16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Browning 525 - Firing Pin
kennedy756
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:55 am  Reply with quote

glad to see this thread, here is what I think is happening: I have a citori lightening made in 2003, I only shoot trap, so a lot of rounds have gone thru it, I only shoot my reloads of rem game load hulls, win primers, and universal powder, I have only had 1 ftf. I use a mec 650 press and have always worried it was not setting the primers deep enough, maybe that is a good thing because what I think is happening is a combination of crud build up, deep seated primers or hard primers. Now the reason I think I am having good luck is Universal is a very clean powder in my loads, I can shoot 100 rds and the barrel has no residue, plus my shallow primers is keeping the bottom barrel working. I have since switched to the upper barrel, I installed an IM choke and like it a lot better then the mod choke I was using in the bottom barrel. Going to start shooting trap again in January hopefully no ftf`s

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:29 am  Reply with quote

I've had my 525 32" about 5 years now and shoot alot of trap sometimes 3 times a week. Had several thousand rounds thru it. Never had the fist ftf all the time I've had it. What I do couple times a year is I take the receiver only and clean it in a sonic tank I acquired several years ago. For a cleaner I use a citrus displaying liquid in my tank . The tank holds 3 gal. of water. Heated to 160 degrees. About 1/3 cup of liquid. Put the receiver in the tank suspended without the receiver touching nothing except hanger wires holding the receiver. Don't take the receiver apart. NO need to in sonic clean. Just have the receiver tilted at one end lower. Then turn it around half way thru the cleaning.
When your done cleaning have your hot water faucet running as hot as possible and holding on to the wires on feciever quickly put it under the hot water running in the faucet. Rinse well. Take air hose and blow out well to make sure it's dry. Let receiver hang in air for 10 min or so the take hornady and spay inside well to work the oil in all little areas. Do not use WD40. That's good stuff in emergency but will not keep the inside protected from rust over shot period of time.

This is the procedure I use and have never had the ftf with either barrel.