16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  2 1/2" Low pressure using Longshot or 800-X?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

I find myself in need of low pressure data for 2 1/2" hulls, mostly 7/8 oz., but 3/4 oz. recipes are desired as well. I have a mountain of 16 ga. load data, but unfortunately most of what is listed for short hulls and these charge weights uses the three powders that Hogdon saw fit to discontinue. Unless I can stumble into 8-12 lbs. of PB of 7625, it's time to find data for powders that are actually easy to come by.

800-X and Longshot lend themselves well to getting the most velocity with the least pressure, especially Longshot. That said, it should be easily possible to get 1150-1200 fps with pressures below the 7,000 psi mark.

Data using DR 16 or WAA 16 type wads would also be handy, but I can see I need order a bunch of SG16's since what data I have found, mostly uses that wad.

So...does anybody have good data using 800-X or Longshot with 3/4 or 7/8 oz. of lead shot?

ShowMeSon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo,
I have used low pressure loads with both 800X and LS in my 2 1/2” SxS’s but switched to this International load a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back. I shared it with Mark on another thread so will just copy it here for you.

“Mark, this is my favorite 3/4 oz load using the DR16 in a 2 1/2” Cheddite.
15.9 gr of International in front of a Ched 209 - 1150 fps & 6200 psi”
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

I actually have that series of International loads in my notebook, starting at 15.3 gr. for 1,100 fps and 5,700 psi.

ShowMeSon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Wyo. From that I can extrapolate 15.5 & 15.7 guesstimates but if you have them handy I’d appreciate your sharing them. Thanks.

And if you don’t get any 800X & LS suggestions I’ll look back in my notes when I get home & see what I can pass on to you.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:56 am  Reply with quote

From the Hogdon reloading data site:

Cheddite 2 1/2" hull
3/4 oz. lead shot
DR 16 wad
Cheddite 209 primer
15.3 gr. International: 1,100 fps & 5,700 psi
15.9 gr. International: 1,150 fps & 6,200 psi
16.6 gr. International: 1,200 fps & 6,700 psi

ShowMeSon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:18 am  Reply with quote

Thanks so much.
ShowMeSon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Garhart, my apologies for the delayed response. My arthritis likes this load and it has been a warm weather favorite for clays.

Ched’s 2 1/2” hull & 209 primer. 3/4 oz load in a SG16 with 18.8 gr of Longshot.
1138 fps & 4733 psi.

It comes from the low pressure group data and carries a note from Tom Armbrust, “Very consistent”. That’s been my experience with it as well.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:37 am  Reply with quote

As long as your not using longshot in an auto it works well. I done up a load with long shot and about 23 grains. It cycled ok but pretty hard recoil and very dirty. Switched to universal. Less powder, cleaner and does all that longshot will do at the range I needed.
3birddogs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Garhart, Here is a 1 oz low pressure load I got over on the Parker website, he had it tested by Precision Reloading. I am going to load some up for pheasant when I get some Longshot.
Cheddite 2 1/2" hull
Win 209 primer
SG 16 wad
18 gr Longshot
1 oz lead
1200 fps 7270psi
Don't need this for grouse and woodcock, but looks good for bigger plains birds.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Thank you. I have that load in my reloader's notebook. I didn't end up needing low pressure for the gun I ended up buying, but this load is a good one and a super candidate for adding buffer. There will be a wad substitution, details on that in the future.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:09 am  Reply with quote

3birddogs wrote:
Garhart, Here is a 1 oz low pressure load I got over on the Parker website, he had it tested by Precision Reloading. I am going to load some up for pheasant when I get some Longshot.
Cheddite 2 1/2" hull
Win 209 primer
SG 16 wad
18 gr Longshot
1 oz lead
1200 fps 7270psi
Don't need this for grouse and woodcock, but looks good for bigger plains birds.

Has anyone tried the load above with a Cheddite primer?
troutbum69
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

double vision wrote:
3birddogs wrote:
Cheddite 2 1/2" hull
Win 209 primer
SG 16 wad
18 gr Longshot
1 oz lead
1200 fps 7270psi

I loaded up about 6 boxes with this recipe, but a cheddite primer last year. Shot 4 of them. It performs well out of an old nitro special but my complaint is how dirty it burns. Leaves a lot of residue. Also could never get them to clock over 1140fps. Had to keep shooting factory rounds through the chrono to verify
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Burning dirty kind of happens with low pressure loads more often than "standard" pressure loads, or at least it seems that way. These powders are designed to work harder, but fill in nicely for low pressure ammo when needed...even if a bit dirty.

Check out the thread with the 2 1/2" 572 load that tested at just under 6,400 psi with good velocity. I haven't tried it yet to see how "dirty" it burns but the numbers look pretty good.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:20 am  Reply with quote

troutbum69 wrote:
double vision wrote:
3birddogs wrote:
Cheddite 2 1/2" hull
Win 209 primer
SG 16 wad
18 gr Longshot
1 oz lead
1200 fps 7270psi

I loaded up about 6 boxes with this recipe, but a cheddite primer last year. Shot 4 of them. It performs well out of an old nitro special but my complaint is how dirty it burns. Leaves a lot of residue. Also could never get them to clock over 1140fps. Had to keep shooting factory rounds through the chrono to verify

Thanks, troutbum. That's good to know and interesting that they topped out at 1140 fps.

Regarding target loads, in my modern guns I use an Remington hull, Claybuster 7/8 oz wad, and Green Dot. They are pretty clean and perform well.

In my old guns I made the switch to 3/4 oz in a 2.5" hull. 15.5 Green Dot, CH209, SG16. I'm impressed by how well these hammer clay targets. FN16ga had it tested and it's 7400 psi @ 1177 fps.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:04 am  Reply with quote

I have some of both powders and would be delighted if I could find a good clean 7/8 oz load with them. But I have not been able to come up with any. Both powders seem to like heavier faster loads, especially Longshot, which has been giving me irregular results with light loads. Red Dot has been the best powder by far for mild 7/8 oz skeet loads but sadly my supply will shortly be exhausted and I haven’t been able to find any online.

B.