16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sub Gauge Ducks
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:23 am  Reply with quote

Hunted ducks last two days with some friends and then on day two by myself. I hadn't hunted waterfowl since the beginning of the season in October between deer, elk and upland just never got around to it. So since I had the itch to try out my 28 Benelli on ducks and my A5 16 both with with Kent Bismuth it was the perfect time to get it done. The mallards and a few blacks were thick in the area. I have a buddy with a pond he manages for ducks with an ice eater and blind. We had a big thaw most of the snow we had been blessed with was gone and rain was predicted. A quick call to him and another friend and a morning sub gauge hunt was planned. It was just one of those days when everything clicked, the hole was 40 yards away at its widest point, decoys were set and the ducks cooperated. With the two mallard limit we picked our shots and the 28's dropped em like rocks. I had not shot ducks with anything less that a 12 in years( probably 35) and was impressed. The three of us limited out in short order with 6 big mallards.
[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/58548_600x400/] [/URL]

It cooled down a little overnight with a light dusting of snow. I was by myself and decided to hit a small beaver pond that had open water near my camp. I had seen a few ducks on it while scouting the afternoon before. Since the creek where my blind is was overflowing I thought more ducks would congregate on the smaller water nearby. I was unprepared for what would happen though. I had to walk through a plowed field for a couple hundred yards so I went light . I carried only four dekes, blind bag , A5 16 and chair. I was set up 20 minutes prior to shooting time and enjoyed the quiet until seven minutes before legal shooting time four mallards came in and landed within 10 yards swam over to the decoys quaking and chuckling. At 1 minute to go a group of 15 or more did the same, followed by another group. They were making quite a racket. Mind you a lot of these birds were within 5 yards of me and putting on quite a show. I moved a little and they all got up and left. What a sight! Anyway singles and doubles started to come in. I called some but there was probably no need to. I picked out a drake at 20-25 yards and shot it. Watched the show for a few more then shot another incomer. I was done except for the possibility of a Black duck or two. I waited, passed one up since I wasn't sure until it was too late and took a high crosser on a single at 35 yards and crushed it. This Kent bismuth is good stuff in both the 28 and 16. Probably not going to replace my dedicated duck guns that get banged around and muddied pretty well but they have a place in the blind for sure especially in the places such as I hunted last couple days.
[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/58549_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/58550_600x400/] [/URL]

It was a nice break form deer hunting and waiting till its save to bring the dog back in the woods. My son told me he flushed five grouse yesterday while still hunting whitetails, that will be for another day.
Emtymag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Awesome hunts soggy socks! We don’t get black ducks here, I’ve only ever saw one and that was in Saskatchewan.

Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Soggy, Count me jealous of your 2 great days. I'm a 28 fan too. Don't duck hunt anymore but did absolutely pillow a rooster at maybe 25 yds going away with the Kent 7/8 oz Biz in 6's this fall. What size shot were you using on the ducks?

df
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Great pix, thanks
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:17 am  Reply with quote

Enviable, would have loved to been in the front row with you watching the pre-shoot show...thanks for sharing, great pics and story, truly great when it all "clicks".

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks gents it was a lot of fun watching them. Savage I used #5's in the 16 and #6 in the 28. Joe
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Great report, SS. Exclamation
Purple16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:23 am  Reply with quote

I like it! I grew up in Colchester.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."