16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Field test of my son's new "Christmas" gun.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

FWIW: This isn't a 16, unfortunately. Since nobody makes a new (and reasonable) double gun in 16 any more, this one is a new CZ Bobwhite G2 in 12-gauge, straight grip and splinter, two triggers, extractors, & a manual safety. The gun even has choke tubes and will handle steel(!) so it can double as a waterfowler as needed. My 16-year old son has been using a LH 870 with some success up at Grampa's place in Minnesota, but I'm a big fan of the simplicity and safety of a double, and at less than $600 this gun is the doublegun equivalent of the 870 in terms of cost and effectiveness. CZ has recently re-worked their Bobwhite action by going with coil springs rather than leaves, and accordingly they have been able to slim things down a smidgen and keep the weight around 7 lbs. LOP is 14 1/2 (over a fairly thin pad, so longer would be quite easy) and w/28-inch tubes. The guns are made in Turkey and like most of the Turks these days, the triggers are too-darn heavy. This one was 6 1/2 and 9 1/2 pounds of pull right out of the box. The good news here is that CZ will service their new guns for free in Topeka, Kansas and they even pay the shipping(!). I got the gun shipped in late January and 20-days later I had it back here at the house. I don't have a trigger gauge handy but I'd say that they are now closer to 3 1/2 and 4 pound of pull, which is fine for my purposes.

The new gun is still very stiff to use but it worked just fine today on clays. He took to it like a duck to water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFWN1a1m6lM

This same gun in 20-gauge is reported to be in the 6lb range which should make for a fairly respectable lightweight uplander gun as well.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Great report and video
Thanks
Mike

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd,

Very good report and I am hearing good things about this gun in the field. Too bad they do not make a 16! Liked the video also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:35 am  Reply with quote

If they're making it in 28 ga. there's hope.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
If they're making it in 28 ga. there's hope.

We’ve had a 28 ga Bobwhite for a few years now and it is everything Lloyd3 describes, a very awesome little lightweight well balanced great handling reliable SxS. Believe it has the coil springs but not absolutely certain.

HOWEVER...like Lloyd’s, the trigger pull is ridiculously heavy, feels like fifty pounds (it’s probably closer to eight or nine lbs) but since the gun is so extremely light it is impossible to get a decent natural release.

I really don’t want to invest a couple hundred more dollars in it for a gunsmith to hone the sears so I’m more than little a bit peeved about it unless CZ will take it in. Guess I need to stop grousing about it and give them a call...if I knew who to call.

B.
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:23 am  Reply with quote

Years ago after reading an in depth review by a Canadian on the first generation Bobwhite 28 ga., The balance is what was extolled. I bit. I had the triggers re-worked by a local gunsmith for a small price. 5.25 lbs. What a lightweight! On both Yildiz and CZ the barrels are chromed rather than blued. That non=traditional finish makes for a good all weather gun. Turkish guns have edged out the Spanish in inexpensive doubles that at one time were everywhere but the Turks with better wood and metal. I have bought $130 single-shots in .410 and 12 ga. that had superior wood than $3000 Beretta o/u's. Lloyd, you and your son got a lot of value in that gun for a small price. Gil
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:23 am  Reply with quote

Years ago after reading an in depth review by a Canadian on the first generation Bobwhite 28 ga., The balance is what was extolled. I bit. I had the triggers re-worked by a local gunsmith for a small price. 5.25 lbs. What a lightweight! On both Yildiz and CZ the barrels are chromed rather than blued. That non-traditional finish makes for a good all weather gun. Turkish guns have edged out the Spanish in inexpensive doubles that at one time were everywhere but the Turks with better wood and metal. I have bought $130 single-shots in .410 and 12 ga. that had superior wood than $3000 Beretta o/u's. Lloyd, you and your son got a lot of value in that gun for a small price. Gil
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Brewster, Don't know if they will still cover one of the old style but worth a try.
800 955 4486. They took care of shipping both ways for my new G2 version of the Bobwhite. They did the same years ago for a Ringneck. Good luck

16'er
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
... CZ has recently re-worked their Bobwhite action by going with coil springs rather than leaves, and accordingly they have been able to slim things down a smidgen and keep the weight around 7 lbs.

CZ lists them at 7.3lbs in 12ga. Have you weighed your gun?, just curious.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:25 am  Reply with quote

I haven't weighed it yet, but my son is almost 6'3 and 200 lbs (making it something of a non-issue). I shot it and 7.3 feels about right (7lbs4?).

Gil: Absolutely! I really wasn't even looking for another gun but found these G2 CZs when a younger (20-something) co-worker asked me about locating a reasonable sxs for him. I originally told him that anything decent would be at least 1.5k minimum. I ordered this one off of Gunbroker for $575. I believe that is a black chrome finish on the guns. Supposed to be almost impervious to rusting(!), well....we'll see about that one.