a slimmer frame as mine is 0.1" slimmer top to bottom and side to side compared to the later guns. (You can visually see the difference.) I bought it from a friend in Maine for $185 and gave it a light refurb about 20 years ago. It's quite the pheasant gun, and has taken an incidental hun, ruffed grouse, rabbits, and I've been amassing a good stash of the new bismuth loads for more work on ducks. It really swings well on early woodies.

The gun is as easy pointing as a double because all that weight is right smack between the hands.

In a world of fancier Auto-5's I found this gun to be a nice surprise!
hayseed
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmNvSvJqj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pofKZ3fwj] [/URL]

Here's my very early 16 ga. Model 11. The very first guns were evidently made on a slimmer frame as mine is 0.1" slimmer top to bottom and side to side compared to the later guns. (You can visually see the difference.) I bought it from a friend in Maine for $185 and gave it a light refurb about 20 years ago. It's quite the pheasant gun, and has taken an incidental hun, ruffed grouse, rabbits, and I've been amassing a good stash of the new bismuth loads for more work on ducks. It really swings well on early woodies.

The gun is as easy pointing as a double because all that weight is right smack between the hands.

In a world of fancier Auto-5's I found this gun to be a nice surprise!

Very nice looking shotgun.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:52 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Hayseed.

I've tried to go fancier with a couple original SW16s, and I've tried to go lighter with the new A5 SW16, and none of them could be shot as well as this old Rem. 11. Sometimes the answer is right before your eyes.