16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Grouse Dogs
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,
Godspeed with your recovery. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have that beautiful pup and not be able to work it like you want to. Your assessment of it's demeanor as an "old soul" may be a real blessing everything considered. My pup is approaching 10 months old and still displaying more Tasmanian devil tendencies than old soul. Luckily, his bird work is spot on, it's just all the rest of the time that keeps me jumping trying to stay ahead of whatever he gets into next. I just keep reminding myself that this fantastic motor that pup has will be a blessing when he grows out of that puppy stage, but I do question if getting that high powered of a pup was the smartest thing a 78 year old could do.

Rowdy out of the gate on an open field trial. Airborne and opening on a two year old dog.

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet looking pup, Dave, hope your healing speeds up and gets you back in the woods well before the opener!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister,

I know what you mean about making the decision we did, my better half thinks I am crazy to start 2 new grouse dog pups at my age and just after open heart surgery. I hope you are having as much fun with your pup as I am mine, at our age we maybe a little crazy but we are living our lives to the fullest and that is what counts. Got to admit our Clearcut Gordon pup is a hand full and quick as lightening. Can't wait to get her in the Grouse woods and let her hunt some Grouse.

All the best
Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

Enjoy the pops Dave. They keep you young. Nice looking Gordon. I have a soft spot for the black and tan breed. Hope your health continues to improve.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 am  Reply with quote

kgs & PatrickB,

Thanks for the well wishes and the nice complements on the pups. Definitely looking forward to spending time in the Grouse woods once again with the new pups.

Pine Creek/Dave

8mmFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Dave as you know from our talk I got what I hope will be a great pup from Mike as well. He’s been at our house for about six weeks now and he has made himself right at home.

Random thoughts: crazy how smart he seems to be - never forgets where his water and chow are located. Haha. Can find his way through any barrier we set up in the house to keep him out of certain parts of the home. About the only thing he hasn’t figured out is how to turn a door knob but I wouldn’t be surprised if he evolves an opposable (sp?) thumb to do that too.

He’s growing fast. Picked him up at about 8 lb.s and I’m guessing he’s somewhere near twenty now.

We’re lax on our “training” so far - my 9-year old boy has taught him to sit, though. And that without treats of any kind.

Seems like he went right from loving his Purina All life State food to wanting to eat spare ribs, smoked leg of lamb, and ham sandwiches.

Spends very little time in his crate any longer - I think he made it right into my and the wif’s bed and sleeps there pretty much every night now.

Figured out that “come” means, “Ah, yes, let’s play the run away from you” game!! It’s a blast!” (Not real happy about that one at 2am in sub-freezing weather, but it is what it is).

Absolutely fascinating how, in about his second night home, he went right to the throrniest rose bushe hedges we have and made himself at home snaking in and out of there.

His looks are a bonus: he’s a gorgeous three-color setter that’s pretty much black in the body and tri-color on all paws, chest, and face.

I’d post pictures but I don’t know how.

good luck on a fast recovery from here! No worries on getting pups late in life. It keeps you young. I’m 52 w/ a 3-year old daughter and wouldn’t have it any other way. I’ll need somebody to wipe the drool off my chin in my old age and I know my wife won’t do it (more like a pillow over my breathing apparatus from her - haha). Those pups’ll keep you going for years!

8mmFan
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

Ok it’s been a while but trying new things now that photobucket has decided to be difficult. Here’s a photo of my Setter on a pheasant last week. Field gun of choice was my new Browning Sweet Sixteen

Very Happy

Last edited by nj gsp on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:34 am  Reply with quote

nj gap,

Rotate your picture and enlarge!

Pine Creek/Dave

nj gsp
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
nj gap,

Rotate your picture and enlarge!

Pine Creek/Dave

I set up a gallery on my photography website to use for hosting, let me know if the edited post looks better than the last one. Thanks!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

nj gap,

Picture of your Setter looks great now, looks like you figured it out.

Pine Creek/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:55 am  Reply with quote

Here is 10 month old Rowdy, the future of my grouse hunting, locked up on a pheasant at 4-B's hunting preserve. A bunch of my friends get together every MLK long weekend to stay at the lodge, eat Hal Brown's great cooking, and chase pheasants morning and afternoon on Saturday and Sunday. Those of us with dogs serve as the guides and it is a great opportunity to get your dogs on a lot of birds. I decided to put Rowdy into the rotation with my older dogs and he found every one of his birds, pointed them and retrieved to hand. Can't wait for next fall to get this lil feller on wild birds out west.

Rowdy on a pheasant, locked up and styling.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:15 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister,

Great picture sir!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Here’s another photo of my setter with the evidence. That’s a Citori Superlight Feather 16ga on the tailgate.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

nj gap,

Nice picture of your young Setter and his Grouse on the tail gate. Where were you hunting when you took the 2 nice Grouse with your Setter?

Hay it's a sin to shoot God's greatest game bird with a sick barrel gun, it is a real nice 16 Browning gun however.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

This was in Maine a few years ago. I only hunt grouse with a 16, and I have a few 16’s to choose from depending on weather (and other things) Very Happy

I have a L.C. but it’s a 12ga Trap - ejectors, long barrels, and it is HEAVY!