16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  U.P. grouse and woodcock hunt
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

A good friend of mine is a retired wildlife biologist who spent his career in the northern woods and he has assured me that it is a proven biological fact that the ruffed grouse becomes faster and more elusive on the wing every year and this has been the case since I turned maybe 65 or 68. In addition, a recent study has conclusively established that they have become about 50% more quiet when they flush. They have made these evolutionary changes to avoid my deadly aim and now they are no longer of great danger when I wander aimlessly through my beloved woods in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

The last couple of years we have experienced a great deal of rain and overcast gray days. We had a few bluebird days and those were the days we moved a fair number of birds. My dad always told me grouse hunting was a young mans game and I am not sure how to define “young” but when it comes to grouse hunting I don’t think I any longer qualify.

My grandkids are here for a visit so for the first time in close to 30 years I missed the Illinois pheasant opener yesterday. I meet a friend at his farm on Tuesday and hopefully the fact there is nothing but blue sky around a pheasant will improve my odds.

I did manage a few photos this fall.

The annual shot along a favorite river and we have not been able to fjord the river for several years because of high water. The road out is at center right.
[img][/img]

The road to a favorite haunt

I included this pic because it shows the tamarack in late October and I just couldn’t capture the sun playing off these beautiful trees. This is a covert that runs along the edge of a gravel pit and it usually produces a few birds.

Birch with my sons and me after we managed a couple of woodcock. It was a very strange day and the pups were running over the woodcock and I got reports from friends that were out the same day that had the same experience.
[url=https://imgur.com/aXK4Qeq] [/url]

Birch with me after a hunt at a great covert. We moved birds and I never took a shot and I think I saw one of the birds. They were down in the balsam early this year and it made getting a shot off very difficult.

This is the last grouse I took with Drummer and I had to put him down this fall and it put a damper on the season and it broke my heart. He was one of the finest grouse dogs I have ever owned and he was my 10th bird dog.

I will add a pup (#12) this Spring and it may be the end of training puppies. I have come to realize I am in the twilight of my hunting career and it has been a good run, but I still wish for more.

Good Hunting,
Mike
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

AWESOME!
You go guy Smile
Mike

Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

Very sorry about Drummer. If he got to roam the country in the pictures with you and your sons, you gave him a great life!

Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:43 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. I also see most of my hunting days in the "rearview mirror" and it makes each day afield now even more special.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
gunsrus
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Drummer was a handsome dog . You have my condolences .
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Great report with amazing photos, special times spent with your sons, hard to beat that , keep it up WJ
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 am  Reply with quote

Mike,

Great report and pictures, forget the old stuff, hunt and enjoy dogs as along as you feel up to it. I am older than you, just had open heart surgery and have a new Gordon Grouse Dog pup, that I am working with.

I know how you must feel about Drummer, lost my Ryman Daisy and my Gordon Penny both in the last year, get yourself another pup and have fun with it, life is what you make it.

Love the Yooper hat, I have a similar Woolrich hunting hat, made here in Pa. If you bump into Tracey Lieski in the UP tell him I said Hello form Pa.

Wanted to make a UP trip this season, the heart surgery got in the way however.

All the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Greek Grouse Dog Trainers

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind thoughts and yes I am looking forward. Tomorrow brings a new season and Birch is ready to carry the load for a couple of years until his new running mate comes along.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Emtymag
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Great pictures and stories Mike. Even at 34 years old I cherish the small details of a hunt more and more, the smells, sights, stories, meals and laughter.

Good luck in your future endeavors!

dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:50 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago,

I began my hunting life in the UP woods....and for many many many years, I never even considered hunting down state...that has definitely changed...however, there is nothing like the "great north woods".

I hunted through Republic Township in Marquette County. Very rugged and quiet forest there.

Where are those pictures from? They look suspiciously like the Mighty Michigamme.

T-Bird
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Gorgeous scenery and dogs.
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
Chicago,

I began my hunting life in the UP woods....and for many many many years, I never even considered hunting down state...that has definitely changed...however, there is nothing like the "great north woods".

I hunted through Republic Township in Marquette County. Very rugged and quiet forest there.

Where are those pictures from? They look suspiciously like the Mighty Michigamme.

The pictures were taken in both the Escanaba and Copper Country State Forests with one of the photos close to the Hiawatha. That is not the Michigamme, but I certainly see the resemblance.

We got our limit on roosters today and Birch did a fine job. He also managed to come up lame. Life with one dog is challenging.

Birch with his first rooster of 2019
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:14 am  Reply with quote

EmtyMag,

Good grief I forget how young some of you guys are! Thanks much for your interest in Grouse hunting, we need more men in your age group. Please become an RGS Grouse hunting mentor.

It just crossed my mind that I have been Grouse hunting and Training Grouse Dogs almost twice as long as you have been alive. If you ever want to see how we mentor new Grouse hunters drop me an e-mail at Pine-Creek@live.com and come Grouse hunt with our Grouse Camp men, here at the Pine Creek Potter/Tioga Grouse Camp, here in Pa.

all the best

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

A worth while book of facts about Grouse hunting for every Grouse hunter, especially the younger generations. I highly recommend this book to every Grouse hunter we mentor. Dennis Walrod has compiled some great facts about Grouse hunting in his Grouse Hunter's Guide book. One great learning experience on the subject of Grouse hunting.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Great pics of the cover and dogs. Sorry for your loss but what a life your dog Drummer must have had had. Here is a pic from today's afternoon hunt. Shot three birds but could only find two although we looked and looked. Don't know who lost more blood me, Cooper or the woodcock

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/58293_600x400/] [/URL]
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Soggy Socks, and it looks like you had a great day. Nice looking shorthair and it sounds like she did her job.

Good Hunting,
Mike