16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  11/8 oz loads in Fiocchi hulls.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Alright, I said I wasn't gonna do this. I really like 11/8 oz Golden Pheasant #5 loads for Roosters. I said that I would just buy the 2-3 boxes I need yearly. I realized that I have all the components that I need to load a pretty decent 11/8 oz load. Maybe not 1310 fps, but pretty good. I have new, empty Fiocchi hulls, Z16 wads,a 10# bag of nickle plated #5,and Herco. I found a load in my old Lyman #3 shotshell reloading book that calls for about 20 gr Herco, with 11/8 oz shot in Federal hull with federal primer, don't remember the wad for about 1240 fps I think. I'm thinking something in this neighborhood might be reachable with my components. Anyone using a load that you like using these, or similar components that you would be willing to share? I was thinking of loading some up with 20 gr Herco and sending them for testing if no one has any info.
df
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:54 am  Reply with quote

I did load some fast 1 1/8 ounce loads of nickel #5 few years ago. Don’t recall the entire load data, but I used a Longshot powder.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Alliant has data on Herco for 1 1/8 oz. loads on their website.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/

T-Bird
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, just looked at the Alliant site. Fiocchi hulls but sp16 wads. how would the wad change to Z16 affect pressure. It seems like a good fit for the hull. Don't have Sp16 wads I don't think
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Will wonders never cease! I do Have SP16 wads. They are however smaller in dia than the Z16, which also fit loosely in the Fiocchi hull. I placed powder in the hull, put an SP16 wad in, held it in place with my finger and shook the shell (to mimic pocket carrying) and got some powder migration in spite of the course texture of Herco. Got none with the same treatment and a Z16 wad. Gonna try 22.5 gr Herco (1grain less than max with an SP16 wad) and a Z16. Guess if they pattern well, velocity is suitable, I'll send some to Mr Armbrust to test. Sound reasonable. Do y'all think my powder migration test was valid? Don't know why the SP 16 is the only wad listed for a straight walled hull.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

22.5 gr Herco, Z16 wad 1220 fps on my chrono. Same charge with Sp16 was 1200ish fps.That's close to what Alliant said, I'm just worried about powder migration. Shot one Z16 for pattern it seemed ok, my pattern board was a sheet of newspaper, looked ok, patterned high, which is what my gun does.
oldog
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:09 am  Reply with quote

Hodgdon has loads using Long Shot powder.
Win primer, 25 grns powder, Z-16 wad, 1 1/8 oz shot,
1350 fps, 9500 psi, Fiocchi hull

This is the only hunting load I load any more,

then, by just changing to a 1oz drop and the SG-16 you have a 1350 dove load

T-Bird
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

I've got a lb of Herco that I need to use. For the phez that I hunt in front of dogs, (once a year- we don't have phez in Ala) I don't really need a fast load. I'm shooting Fiocchi golden pheasant 11/8 #5 and hammering them. I have the components to load a 1200ish fps load that I think would do as well... maybe I'm wrong.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

I patterned the load today with the 1200 fps Sp16 wad looked pretty good to me. I was at 39 paces ( prob about 35 yds, I'm short)Looking at a pattern with #5 is a lot different than looking at a #8 pattern. Had a few holes near the edges, but the center was pretty strong. Gonna load 1 box for next year will buy 1 more factory box loads for backup.
Pointy Lab
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve been using a Fiocchi hull, Fio 616, Z-16, 1 1/8 nickle plated 5/5.5/7, with 25-26 gr (need to check) of Longshot, and an overshot card. They have been hammering pheasants on public land in CO/KS. Recently patterned at 25 yds with IC and 35 yds with mod. I was happy with the results- usually don’t get a chance to shoot the second barrel too often, its really been stoning them. Shooting them in a Franchi Instinct SL and a buddy shooting a sweet 16 has had similar success. I load this a bit lighter with 24 gr and a spreader insert for my quail load.

If I can figure out how to post photos...I’ll upload the pattern pics. [/img]
Pointy Lab
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve been using a Fiocchi hull, Fio 616, Z-16, 1 1/8 nickle plated 5/5.5/7, with 25-26 gr (need to check) of Longshot, and an overshot card. They have been hammering pheasants on public land in CO/KS. Recently patterned at 25 yds with IC and 35 yds with mod. I was happy with the results- usually don’t get a chance to shoot the second barrel too often, its really been stoning them. Shooting them in a Franchi Instinct SL and a buddy shooting a sweet 16 has had similar success. I load this a bit lighter with 24 gr and a spreader insert for my quail load.

If I can figure out how to post photos...I’ll upload the pattern pics.
Pointy Lab
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

Pointy Lab
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

Pointy Lab
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

df
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Studder much Very Happy