16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  A Few Good Reads
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

A while ago I was thinking about some of the most memorable, moving stories written about the hunting and fishing subjects many of us love best. Several of these stories have grown on me over the years, so much so that I find i read them each year just prior to bird season. They provide a heightened level of anticipation and enthusiasm as i look forward to the season's beginning. Some of my all time favorites are:

1. An All Time Favorite: from Volume 2, the 1977 Gray's Sporting Journal's Upland Bird issue--"The Prairie Queen" by Jack Curtis

2. A close second, same issue--"There's Always Tomorrow" by John Hewitt

3. Two stories from "The Best of Nash Buckingham" edited by George Bird Evans--
"Comin' 21" and a wonderful quail story, "Play House"

4. From "The Bobwhite Quail Book" by Lamar Underwood, an obscure story by A. R. Beverly-Giddings, "Quail of the Eastern Sho"

5. From the anthology "Pheasant Tales", a moving story by John Madson, "Pheasants Beyond Autumn"

6. Two stories by an entertaining Old Master--from "Hunting & Home in the Southern Heartland" (The Best of Archibald Rutledge)--"What Scared Kitty" and "Congaree" though there are other fine stories in this collection....

I hope these listings will cause you to reflect on your favorites---there are a great many more I could have listed---and maybe you'll want to acquaint yourselves with one or two of the above. They have lifted my spirits greatly when I was unable to get to the field myself....

(Sorry that I seem to have listed these in the "Guns For Sale" section...got carried away !)

Barnyard Drake
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief wrote:
A while ago I was thinking about some of the most memorable, moving stories written about the hunting and fishing subjects many of us love best. Several of these stories have grown on me over the years, so much so that I find i read them each year just prior to bird season. They provide a heightened level of anticipation and enthusiasm as i look forward to the season's beginning. Some of my all time favorites are:

1. An All Time Favorite: from Volume 2, the 1977 Gray's Sporting Journal's Upland Bird issue--"The Prairie Queen" by Jack Curtis

2. A close second, same issue--"There's Always Tomorrow" by John Hewitt

3. Two stories from "The Best of Nash Buckingham" edited by George Bird Evans--
"Comin' 21" and a wonderful quail story, "Play House"

4. From "The Bobwhite Quail Book" by Lamar Underwood, an obscure story by A. R. Beverly-Giddings, "Quail of the Eastern Sho"

5. From the anthology "Pheasant Tales", a moving story by John Madson, "Pheasants Beyond Autumn"

6. Two stories by an entertaining Old Master--from "Hunting & Home in the Southern Heartland" (The Best of Archibald Rutledge)--"What Scared Kitty" and "Congaree" though there are other fine stories in this collection....

I hope these listings will cause you to reflect on your favorites---there are a great many more I could have listed---and maybe you'll want to acquaint yourselves with one or two of the above. They have lifted my spirits greatly when I was unable to get to the field myself....

(Sorry that I seem to have listed these in the "Guns For Sale" section...got carried away !)

My SECOND ex-wife made me throw away my collection of Grays Journals. That should have told me something right there!
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

I forgot to mention "The Road to Tinkhamtown" by Corey Ford--as well as another Nash Buckingham favorite of mine; this one about duck shooting: "Great Day in the Morning".
Also, two duck hunting stories by a Wisconsin sports writer, Gordon MacQuarrie: "The Little Flight" and "Ducks? You Bat You!"

And finally, truly a gem of a hardnosed waterfowl story from the November/December 1990 issue of "Sporting Classics" magazine, originally written in 1956 by Kenneth H. Otterson entitled "The Bronze Goose"-very inspiring.....

I love to hunt upland birds and waterfowl, and I also really relish the classic sporting literature that has chronicled great bird hunts of the past...both factual, and fictional....if I've left out your favorites, reply and set me straight! Have a great bird season!

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Wht? We don't have sporting literature readers who also want to buy/sell guns?

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Well ??
Some of the gun library Smile

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful! I just couldn't understand why it took several days to get a response.....

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Busy hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading !
Reading is for when the snow drifts are TALL Smile

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

They may not be tall in Texas but unfortunately they've already been tall here. I like to get psyched up for the season by reading some of the great sporting writers' works. for me it's the next best thing to being there.

So far, pretty good season on roosters and ducks, still got about 10 days on ducks, from 12/22 to year end---IF we don't get frozen out.

Hope your season has been fruitful.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:20 pm  Reply with quote

Guy de la Valdene, “For a Handful of Feathers”. A friend sent me a copy of “The Fragrance of Grass” which was enjoyable.
Steven Bodio’s “On the Edge of the Wild” is a collection of articles he wrote for various publications, along with a few he wrote for the book. Very good reading.
I tend toward nonfiction. A book I bought long ago has become my bible on the livestock known as a dog. “The Gordon Setter, The Black and Tan bombshell” by Suzanne and Norman Sorby. Airline lose your dog, and you don’t know where to start? Foxtails and cactus? Breeding questions? This book will get you through it. Transfers well to other hunting breeds.
Worth every penny.

Best,
Ted

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Just a few of my favorites...

1) The Watch - Ted Nelson Lundrigan
2) Bobwhites, Doctors, and Hunts Remembered - John Hewitt
3) Old Tom
The Woodcock Gun
The Old Songs - Gene Hill
4) Tranquillity - Col. Harold P. Sheldon
5) Prologue to Notes from the San Juans - Steven J. Meyers
6) The Last Running - John Graves
7) These Are Our Good Old Days - William G. Tapply
Cool First Game...And Last - William W. Headrick

Last edited by fin2feather on Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:37 am  Reply with quote

Great! Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for! Several writings in the above lists that I've not read.

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

One name: Jim Fergus. That is all.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, "A Hunter's Road"...some of the people he hunted with, and some of the places he hunted, were amazing; makes you wonder if he ever reconnected with any of them for follow up hunts.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:19 am  Reply with quote

Like Ted, I'm mostly a nonfiction guy.

Here are a couple favorites and I know 16'er will recognize at least one of them. They are the mustiest smelling books in my library.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/po5xQiJUj] [/URL]
Zrexxer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:44 am  Reply with quote

One of the ones I enjoyed when I was younger is "Moss, Mallards, and Mules, and Other Hunting and Fishing Stories" by Robert Brister, who at the time was the shooting editor for Field & Stream.