16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Turkey guns
gomerdog
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:18 am  Reply with quote

I am not a turkey hunter, so I really have no stake in the game, but I do have an opinion...image that, a shotgunner with an opinion. A rare bird on this site. Very Happy

Keep an eye on Gunbroker for a used hammerless 16 gauge Stevens Model 220B single barrel shotgun in good condition. Purchase same and send the barrel to Mike Orlen to have it threaded for choke tubes. Buy a turkey choke and install a Kick-Eez recoil pad. Or otherwise trick it out to the extent of your imagination and budget.

Being a single shot, it is already compact, but if not compact enough to suit you, you could lop off a few inches from the barrel. Having watched a bunch of turkey hunts on TV, when does anyone need more than one shot?

That's my non-turkey hunter opinion, or more formally, an American idiomatic expression of "my two cents." Probably over-valued.
megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
Why does a turkey gun need a camo job ????

All that turkey will ever see is the little black hole pointed at them .

I am sitting here thinking about all the turkey I have shot over the years , none have , now take that back I have shot 2 birds in the fall with my german sxs camo duck gun and steel shot.

Only reason that gun has paint on it is to keep the thing from rusting and to cover up all the Accra glass that was used to reconstruct the busted up stock .

I occasionally still take a bet or two when someone new bets me that I cannot kill a bird in a flannel red checkered shirt , running out of takers around here anymore seems no one wants to bet any more , I still see them play the lottery though , kinda strange .

You can tell I am tired after running the self propelled brush hog all day long .

Building food plots for those that have a hard time shooting game , I told them their was a name for them while we were working . Vegetarians.

All in good fun , maybe I can shoot a dove off the plots 🤗

Regards , Nick

You have got to be kidding me. Don't wear red when turkey hunting. It is the turkey hunting equivalent of keep your finger off the trigger.

No, you don't need camo on a gun.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

OK flannel plad blaze orange checkered shirt .

Sure glad the turkeys around here are not political and law abiding.

Too much fun . 🤗🤗

Regards , Nick
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

Here's my new turkey gun for this year. 3.5lbs of turkey fury, a.ka. a Yildiz 410 single. I normally don't care much for modern guns, but I just couldn't resist this one. It folds up so small it can fit in my backpack, or on the gun rack of my mountain bike, and it is a legitimate 40 yd turkey gun with the red dot sight and an 3" load of an ounce of #9 TSS. I'll be sighting it in over the next couple weeks.

This started out with a pow grip, so I had fun converting it to straight grip, filing off half the checkering, and adding the custom turkey tail pattern and gobbler head. Can't wait to use it! Very Happy

Last edited by UncleDanFan on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Gran16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Nice post up some of you pattern pictures when your done. Are you loading your own shells?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:15 am  Reply with quote

Gran16 wrote:
Nice post up some of you pattern pictures when your done. Are you loading your own shells?

Yes, in RMC brass hulls.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Hamishtheirishamish
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Mark,

"Outside the box" isn't even close. Well done sir. The art ain't bad either,,,,,(nyuk)

Very curious about which extended choke tube you chose. I'm thinking very hard about having a .410 double cut for tubes.

Rich
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I had a revelation again this year in the turkey woods; I remembered something I had forgot from the old days due to laziness and convenience. When I spent the month of March in Alabama, I took my big double down because my brother was hankering for a gun to kill a deer with. Sighting down those barrels reminded me of why I used to tote doubles; I like the ability to instantly alter my choice of shot size and choke for more versatility. My Bo Whoop (sorry Mr. Nash) sports mod and full barrels and in the day I shot 7.5’s in the right barrel and anything from 4’s to 6’s in the left. Running and gunning changes shooting conditions and unlike pumps and shuckers, two pipes are quiet when you open and close them so changing shot in that left barrel is an option. I rarely use anything larger than 6’s in the right barrel because that’s my “oh heck that boy has slipped in less than 20 yards without me knowing it” and I want as dense a pattern as possible for a close, running or flying target.

There was a time that I had a box of 3” lead 4 shot duck loads that patterned incredibly well out of the full choke, but I got tired of trying to replace them when I finally shot them up. That said, I’m all for doubles and if my brother is willing I’m going to trade my way back to Bo. I’ve shot a plastic BPS for years and killed a heap of turkeys with it, but I bought that gun to keep from toting the old guns in the rain. I’m going. Ack to doubles and a nice and light Sterly 16 might be in my future. Keep your options open.

Reno

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I had a revelation again this year in the turkey woods; I remembered something I had forgot from the old days due to laziness and convenience. When I spent the month of March in Alabama, I took my big double down because my brother was hankering for a gun to kill a deer with. Sighting down those barrels reminded me of why I used to tote doubles; I like the ability to instantly alter my choice of shot size and choke for more versatility. My Bo Whoop (sorry Mr. Nash) sports mod and full barrels and in the day I shot 7.5’s in the right barrel and anything from 4’s to 6’s in the left. Running and gunning changes shooting conditions and unlike pumps and shuckers, two pipes are quiet when you open and close them so changing shot in that left barrel is an option. I rarely use anything larger than 6’s in the right barrel because that’s my “oh heck that boy has slipped in less than 20 yards without me knowing it” and I want as dense a pattern as possible for a close, running or flying target.

There was a time that I had a box of 3” lead 4 shot duck loads that patterned incredibly well out of the full choke, but I got tired of trying to replace them when I finally shot them up. That said, I’m all for doubles and if my brother is willing I’m going to trade my way back to Bo. I’ve shot a plastic BPS for years and killed a heap of turkeys with it, but I bought that gun to keep from toting the old guns in the rain. I’m going. Ack to doubles and a nice and light Sterly 16 might be in my future. Keep your options open.

Reno

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
Why does a turkey gun need a camo job ????

All that turkey will ever see is the little black hole pointed at them .

I am sitting here thinking about all the turkey I have shot over the years , none have , now take that back I have shot 2 birds in the fall with my german sxs camo duck gun and steel shot.

Only reason that gun has paint on it is to keep the thing from rusting and to cover up all the Accra glass that was used to reconstruct the busted up stock .

I occasionally still take a bet or two when someone new bets me that I cannot kill a bird in a flannel red checkered shirt , running out of takers around here anymore seems no one wants to bet any more , I still see them play the lottery though , kinda strange .

You can tell I am tired after running the self propelled brush hog all day long .

Building food plots for those that have a hard time shooting game , I told them their was a name for them while we were working . Vegetarians.

All in good fun , maybe I can shoot a dove off the plots 🤗

Regards , Nick

I’m gonna take that bet but I want to be there to witness. Never killed a Missouri bird but Walter Parrot owes me a few hunts there. Reno