16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  South Dakota returning
T-Bird
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Just got back from South Dakota near ChamberlainI was hunting with Allen's outfitters on private land with dogs, needless to say we limited every day. Guide was fascinated by the fact that I was shooting 16 ga. Even wanted to hold it after he saw what I did with it that day. He said "boy that sure comes to the shoulder nice!" I was shooting my Citori Superlight english shock. I saw a guy in the parking lot as we were leaving one morning that had a beautiful SXS I approached him and he had a specialty grade Elsie in 16 ga that a friend had loaned him. It had been restocked with high grade wood and was gorgeous! I offered him 400$ on the spot Very Happy he politely declined Smile I wasn't offended. never saw him again to see how he did with it.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:26 am  Reply with quote

Hunted with them again the first week. Used my 16's again as well. Made some very long shots with my A5
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:08 am  Reply with quote

T-bird sent you a PM
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:41 am  Reply with quote

I didn't get it Soggy
sneem
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Returned from SD last week. Used my 1919 16 ga Fox Sterlingworth for a couple of days. Dropped them as always. There was something special hunting roosters with a 100 year old gun.

df
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Were you hunting all wild birds, or do they supplement with caged birds?
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:05 am  Reply with quote

If these birds were ever caged, I couldn't tell it. I've hunted ditches in the central part of the state several times and they flew just like those birds did. Their plumage is also pristine, unlike the caged birds we shot on a"continental" shoot I went on before I knew better. This man has 5000 acres under lease he said. The farmers plant for the birds and leave the plots standing in winter for food and cover. My take is they just manage the land for pheasant habitat in addition to farming it. And it's not being hunted by every hunter that wants to walk it. There are pheasant farms in the state and I've been told that the Hutterites (sp?) raise and release them but I I don't know when, or where, or how many. That may of may not be true.
Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Location: The Great Rustbelt, otherwise known as Northeastern Ohio

Nothing like using the weapon for what it was designed for. 16 bore is the premier gun to hunt upland game in this country. As long as you don't try to shoot past 45 yards, you are golden. After that you are laughed at for your misses.

I take my glasses off when I go hunting. That limits me to 45 meters/yards. Pistol, rifle, and shotgun.

45 yards is the sweet spot of the 16 bore. I have not yet had a quarry that escaped from the 16 at that range.

16 is my new go-to gun for upland game at that range. If it goes further, it deserved to live. Same belief as hunting with a double barrel.

I have pumps and autos, and I very rarely pull them out of the cabinet.

It is not about the killing, but about the hunt in itself. The dog in the field coursing a line. The point and how well they hold it. The time to look in the grass and maybe see the bird huddled in the green. The flush as the dog freezes and time slows down as you push your gaze down along the rib. The instances of watching as you sweep the barrels along the path of the bird and just get a little in front of it and squeeze the trigger.

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Fox Sterlingworth 16 Bore
Franchi Falconet O/U 12 Bore
2 Antonio Zoli Field Grade 12 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

NG,

Nicely said, maybe we will bump into each other in the woods some day.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers