16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reload suggestions tighten Cylinder bore patterns
Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

The gun is an Arrieta 12 ga with 2 in chambers. 7/8 oz is about as heavy load I reload. Use Alliant extra lite in 3/4 oz for skeet and is good. I just patterned some 7/8 oz with 19.5 gr Green Dot #8 shot Looks better on paper. I have also ordered some extra hard nickel platted 8’s from BP to try. Will report when arrives
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:52 am  Reply with quote

The writings I have on closing up open chokes are for 12ga guns, Green Dot is a favorite and one article adds 800X and unique. This is generally a clay target discussion and loads are 1 1/8oz, it's going to be up to your gun at greatly reduced shot charges where the range of suitable powders shifts somewhat.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:10 am  Reply with quote

I was able to tighten up a cylinder choked 12 gauge with a moderate velocity (1200 fps), Green Dot, and the B&P wad below. I'm wary of Ballistic Products hype, but in my patterning I've found that this B&P series, both 12 and 16 tends to indeed tighten up the pattern. Not sure if you can work up a 2" load with them tho!

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Trap-Commander-12ga-wad-250_bag/productinfo/020Z21/
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Ducks Rx wrote:
The gun is an Arrieta 12 ga with 2 in chambers. 7/8 oz is about as heavy load I reload. Use Alliant extra lite in 3/4 oz for skeet and is good. I just patterned some 7/8 oz with 19.5 gr Green Dot #8 shot Looks better on paper. I have also ordered some extra hard nickel platted 8’s from BP to try. Will report when arrives

Try dropping to 15 grns of Green Dot with 7/8 oz of shot. My very favorite target load. I use SG16 wad. Bet you never use anything else.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:41 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
Black powder guys use wax melted around the shot.

Can you share the process? Each pellet coated or the shot column encased in wax?

Can anyone explain how going to a certain powder tightens up patterns? Is it that the ones suggested are slower burn rate and maybe a more gentle ignition deforms less shot?

I too am in the process of trying to tighten up some guns/patterns and all these passive treatments are sounding interesting.

kgb
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:17 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:

Can anyone explain how going to a certain powder tightens up patterns? Is it that the ones suggested are slower burn rate and maybe a more gentle ignition deforms less shot?

I too am in the process of trying to tighten up some guns/patterns and all these passive treatments are sounding interesting.

I don't think I've seen definitive explanation for why that particular set of powders works to tighten patterns but the credit given to "gentleness" of the slower burn rate is pretty universal. What is definitive is the resulting set of patterns that show their performance is real. Authors nearly always finish with a disclaimer that what worked through their chokes may not work through yours, but admit they have a good starting point.

Carlos
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

error

Last edited by Carlos on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carlos
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

error

Last edited by Carlos on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Carlos
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

The explanation as I understand it, is the relative disruption of the shot and shot column.

Larger shot resists deformation a bit better and has a higher ballistic coefficient.

Harder shot resists deformation better.

Slower powder ignition causes less deformation.

Shot protectors and ballistic fillers protect shot from deformation.
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
16'er wrote:
Black powder guys use wax melted around the shot.

Can you share the process? Each pellet coated or the shot column encased in wax?

From what I’ve read, the loader creates a paper shot cup in a form, fills with the prescribed amount of shot, then melts wax into the shot filled cup. This is then loaded as a unit in the field over the nitro card and cushion wad. Basically the wax is used as a buffer as I understand it.

This could be replicated in hand loading shotshells, albeit rather labor/time consuming. I’d start with a steel type wad and traditional buffer using a moderate powder thrown to give a moderate velocity if it were me. I’d also consider nickel plated shot as well.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, interesting stuff, that method does seem a bit laborious and probably at the far end of the pattern tightening spectrum.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

Jug choking does seem like it would be a lot easier than having to spend hours at the patterning board.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Carlos
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:57 am  Reply with quote

When altering or experimenting, work on the cheaper element first.
ShowMeSon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:37 am  Reply with quote

Ohio,
I like the sound of that load. Do you know the psi & fps?
Thanks
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

No I don't.sorry. I don't remember what I based it off. How ever it's very low recoil and treats me and my prewar Ithaca 37's very well. Breaks 16 yard clays with authority. I'm gonna guesstimate about 1150 FPS.