16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  "Tho winter is upon us..."
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Dave:

I'll bet, very cold here in Omaha tonight. The FE Thomas stuff is truly lovely, but...I need longer rods out here in the wide-open and windy west and the Grangers (at least until the last few years) have been a very good value. They used to be downright cheap until Gierach started writing about them.

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting...only about half of the photography I try to upload will display...

The different reelseats used by Goodwin Granger:
[url=https://imgur.com/BbNsWub] [/url]
A converted early 1495 1/2 loaded with a 1950s silk 6WF. It now has a 16/4 LH dragplate in it:
[url=https://imgur.com/qq1mRcW]
What it looked like when I got it from E-bay. Rusty, dirty and all bent to hell, w/a broken drag stem:
[url=https://imgur.com/D3AsG9d] [/url]
[/url]
My foray into quad rods (which I like!):
[url=https://imgur.com/enJAg1P] [/url]
Four, five and six-weight, mostly early Pflueger Medalist reels, loaded with both modern and silk lines:
[url=https://imgur.com/074DU17] [/url]

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:12 am; edited 24 times in total

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

take OUT the ?1
YOU are a quick learner Smile

Last edited by skeettx on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:31 am  Reply with quote

Skeettx: You're a man for all seasons, thank you. FWIW, I went back through things and made a few changes.

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 am  Reply with quote

Should we talk about rifles too?

[url=https://imgur.com/toEtrSc] [/url]

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:41 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

My daughter Vanessa Jane fishes with a 5 Wgt Edwards, 8 1/2' long, a real nice rod for the big Pine Creek, I also have a 9 1/2' F.E. Thomas 5 Wgt for the big water, simply incredible Bamboo Fly Rods.

The Edwards rod I restored before I closed down Pine Creek Rod Restoration, and man is it a nice Bamboo Rod to fish with. You are right about the cost going way up, because of the books being written.

Over the 20 years I restored bamboo fly rods, I got to refurbish some real nice rods from all over the USA. Made some serious money doing the work and picked up some seriously beautiful Fly Rods, made by the old master builders, to add to my collection. I fish with all my Bamboo Fly Rods each and every season. I use both my Classic double guns and my Bamboo Fly rods as my ancestors did. We have no wall hangers in this family.

Glad to see you like Bamboo Fly Rods, now we have to get you into fine double guns for the Grouse woods. A nice L.C. Smith #5 16 gauge gun, is my suggestion. I like the O/U guns but not for Grouse and Woodcock hunting. However my brother who is 3 years younger than me is into Browning O/U guns, and has a few real nice ones.
The heathen actually hunts Grouse and Woodcock with them.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Kurt in Canada with his 28 Gauge Browning O/U, nasty O/U guns should not be used for Grouse hunting.

I do have nice Browning guns to shoot Clays with.

My Browning 28/20 Combo gun, I used for many years.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Dave: Fine doubles and bamboo rods go hand in hand. Something about the aesthetics of both: traditional, hand-made, artistic, and...long, light and lovely.

I very-much like classic American guns but...having grown-up with Elsie, I find myself now more drawn to the English classics (straight stocks and two triggers please!). I have an Arrieta 557 (my first "good" gun and a decent Spanish copy of an H&H sidelock, which I mostly use on wild pheasant) and have had other English guns in the past, the nicest of which was a Damascus John Blanch back-action ejector from 1887 (sadly, can't seem to access any pictures of the Blanch at the moment). Another Damascus gun would be way to-much fun.

Arrieta 12 with my Dickinson 28
[url=https://imgur.com/7wcXQ7z] [/url]

What moves me more these days, however, is gunfit and then weight and balance. No matter how lovely....some classics will never get there for me. Having grown up in Appalachia has also made me a bit sensitive to the value/utility equation, thus my owning mostly boxlocks these days. I am, however, open to persuasion...

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

I fully understand, having owned several good Boss double guns that were passed down thru the family I liked them very much, our Churchill and H&H guns were also very nice. I did not know you had any fine SXS double guns, I thought you were into O/U type guns. I also liked the Arrieta double guns, and the modern UGGIE Side Lock Grade IV & V also.

For me however nothing tops a graded L.C. Smith 16 gauge double gun, in the Grouse woods. I only wish Hunter Arms would have produced a 28 gauge double gun, on a real 28 frame for the hunting public.

Glad to see you hunt Grouse with some fine SXS double guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Ahh! Sinclairs book! Bought my first bamboo 20+ years ago and fell in love with them! So much that I found a local builder who took me under his arm and taught me to build. I've built myself about 20 rods for myself and another 20 or so for friends. Bamboo rocks.

And you've got good taste in English shot guns! I have a WILLIAM Powell & Son made in 1886 but re-barreled in 1946. Totally re-finished in England.

And a JV Needham
(Actually a Greener who kept the name) made in 1926. Both 16's of course.

Looking to sell a couple of Colt SAA's so I can pick up a Merkel 1620. Also have a cabin in SW Colorado.

I'd be glad to put a new grip on that Granger for no cost just cover the shipping.

Matt
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek, that is a beautiful gun!

Matt
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Dave: Gorgeous Smith gun! Is that one of yours? I can shoot O/Us but don't like them much (eye dominance issues). Started out with a SxS Smith and haven't deviated much from that. I have delved deeply into classic pumps and have found a few that I was much impressed with.

My father-in-law's circa 1948 Model 31L in 16 gauge (5 1/2 lbs!):

[url=https://imgur.com/7inSHlE] [/url]

I also have a pre-war Model 37 (in 16), an early Model 12 (in 20), a flattop Model 520 (in 12) and a couple of 870s (one's a lefty). All good honest practical guns. I''ve also had several (many?) others in my quest to better understand the genre. As much as I like them (pervasive in the world I grew up in), a double works best for me.

CitoriFeather: Thanks but that gold-wrapped Goodwin Granger Special (a 9050) is in somebody else's care now.

Almost forgot, I shot a big 10 double on ducks and geese for years as well...

[url=https://imgur.com/1x83r3F] [/url]

The available ammo for it finally caused me to go back to a 12.

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

Ruff Hunter: Just went back through my earlier post and realized that the rod on Mike Sinclair's book is a Champion 9050, not a Colorado Special. That 9043 rod is shown in a later post with an early gold-wrapped Goodwin Special (to compare the uplocking reelseat and grips to the cap and ring units used until 1938). Don't have the Champion anymore either (sold it to a fellow in Australia).

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd,
Thank you so much for the photo tour. It is always nice to see new country and what a pleasant surprise in the dead of winter.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:04 am  Reply with quote

That is a fine collection of Granger Boo you have there Lloyd. Back in the day I had a handful of GG's and W&M GG's and even a few of the Lacey Grangers. 7030 through 8642. Even though I shouldn't have, I sold them all.

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
20Ga Miroku x2 (Model F & Model 500)
28Ga AYA 4/53 (bucket list item #6)
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Ruff Hunter: Don't feel to bad, I've bought and sold most of my wood rods at least twice by now. The 1st time was a learning curve, then prices got crazy so I sold'em all and tried the modern stuff (and at a significant employee discount). After a while though, prices crashed back down and by then...I'd clearly been missing some of them. They're not for every situation, but they are still kind of fun to dig out occasionally.

Chicago: You're most welcome.

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:08 am; edited 2 times in total