16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal 16 gauge praire storm
Bill K
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:56 am  Reply with quote

TripleH wrote:
Clarifying - might have got some info wrong....

Federal Premium Upland Magnum
1 1/4 oz, 1260fps, sizes 4, 6

Federal Premium Upland Pheasants Forever High Velocity (not sure how they will get all these words on a box...)
1 1/8 oz, 1425fps, sizes 4,5,6

Federal Premium Prairie Storm FS Lead
1 1/4 oz, 1425fps, sizes 4,5,6

Federal Game Load - High Brass
1 1/8 oz, 1295fps, sizes 4,6,7.5

Honestly seems that they should offer the Upland Magnum or High Brass game load in size 5 and be done with it. Middle two offerings seem like overkill.

To TripleH

I just was on the Federal Website and the only new offering I saw (in lead shot) was the Premium Upland in 4, 5, or 6 shot - maybe I missed something here, but I don’t think so.

I’d be thrilled if they offered Black Cloud, Prairie Storm or just 1-1/4 ounce loads in 16 GA, but I don’t think that they are.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

No snobbery here, just tired of the whole gimmick angle. At least it's not Blindside with square brick pellets. There is too much hype and hoopla in the market today, not just 16 ga. or even just shotguns. That is hardly living in the past. I am not clamoring for fiber wads and paper hulls here. Now if PS could actually do something that no other shell can, it would be a different story and well worth the extra $10.

Is it great that Federal is paying attention to the 16 ga. market? Yes. Would I rather see them focus their efforts on offerings that fill bigger voids that exist? Yes. A serious steel shot target/ dove/ quail load is one of them. With California now lead free and many other areas around the country that also are, Federal is in lead position to take care of this market since they already have their own steel shot wads and experience producing factory steel loads for 16 ga. Hopefully that will be next in line.

John Singer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Federal produces a fine dove/quail steel load called Federal Upland Steel. It is available in 12 and 20 gauge in #6 and # 7.5 shot at 1400 fps. Local Walmart stores sell it for $5.94/box.

I would love to see them develop a similar offering in 16 gauge.

https://www.federalpremium.com/shotshell/federal-upland-waterfowl/upland-steel/11-USH12+6.html

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

It is a good load, I have used them with open choked guns for teal too. A 16 ga. version would be a winner. They already make it in 28 ga. and .410 too, both of which have also killed ducks for me.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve lost count, but I think I’m x6 on the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5’s. Hard to find around here tho.
John Singer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:

.... add to that a steel shot target load (akin to the ones offered by Winchester in 12 & 20 GA) - as 2 of the ranges I shoot are ‘steel shot only.’

I almost laugh when people call for manufacturers to produce 16 gauge steel target loads. It has been over 50 years, probably closer to 100 since they produced 16 gauge lead target loads.

Bill K
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:22 am  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
Savage16 wrote:

.... add to that a steel shot target load (akin to the ones offered by Winchester in 12 & 20 GA) - as 2 of the ranges I shoot are ‘steel shot only.’

I almost laugh when people call for manufacturers to produce 16 gauge steel target loads. It has been over 50 years, probably closer to 100 since they produced 16 gauge lead target loads.

RE: 16 GA target loads, although not labeled as such, I consider Remington 1 ounce Game Loads, and Herter’s 1 ounce loads ( when you can find them) to be target loads ( of course shot size depending) - they are relatively inexpensive, and do the job nicely.

RE: 16 GA steel shot target loads, at present I have to load my own however, the loads that I’ve come up with generate substantial recoil that is intolerable through my Citori, and marginally so through my new Sweet 16. I’m open to suggestions -

The gist of it is I reload but prefer factory loaded ammo.
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:44 am  Reply with quote

Actually John, I didn't write that about steel target loads.I don't see me ever shooting steel at targets. But heck, if someone wants/ needs them to shoot at a club they like, I'm not going to disagree.

Rdg
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:54 am  Reply with quote

nj gsp wrote:
I’ve lost count, but I think I’m x6 on the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5’s. Hard to find around here tho.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002144026

There out of stock right now but when it gets closer to fall they come back in stock. I usually order a few boxes and it’ll last me the season.
Order it during free shipping with $49 purchase and it’s a good deal.
Also... you can setup an account and elect to be notified once there back in Stock.
John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
Actually John, I didn't write that about steel target loads.I don't see me ever shooting steel at targets. But heck, if someone wants/ needs them to shoot at a club they like, I'm not going to disagree.

I am sorry, I incorrectly applied the quote function. That quote was Bill K's.

John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:

Last fall, I participated in a 100 target sporting clays shoot hosted by the Rochester Area Builders Association. It was mandatory steel shot only.

I noted no difference in my ability to hit targets.

http://business.rochesterareabuilders.com/events/details/sporting-clay-shoot-2019-rescheduled-5186

It is my understanding that the hosting landowner does not want many hundreds of pounds of lead deposited in his property.

Lewis295
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Has anyone actually tried these yet? Slightly disappointed in Federal that when these were announced they were advertised as 1 1/4oz loads, but when they actually hit shelves they are 1 1/8 oz.

I really love the buffered Wing Shok loads, but I don't see a gain from the Prairie storm. If they actually were 1 1/4oz loads I might be tempted by a box or two for late season roosters, but I'll probably just stick with the Wing Shok or Golden Pheasants
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

I also find it interesting that there seems to be this overall impression that the 16ga is a tiny niche market, yet whenever they hit the shelves, they are sold out quickly. Just do an online search now for 16ga ammo. Nearly everything is sold out. I think there is more demand than they think. You can't sell something you don't have. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

A real reason that some steel shot game/target loads are needed for 16ga(and 28ga) shooters is the many places that require non toxic shot for small game hunting. Here in Kansas there are many and the dove fields that the state plants each year are listed as non toxic shot zones.
I have reloaded my own for my 16ga but most people do not load their own or do not have the facility to set up to load their own.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235