16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New A5 owner stock fit problem.
51smd
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Hi everyone my son surprised me at Christmas with a new A5 sweet 16. It’s a beautiful little gun with a 26 inch barrel I can’t wait to shoot it. But I have a problem every time I mount the gun I’m looking at the back of the receiver, I have changed the length of pull and tried both shims provided by browning but none of that appears to make any difference. I messed around with some foam last night and it looks like I need about a quarter inch in height to be able to see over the top of the receiver. I ordered two Beretta gel pads to try out on the but stock. Is there any one else having this problem besides me? Does anyone have any other suggestions to remedy this problem? I can usually pick up any Browning shotgun and it fits me very well. Steve

16'er
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:01 am  Reply with quote

I put a foam comb riser on the wife’s gun. Had local cobbler fit a thin piece of leather to the top of it.

https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads/cheek-eez/

There are the leather lace on type risers as well. Triple K makes one.

https://www.triplek.com/product/1502915030-shotgunrifle-cheek-piece-3/

Or go all in and have an adjustable comb installed.

https://graco-corp.com/product/1000/
John Singer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:33 am  Reply with quote

Your issue is very common.

I am an assistant coach for several teams in the USA High School Clay Target League. I do a great deal of gun fitting.

The majority of shooters that I work with require the comb to be raised.

Here is a resource to assist you.

https://www.theyorkshiregent.com/shooting/gun-fitting-guide-fit-shotgun/

Essentially you want to place your dominant eye over the rib with the bottom of the iris at the top of the rib. Be aware that whatever method you use to raise the comb, should not cast your eye off the center of the rib.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:23 am  Reply with quote

On a field gun that does not have a parallel comb you cannot add to the length of pull as that will make the issue worse, because your eyes drop lower in relationship to the rib/bead.

When adding shims, if they are thicker at the top of the stock that will also drop your eyes. You need to use the shims that are thicker at the bottom side to raise the comb/your eyes.

Kick-EEZ makes some nice soft material that has adhesive on them that is specifically made for your situation, it is called Cheek-EEZ.

Before you make any expensive alterations I think Cheek-EEZ makes more sense, since you can experiment and not alter anything permanently.

Here is the link:

https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads/cheek-eez/

readgriff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:33 am  Reply with quote

You should be able with head and eyes level bring gun to shoulder and the comb should fit just under your cheek bone.If have to move your head forward for the comb to nestle to your cheekbone then comb is probably to low. With the shims supplied I would think get you in the ball park.
Your body type should tell you allot if you have a short neck and round face would contribute to poor gun fit.Same goes if you have a long neck and thin face. You should be able to see over the rear of the receiver and half of barrel and bead.
And of course go to pattern board or paper. You don’t aim a shotgun raise gun smoothly to cheek bone and shoulder pull trigger.
Of course a good fitter can make short work of it all👍
readgriff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:34 am  Reply with quote

You should be able with head and eyes level bring gun to shoulder and the comb should fit just under your cheek bone.If have to move your head forward for the comb to nestle to your cheekbone then comb is probably to low. With the shims supplied I would think get you in the ball park.
Your body type should tell you allot if you have a short neck and round face would contribute to poor gun fit.Same goes if you have a long neck and thin face. You should be able to see over the rear of the receiver and half of barrel and bead.
And of course go to pattern board or paper. You don’t aim a shotgun raise gun smoothly to cheek bone and shoulder pull trigger.
readgriff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:43 am  Reply with quote

readgriff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:44 am  Reply with quote

Of course a good fitter can make short work of it all. Very Happy
readgriff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:44 am  Reply with quote

Of course a good fitter can make short work of it all. Very Happy
hayseed
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:02 am  Reply with quote

51smd wrote:
Hi everyone my son surprised me at Christmas with a new A5 sweet 16.

What a great gift. 👍🏻
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:42 am  Reply with quote

I have a wrap around cheek pad that attaches with a velcro strap on the back side. No alterations necessary. I use it for vintage guns quite often. Works fantastic.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

I like these and replace the laces with old fabric fly line Smile

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Triple-K-Leather-Cheek-Pad/706669.uts

https://www.triplek.com/product/1502915030-shotgunrifle-cheek-piece-3/

51smd
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I taped a foam pad that came out of someone’s Christmas present to the top of the stock it’s around a quarter inch thick. That raised my head enough to get me over the top of the receiver to see the beads. I was able to shoot 3 rounds of 5 stand and a round of skeet today at Clove spring range in Wantage NJ and the gun shot well when I did my part. I have ordered 2 Baretta gel cheek pads one .12 thickness and the other .24. So between the 2 I should be in business. Can’t wait to get out and shot it again.

Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:11 am  Reply with quote

I have this problem with all my Browning Autos and Pump actions. If you have access to a 3D printer you can make shims that will provide the angle to get the height you need. It will save you putting anything nasty on the stock.
I can possibly post some if I can find my spares.
51smd
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

The Beretta pads were too low and would not stay on the stock so they went back. I’m going to start calling around to see if I can get an adjustable comb installed on it. So far I’m very disappointed with the way the gun fits and how I shoot it.