16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  **MODEL-12-TRAP 16GA (rare configuration)** SOLD
backfencer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Howdy all, I've been a member since late last spring. I've read and followed a lot of topics here, plus ordered up some good shell deals that have been shared too. I'm selling a sweet M-12 16ga that I shot a pile of doves with last year (it fits like a sporting clay gun). I purchased it from a good friend, and his grandfather bought it new. His grandfather hunted birds with it on his family farm through the 1980s. See below for description, please.

Late 1941 Winchester Model 12 TRAP, 16ga. with 28" Full Choke w/Solid Rib (.020 constriction), Serial #952XXX. LOP is 14-1/8"; D@C 1-7/16", D@H 1-1/2". The checkering is well worn but it is 20 LPI. The stock has beautiful 3x walnut, with the extra-long 3-Diamond forearm (that is a unique but standard option). These small frame 20ga and 16ga TRAP grades were available up until 1949/50 with no production during WWII. This gun shows definite signs of "hunting use", but not abuse.

This is an "all original" gun, that's more unique than most for this uncommon grade. It can be classified as a "transition piece", meaning most of the gun was built prior to production being halted for the war. After the war, the barrel was built and the final assembly completed. While it is a period-correct, pre-war Model 12, it sports a post-war barrel legend/date stamped barrel (47). Not completely unheard of, as Winchester utilized parts as they were found during production (normally observed on late 40's guns with pre-war barrel's). The receiver/mag extension serial numbers coincide with a late 1941 production. It has the "1922 Red Winchester" pad, plus it also has the "W" stamped below the serial # on the receiver. This "W" represents when Winchester changed over from the furnace blue process to the hot blue process before WWII. The "W" allowed QA/QC to track a batch of receivers for "flaking" (The "W" was the beginning or end of a batch of receivers).

It locks-up tight, as it's on the 2nd adjustment set of notches (2 notches showing to the left of the screw). Most folks won't or haven't seen this small frame TRAP grade M-12 in their life before, and it's unknown how few were made due to the records being lost in a fire at the factory in 1958/59.