16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Convert or buy?
cottonstalk
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Ok I picked up a mec 600 for 12 gauge. Would I be cheaper to convert it to 16 gauge or just buy a 16 gauge mec?
Lewis295
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:52 am  Reply with quote

a die set for the 600jr is about 90 bucks if you can find them... If you wanted to reload both a fair bit, I'd have separate press. But if you picked up the 12ga for song, I'd convert it. A used 600 in 12 is usually easy to come by at a good price. The 16s are harder to find and are usually a little more expensive
cottonstalk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I picked up the 12ga mec for $20, so I'll start looking a conversion kit. Thanks again.
df
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

I bought, a sizemaster, for 16 ga reloading, vs convert my 12 or 20 sizemaster.
Thought it would be a pita to convert back and forth.

Last edited by df on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

I went through the same dilemma several years ago. I ended up purchasing a 16 gauge single stage MEC press for $75.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Cottonstalk -- Good score on that MEC 600. However, die sets from MEC are absolutely ridiculous, price-wise, nowadays. They are cheaper, if you can find them on the internet (eBay), but often it is cheaper yet to just buy a used/old 16 gauge MEC 600 complete or incomplete and do whatever is necessary to make it functional. MEC's are very maintainable/restoreable -- great parts availability and assistance from the factory. If you find a die conversion set you'd like to buy, make sure you get the right one for your loader, as there are three versions of the MEC 600, Pre-1982, 1982 through 1985, and the current 1986 and later Mark 5 version. Call MEC Customer Service to determine the version of the 600 you might have if you aren't sure, or with any other question on operation, repair, etc. MEC service and documentation are the best of any shotshell reloader manufacturer, by far.

Depending on the version of your 600, you might be able to use most of the parts of any of the die set versions. Most of the parts are the same or interchangeable, but you likely will have to purchase a few more key parts if the version of the die set does not match your 600 press. Again, call MEC for help.

The MEC 600, even at current retail pricing, is still the most cost-effective overall solution and will give you the most control over the construction and appearance of your re-loads. That's why there are more of them out there than probably the sum total of all other models of all other shotshell loaders including MEC's other than 600's.

In any event get a manual and take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with crimp adjustments. That's the key to satisfaction in shotshell reloading. Do not think you have to put up with ugly re-loads. With the 600 in particular, you can make them to your standards up to and including as good-looking and functioning as factory loads.

I do not work for MEC. I have been reloading with most versions of MEC reloaders as well as some of other manufacture for over 55 years. I have 16 MEC reloaders. 8 are 600s or the similar 700, all different gauges except one - have two 28 gauge 600's (different locations, winter/summer). The rest are 9000's on the Automate devices, except for one ancient 12 gauge 650 which I have also adapted to an Automate, and with which I am so happy I just can't bear to part with it, despite it's limitations (must resize as a separate operation -- need another tool -- SuperSizer or it's elder predecessor, the Case Condtioner).

Good luck. There is plenty of help available here at the 16 Gauge Society.

Cheers! Happy Holidays and Best in The New Year!
Tony
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

One more thing: Rather than convert reloaders for other gauges, even when possible, I, like df and John Singer, prefer not to change dies, at least in the case of MEC's. Though it can be done, it is a PITA as df says, and for the cost of a used 600 vs. the cost of a die set, it seems clear to me it is a lot better to just have a loader for each gauge. If you were talking Ponsness-Warren, or Spolar, then gauge change sets are the only way to go, and those loaders are made for modular changes, but MEC's progressives, the 500, Super-600, the 650, the Grabber and the 9000 were not ever intended to be gauge-changeable. Though I have done that now 4 times on 9000's and 650's, it is hardly a paying proposition, less so, of course, than the gauge change of a 600, but it's a scrounger's job to obtain the parts cost-effectively. Ya Gotta Wanna! I just happen to be that kind of nut, I guess. I don't recommend it unless you really love the machines, and are the type that has accrued or will accrue a pile of spare parts. Frankly, MEC has been very generous and helpful to me in my conversions of progressives.

Cheers!
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:13 am  Reply with quote

Been there done that, +1 on the advice to purchase another, toggling back and forth can be a chore. I prefer specialized/dedicated tooling.

https://www.titanreloading.com/600-jr-mark-5-16-gauge-conversion-die-set

OR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mec-Shotshell-Reloader-600-Jr-16ga/163974210768?hash=item262d9fe4d0:g:EFUAAOSwMAxd5~Ro

All in you'll be at ~$100/machine...not too bad.

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

I started reloading for my 16 with a Lyman Easy loader, originally in 12ga. I was lucky enough to find a 16 die set on the internet. Then I found a 12 ga. 600 cheap and put a 16 die set on it. I use it for one piece wads and the Easy for card wad loads.