16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  pheasant loads
Deadeye8
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:06 am  Reply with quote

I had my Model 12 out Saturday on a pheasant hunt I was using the Blue box Federals with #6 shot and with the weather conditions some of the flushes were long. Maybe my 12 Ga would have been a better choice but I was anxious to use my new toy. 4"s or ?????? The gun has a Poly Choke so choke isn't an issue...

I usually shoot 5"S in my 12 gauge but you have less shot to work with a little help???

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:51 am  Reply with quote

Guns and patterns aside , I find when I point closer to the target , I have plenty of gun .

Best regards Nick
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Deadeye:
Some friends and I recently returned from a pheasant hunting trip to NW Iowa and were fortunate enough to get our share of birds. I used my 16's and the most effective load for me was the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant; consisting of 1 1/8 oz. of #5 shot at 1310 fps. As I recall they cost about $17/box. They can be tough to find, and if you can't locate those, the Remington yellow & green box "express" 1 1/8 oz. loads of #5 or #6 are functional too, at somewhere around $14.00/box..

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief,

If he has a problem purchasing the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant shells he can always get them thru Lion Country Supply, I use the #5 also. Order a case and get free shipping right to your door. I have mine shipped to the back woods of Potter County, Pa each year.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

Good to know, Dave

Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

You didn't say which load you used; both the 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz are in blue boxes.Federal also offers the stiffest 1 1/8 oz load I know of , their premium Pheasants forever load still 1 /18 oz but at 1425fps and copper plated shot. I think they come in 4,5,and 6's.

John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

This is not rocket surgery.

Any 20, 16 or 12 gauge shotgun with an improved cylinder or modified choke using an ounce or more of 4, 5, or 6 lead shot at a muzzle velocity of 1200 or more fps will kill any well pointed pheasant that is in range (<40 yards) when the gun goes off.

If you want or need to use nontoxic shot use 4, 5, or 6 bismuth, or 2, 3, 4 steel.

If you shoot at pheasants at ranges greater than 40 yards, expect to miss many and expect it to be difficult to recover birds that are hit but not killed.

Deadeye8
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
You didn't say which load you used; both the 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz are in blue boxes.Federal also offers the stiffest 1 1/8 oz load I know of , their premium Pheasants forever load still 1 /18 oz but at 1425fps and copper plated shot. I think they come in 4,5,and 6's.

it was the 1-1/8 load of 6' s the Blue box not there Premium stuff... I picked up some Fiochi #5 and a box of the Federal Premiums in #5 to try next time...

Deadeye8
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:

Any 20, 16 or 12 gauge shotgun with an improved cylinder or modified choke using an ounce or more of 4, 5, or 6 lead shot at a muzzle velocity of 1200 or more fps will kill any well pointed pheasant that is in range (<40 yards) when the gun goes off.

If you want or need to use nontoxic shot use 4, 5, or 6 bismuth, or 2, 3, 4 steel.

If you shoot at pheasants at ranges greater than 40 yards, expect to miss many and expect it to be difficult to recover birds that are hit but not killed.

Thanks for your help " Rocket Surgeon" I have a lab with the conditions we had some runners.. I have used the Blue Box in my 12 gauge with 5's but 5's in 16 are hard to find for me in 16 ga without buying premium ammo...I'm also new to the gauge trying to learn...

Purple16
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 am  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:

Sound advise.

I shoot(RST, Gamebore, Holland & Holland and my low pressure 16ga reloads) 1oz of 5's or 6's going 1200fps. Almost all my shots are 40yds or less. I kill 85-90% of the birds I shoot at. Hit them solid or in the front half you will have them in the bag provided you have a good retriever with you.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
John Singer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:39 am  Reply with quote

Purple16 wrote:

I shoot(RST, Gamebore, Holland & Holland and my low pressure 16ga reloads) 1oz of 5's or 6's going 1200fps. Almost all my shots are 40yds or less. I kill 85-90% of the birds I shoot at. Hit them solid or in the front half you will have them in the bag provided you have a good retriever with you.

It is always better to shoot a pheasant at the end where the corn goes in than the end where the corn comes out.

On a serious note, I contend that many hit and lost pheasants are shot through one wing. Being that we evolved as predators, our eyes naturally focus on the fastest moving objects in our field of vision. Your gun should go to where your eyes focus. With a flushing pheasant, that would be the wings. It takes some experience to focus on the bird's head and ignore the wings.

John Singer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Deadeye8 wrote:
John Singer wrote:

Thanks for your help " Rocket Surgeon" I have a lab with the conditions we had some runners.. I have used the Blue Box in my 12 gauge with 5's but 5's in 16 are hard to find for me in 16 ga without buying premium ammo...I'm also new to the gauge trying to learn...

I am sorry, my snark was not intended to offend you. It was intended for those among us that think that pheasants can only be killed with "magic" shells and chokes.

The plain truth is that we have been doing it for a long time with ordinary guns, shells, and chokes.

Premium shells usually contain better components. Hardened shot, cleaner powders, etc. Premium shells offer some advantages but are not necessary.

As you become more experienced, you will find a combination that you have confidence in.

I have been doing this for a long time and I am still learning. I do much of my pheasant hunting on lands requiring nontoxic shot. I shoot both 12 gauge and 16 gauge guns. Until recently, I had been using steel. This year, I have been experimenting with bismuth. It does seem to be more effective.

I wish you the very best in your quest.

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Deadeye8 wrote:
Savage16 wrote:

it was the 1-1/8 load of 6' s the Blue box not there Premium stuff... I picked up some Fiochi #5 and a box of the Federal Premiums in #5 to try next time...

I've killed a lot of MN roosters with those Federal 1 1/8 oz. 6's in my Rem. 11. They used to be called High Power and a pretty stiff load at 1300 fps, and for some reason these days they are looked at as not quite enough. Get a stouter load and the range increases, maybe, and the bird losses continue.

The best load is a well-practiced shooter who knows his limitations and also owns a good dog.

Not trying to be preachy, just how it is. Smile
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:31 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Deadeye8 wrote:
Savage16 wrote:

I've killed a lot of MN roosters with those Federal 1 1/8 oz. 6's in my Rem. 11. They used to be called High Power and a pretty stiff load at 1300 fps, and for some reason these days they are looked at as not quite enough. Get a stouter load and the range increases, maybe, and the bird losses continue.

The best load is a well-practiced shooter who knows his limitations and also owns a good dog.

Not trying to be preachy, just how it is. Smile

Amen ! Very Happy
Milo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:41 am  Reply with quote

I have been using Federal Premium #5 shot for the past couple of seasons. They've worked great except when I miss. Then they're terrible. Laughing

Current 16 gauge shotguns

Browning BPS Special Field 26"
Browning 525 26"
Franchi Instinct SL 28"