16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Thieme and Schlegelmilch 16ga - info?
dilly
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:23 am  Reply with quote

Hey guys! I just picked up another German 16ga. It is a Nimrod SxS made by T+S.
I posted this over at the German and Austrian forum on Double gun and though maybe some of you may have some info or opinions... From what I have read on the net and what I can see, it appears to be very well made. The action looks to be simple, yet extremely strong. Can any of you shed more light on what I see here?

The engraving is intricate and covers the gun completely. The checkering is also very fine and looks well done.

I have had it open and removed the spring and hammer. Everything looks as it should.

I plan on eventually cleaning up the wood as it shows signs of years of usage. Lots of dings and scratches to clean up.

dilly
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:25 am  Reply with quote

The learned members on DG put it between the wars, likely made in the 20's. It has 2 9/16" chambers and the serial number is in the 36400 range. Here are some pics of the stampings.

Any info, opinions, experience is appreciated.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Very nice side plated boxlock, somewhat similar to a Lefever, although I've never seen a vertical spring arrangement like that. Beautiful engraving too. Congrats!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:11 am  Reply with quote

Nice!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
flytyn
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:02 am  Reply with quote

very nice. I have one like yours, except mine has a horn trigger guard. It goes pheasant hunting every fall.
steve f
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:59 am  Reply with quote

The 'NITRO' stamp in block letters on the breech end of the barrels came into use at the Suhl proof house in 1912. Around 1923 the proof house started stamping the month and year of proof on the barrel flats in mm/yy or mmyy format. Absent the date stamp you would have a proof date of 1912-1922 or thereabouts. The 16 in a circle indicates it had the standard chamber length for a 16 at time of proof, which would have been 65mm in that date range, about 2 9/16".

The 'W' stamp on the barrel flats means a barrel had a fairly significant amount of choke. Even with the lack of a 'W', a barrel could still have a few thousandths of an inch of choke, up to around .007" from what I've read. I've had two 16s German SxS that lacked the 'W' stamp on the right barrel and both had .006"-.007" of choke constriction (and the barrels weren't back bored, no jug choke etc).
dilly
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

steve f wrote:
The 'NITRO' stamp in block letters on the breech end of the barrels came into use at the Suhl proof house in 1912. Around 1923 the proof house started stamping the month and year of proof on the barrel flats in mm/yy or mmyy format. Absent the date stamp you would have a proof date of 1912-1922 or thereabouts. The 16 in a circle indicates it had the standard chamber length for a 16 at time of proof, which would have been 65mm in that date range, about 2 9/16".

The 'W' stamp on the barrel flats means a barrel had a fairly significant amount of choke. Even with the lack of a 'W', a barrel could still have a few thousandths of an inch of choke, up to around .007" from what I've read. I've had two 16s German SxS that lacked the 'W' stamp on the right barrel and both had .006"-.007" of choke constriction (and the barrels weren't back bored, no jug choke etc).

Thanks Steve. That confirms what others have said. I measured the chokes and they are tight. Right barrel is imp mod and the left is very full.

dilly
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

flytyn wrote:
very nice. I have one like yours, except mine has a horn trigger guard. It goes pheasant hunting every fall.

Thanks FT. I love horn trigger guards and I imagine yours is very nice. Can you tell me if yours has an automatic or manual safety?

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Thieme & Schlegelmilch was one of the better, "quality" makers. My recollection is they went out sometime before the Depression, possibly in the early 20s. I'd feel comfortable putting their product up with the Lindner Dalys, i.e., some of the finest doubles to have come out of Germany, ever.

The action is basically the same Anson & Deely-type boxlock used by Merkel today. And at least as strong and reliable. 100 years old and as modern as tomorrow.

In short, you won the prize with this one.

flytyn
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

I do like the horn trigger guards. Mine has a manual safety, which is what I prefer.
dilly
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

flytyn wrote:
I do like the horn trigger guards. Mine has a manual safety, which is what I prefer.

Thanks, so does mine. I wondered if it had been changed...probably came that way.