16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 oz. low-pressure 16 ga. needed
robt. harris
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Good morning, fellas,

I've shot 16's for a good number of years, handloading for everything from 7/8th oz. on down. When hunting where 1 oz. or more was needed, I usually resorted to factory shells or my handloads that were likely over 8K PSI.

But I've a friend who is about to begin loading for 16 ga. @ one ounce and is needing a low-pressure load as it will be used in an old Parker with MWT of .026" for pass-shooting late season doves. From looking at the various powder company data, and recognizing that some of the best IMR powders are now on the skids - e.g. PB, 7625, 4756, it strikes me that such powders in the burn range of Longshot, Green Dot, American Select, etc. might offer some hope for a load pressure of 8K or less.

If anyone here would be willing to share a 1 oz. load or two that have been Armbrust tested or somewhere else trustworthy, it would be very appreciated and get him off to a good start. I'll also get him plugged in here to the low-pressure group you've established, and of which I'm not a member yet.

'Thanks' in advance to anyone who might offer their help.

Rob Harris
old colonel
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

What components? Hull, wad, etc

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:44 am  Reply with quote

Also what hull length ?
robt. harris
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry for not providing enough info:

Let's assume a straight-walled hull like the purple Federal Game Load 2-3/4" length, w/paper base wad. Other straight-walled hulls could suffice if volume for volume. We have some Gualandi 'Z' wads on-hand which would be nice to use up if possible.

Otherwise, the only given is that this individual would like it to be somewhere near or south of 8,000K with a velocity of 1,150-1,200 fps. at the muzzle. As I mentioned in my first post, such powders as Green Dot, Amer. Select, Longshot, Unique, among a few others might provide the solution he is looking for.

Again, any sharing of a load fitting these parameters would be of much help until such time we get him signed up with the low-pressure group.

'Thanks'

Rob
robt. harris
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

Our 'Thanks' to Old Colonel' for supplying the data we were looking for.........

With appreciation,

Rob Harris