16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shooting Times magazine
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Three page article about the 16gauge in 30th October issue of Shooting Times by Diggory Hadoke of Vintage Guns fame , Diggory is a big fan of the 16gauge and I have my suspicions a follower of 16ga.com , not sure how to set up a link but you can view his article on line on www.shootinguk.co.uk its well worth a read , hope you enjoy WJ. I see the link worked scroll down to The revival of 16 bore
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 am  Reply with quote

WJ,

Thanks much for posting the article, I signed up and read the complete article and I agree with his assessment of the 16. Long ago I tried to tell Mike M he would not see the 16 fade away as he believed it would.

I own more than a few fantastic L.C. Smith 16 gauge double guns, I like them better than any other gauge guns for my Grouse hunting. IMO the author was correct in his assessment of how the gun feels as it mounts and swings, and further how it acts while hunting. Further I love the way the 16 guns put down Grouse and Woodcock with the new SpredR loads.

Mike was actually wrong, the 16 gauge has never really faded away, especially in the Grouse woods.

Just picked up another 16 gauge Hammer Gun myself.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

IMO 16 gauge guns will never go out of style in the Grouse woods, especially 16 gauge L.C. Smith Hammer Guns.

And there are the great side lock 16 gauge German made Best Grouse Guns also, built on 20 gauge frames, they are just incredible to carry all day long in the Grouse woods.

J.P. Sauer knew how to build 16 gauge Grouse Guns even in the 1880's, we pass our 16 gauge fine double guns down from generation to generation in our family.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Square Load
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

Great article! Smile

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
T-Bird
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Loved the article
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks so much for posting. How goes the hunting in Ireland this year?

Good Hunting,
Mike
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Really glad you guys enjoyed the article , I just realized if you use the search bit on shooting UK and search 16 bore it brings up some other articles that have been in there magazines , one is a test of the AYA no2 in 16 and I know a few guys shoot them on here ,
Chicago our season is just getting underway here I have been out a couple of wee hunts around the outskirts of our forest but we have not shot in where the birds are yet , we put out 350 Pheasant and the guys have been working there dogs on them and they are getting into good shape ,
we are planning a run out this Saturday my son is coming home from the city to go out with me so looking forward to having a shot with him , All the best WJ.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

This is a fun article, too. https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/12-bore-vs-16-bore-shotguns-80276
Sadly, the 12 ga advocate seems to be ignorant of the fact our shells are purple, just like the flashes in clothing of 16 ga users he castigates. But I do have foolish facial hair.....

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:02 am  Reply with quote

WJ, I just read and enjoyed Dig's article greatly. He's got it right. I just had the most amazing shooting experience in a windy South Dakota with my 16 gauge I. Rizinni double shooting 1 1/16 oz. B&P loads. Been going many years, and never shot better out there, and I have always used my 12 gauge 1 1/4 oz on that trip, saving my 16's for local birds. Not any more! It's a 30" gun, and I indeed have a 30" 16 ga. AyA #2 on deck. The AyA needs an up-bend to fit like the deadly Rizinni, but I expect it to shoot just as well once the adjustments are made.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson,

AYA #2 gun, very nice choice sir enjoy!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith pre 13, 16 gauge gun, the AYA #2 Gun is almost as nice.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:36 am  Reply with quote

Dave it was a fun article and I just noticed my favourite hunting cap is a Donegal tweed flat cap and it has a purple check in it and I also have the facial hair ,
and Dave Erickson I was thinking of you when I mentioned the AYA no2 article I heard you mention it in a post , one of my hunting partners has a no2 in 12GA and one day after we came out of a piece of cover he noticed one of his detachable sidelocks had fallen off his gun , we back tracked and luckily he found it which was like a needle in a hay stack situation , so just be warned I never thought that would happen but it did.
Pine Creek its always good to see your fine guns and hopefully it wont be too long before your in the woods with them again.
Good to hear from all the Daves , all the best WJ.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:20 am  Reply with quote

WJ, what luck in finding that sideplate! I took another pheasant with my Rizinni yesterday. It was the only shot I had all day and not an easy one, but the gun seems to have radar.

Thanks for the kind words, PCD.