16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Has antbody reloaded these hulls??
jig
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:58 am  Reply with quote

Just want to know how these work for 7/8 to 1oz reloading. I got a got a case of them and want them for feedstock.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Federal hulls reload quite well if you keep them stored dry and check the paper base wad for loosening every time you deprime and reprime them. If they get the least bit damp, chuck them. The base wad will be ruined.

Also, some of these hulls can be a bit tricky to crimp. Just make sure the crimp fold depth is at least .055-.060" deep at the crease. This will help keep them from popping open later. On a single stage press with but one station for closing the crimp and tapering the hull, do it with several gentle applications of handle pressure rather than one heavy one. this will help prevent collapsing the case walls on the hulls with softer plastic walls. A little trial and error will help you find the right technique.
jig
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:28 am  Reply with quote

What is the criteria for checking base wad? How do you test?
How do they get wet? When they are on the inside of hull? Seems like you'd have to leave them stnding up in a rain to get wet. Thanks
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

Jig,
Some folks have said they experienced the paper base seperating . This has lead some to shy away from the federal cases. I use them and have found them to be fine. If i drop one in the snow after its been shot it stays there. The only testing I have done for base loosness has ben to press a metal dowel into the case with the base setting on a solid surface. The paper that has come loose sometimes will push back under pressure or when I drop the dowel lightly in the case a dull sound occures on loose based cases. The metal dowel I use is the primer pocket tool I use to resize or refreshen primer pockets. It works for me and I feel secure with the method I have chosen. With a break open shotgun I always look out of habit. This is the final test to be sure. Other than that just don't set the case upright in the rain. Wink
Best,
Ron
jig
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

thats when i'm happy i have extractors, rather than ejectors
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

The straight walled hull is better suited to 1 oz and heavier---I have loaded less with spacers----but the best way is to go with a tapered hull which reduces internal capacity.You can always sell/trade here on this forum for what you need Wink