PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:01 am  Reply with quote

Great in the hunt.
Wow on the FIRE, they
sure do alter plans.
Pleased you are safe
Mike

ole_270
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Keep up the good work getting out as you age. I'm 20 years younger, consider myself to be in decent shape(work out regularly at the gym) and pretty sore this morning. Our group hunted the opener in west central Ks, all walk-in plots. We were sitting on the field edge 30 minutes before light, and hunted till just before dusk. 6 of us saw a total of 4 roosters, maybe a dozen hens and a couple covey of quail. I was the only "seasoned" hunter, most were in their 30s-40s along with my 12 year old Grandson. Those "boys" put a whuppin on me. Some of the CRP was head high and really thick. My workouts don't include raising your knee nearly waist high and forcing the foot forward through tangled weeds and grass.
I don't get to carry anything close to the "wee jeff", but my Dickinson SxS 16 spoke twice over two days and tumbled two roosters. Can't wait to get back out after them again.
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

Good on ya! We had snow last night, and 10 degrees this morning...Sun is out now...I'll hit em again tomorrow..We seem to have LOTS of birds....Access for non locals is pretty skinny...Fires drove away most the opening weekend hunters...I will focus on corners around Corn circles where the corn is off...Stay well...I still have a couple of horses, tried to shoot off my mare ONCE, that did not turn out well Rolling Eyes
ole_270
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Not many horses would take someone shooting off them. I sold my mule a few years ago, really miss him, but not much in the way of trails around here these days and getting out to the mountains with him was getting expensive.
67galaxie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

Amen! Probably the best thread yet! If only Buckingham shot a 16
last dollar
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Just getting ready to go look for a few roosters...lil snow on ground...bright sunny day....Minder has been alerted...One more horse comment... I have had that mare over 20 years....Right now, she is trying to founder...She is in the care of a CU vet over in Boulder. Concensus is that she will have to be put down soon.....Another thing I don't want to do..